Work Visa Advice for Turkey

Rate this topic

I've been looking at teaching in Turkey through the company 'teach to travel'. 

Their website says: 'You will have your Residency Permit applied for before you arrive in Turkey, however, you will need to pick it up from the bureau in Turkey within 90 days of your arrival. You will need to get a tourist visa at the Turkish airport when you arrive. You will pick up your residency permit after this. You will also be picking up your work permit in Turkey.'

What I don't understand is why can't they put in the application for the Work Permit before I arrive in the country (the job starts months down the line after all)

Any advice is greatly appreciated, thanks!

Teach to Travel is not a company with a good reputation. Do you have experience and qualifications? If so, I would not use them to get a job. 

cayaholic: It would be useful if you would tell Epititus and the rest of us why do you say that and what is the problem with them?

Do you have any references of people who have had problems with them?

Do you know of any reliable organisations that Epititus can contact?

Epititus, are you in the UK now? Why not visit Teach to Travel and get your questions answered? Part of their web site says: "The locations themselves are decided upon by the schools in Istanbul, depending on qualifications and interview. However, there will be a degree of flexibility with regards to this."  This seems rather vague to me. If you could find out from the a list of the schools they work with, you could also write the schools directly and find out if they work with T to T.

You can search for a List of Universities in Turkey  or look at this List by Ranking. Then put together a "generic" cover letter and write the head of the English department. I would not try to tackle high schools or elementary schools unless you are a very experienced teacher. The hassles with younger kids is a cultural shock that a newbie has great difficulty dealing with.  Most major universities which have an English language program are always on the lookout for qualified teachers. Write them direct and see what responses you get. Try to arrange interviews all around the same time and then come to Turkey and visit them each.