Sign in to follow this  
ali1976

New York Style Pizza

Rate this topic

Hello everybody,

I recently came back to Izmir from Baltimore. I am of Turkish origin and spent about 9 years in the USA teaching. One of the many things I miss about the States is good pizza. I haven't been able to find it so far. Does anyone know of any place that makes good New York or Italian style pizza here? No Chicago style, please! smile.png

Thanks,

Ali

Hi Ali, welcome to the Forum and to Izmir. I lived in Izmir for 4 years in the 80s. Turks are famous for their cuisine, but not for their love of the cuisine of others. generally most Turks will know that pizza should be round unlike their own pide which is oval. Beyond that they are not interested. when I was in Izmir there was one pizza place (Pizza hat) and one Chinese restaurant (whose patrons were the NATO personnel nearby). Enjoy the fabulous city and lovely people but don't break your heart looking for authentic foreign food.

The special ingedient is 'oregano' herb lightly sprinkled over the cheese and the marinara sauce on the dough. Any other tomato sauce would change the flavour. I make pizza at home, but it always comes out different everytime smile.png There isn't anywhere I can recall that does authentic italian or NY style pizza. The secret NY flavour must be in the marinana sauce.

:lol:  He wants NY style pizza! I've never even had a NY style pizza so I doubt I can make one. I put all sorts of things in my pizza, experiment with carrot, sweet corn, sun dried tomatos etc. One day I had some sauerkraut and added a bit on the top, that's not for everyone. Authentic italian pizza always has oregano and that special marinara sauce, one has to know how to make a good marinara. blush

Oregano and thyme are both part of the mint family of herbs. So maybe kekik could be either. A professional will have to taste test. Like Ali missing NY pizza, I miss coconut water which I drank everyday until I moved here.

Hello Ali, 

I do not know if they are good at NY type of pizza, but Pistorante Pizzaria Venedik in Alsancak is by far the best pizza place you can eat. 

Please find the location and feed back infos: https://tr.foursquare.com/v/ristorante-pizzeria-venedik/4bc4a7f3abf49521dc56c593

You may find the price little bit expensive, but it is absolutely worth to try at least once. You wouldn't be regretful. 

Bon Appetit ! 

Best, 

I agree. Pizza Venedik is "the" Italian restaurant in Izmir.

Go to maps.google.com and enter these coordinates:

38.432208, 27.137953

It's right around there.

I'm also from Maryland. Silver Spring specifically. I miss the pizzas from America. The Turkish pizzas are lousy by comparison. They don't use enough tomato sauce. If you ask for tomato sauce, they give you little packets of ketchup on the side. The toppings as well are rather sub-standard.

In Izmir, Pizza Venedik is the best choice. If you find anything better, please let us know by posting about it. :)