Jump to content


Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

My fiancé and I have been together for over 8 months and are very much in love.

We met in Istanbul; my partner is Turkish, whilst I am a British citizen.
My fiancé lives in Istanbul, with a very good job (Revenue manager earning over 100,000 Turkish Lira / annum).  I live in London, and also have a good job that pays £120,00/annum.
We want to be together, and as I have a child, we will be settling in London.  My partner has visited me in London a number of times, with a visitor visa - and will be coming again on March 20th.  I have 2 questions:
  1.  Should we get married in Istanbul and then apply for a spouse visa in the UK?
    1. If so, I believe we apply for this when in Turkey after we get married?
  2. Should we switch my boyfriends visitor visa to a fiance visa when he is next in the UK?
    1. If so does this mean he is free to go back and fourth from Istanbul to  the London until we are married.
    2. Does he have to apply for the spouse visa from the UK?
I am also interested to know, if anyone could advise on the premium one day spouse and fiance visa service offered through the UK Government.
Thank you!


Link to comment

Dear Hilarymo, 


Let me tell you my personal idea regarding your applications. 


Although, fiance status has been recognised before the Family Courts ( for ins. compensation in the event of break up etc), it is not an official marital status written on Turkish ID or any other official ID's. Thus, I doubt that such an marital status has been introduced before UK Immigration Office either.


For this reason, IF your prospective husband would like to apply to a spouse Visa (which is common and respected by the EU Immigration Authorities) that would be much more convenient for you two get married in Turkey and apply with your marriage papers in order to have a long term visa.


Wish you a happy long term marriage, 



Link to comment



Personally I would say get married in Turkey and apply for spouse visa from there. I don't think there is a specific waiting period. Have you looked on the UKBA website as the criteria for visa's is very strict nowadays so I would make sure you feel confident you meet all of them.


Saying that I do know of people who come on a fiancé visa which I believe is valid for 6 months I would check with an immigration lawyer if you can apply for a spouse visa after this. Information can be found at https://www.gov.uk/browse/visas-immigration.



Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Create New...