Sign in to follow this  
eruza

Utilities

Rate this topic

I'm renting a flat in a large apartment building. The utilities are shared and the bill has increased over the winter months a lot. I am now paying 500TL for utilities this month. I have no idea how much is normal but do I have the right to ask to see the utility bills and to know how many apartments it's divided into? The kapici says the people who get the bills are on another floor and so the kapici says she just hands out the divided bills to the tenants and doesn't get to see the bills either. The amount is always a very rough number like 150, 200, 300, 400...never 427. So I have a feeling I'm being ripped off. Any thoughts?

My electric bill is usually 200 - 300tl in the winter due to the heaters. Rest of the year is about 100tl or less. Water is never more than 50tl. I get utility billls from the companies. Internet + phone is 70tl.

Request your bills, it's for your apartment. Only way to know the amount. I don' know if you could check the amount from the Utilities' offices.  confused1%5B1%5D.gif  

No matter how high or low your bills are, you have a right to know how they are calculated.  You and the other residents should get together & ask those "people who get the bills" to show those bills & account for how they have allocated amounts to each occupant.  You can ask questions like... how do they know how much electricity/water everyone has used?  (Some people may have been away for some of the time & not used their heaters perhaps). 

I don't see how they could refuse, but if they do, you can check the amount from the Utlities office as Yabancigirl suggests, and see if it agrees with the total of everyone's bills. There's often some kind of ripping-off in situations like this, so I don't blame you for being suspicious.

I hope you will share the reults of your actions with us, good luck ! :)

The bills are in the name of the people who are on another floor controlling the bills for the building. Also, I do pay my own electric bill separately, it comes to my mailbox and I have to pay it, for example last month the electric bill was 223.30TL. So, in addition to the electric bill I paid 450TL last month for the other bills. So, besides electric what could cost so much and increase during winter months I don't understand? Could this mean that I am paying for the electricity twice? 

Right. It sounds like I'm getting ripped off and probably other tenants are as well from what they've said. The couple across from us couldn't get any info about the bills last year and they just gave up.

The building people claim that although I have my own electric meter and bill there is a separate electric that I have to pay and that everyone has to pay because it is for the heating of the building and the lights in the hallway and stairs. Is this normal because to me makes no sense. Because my personal electric bill this winter is already between 200-300 like islandgirl says she pays in winter. I am about to let them know I won't pay another of their bills until they show me the breakdown. Is this a good way to handle it?

At my old apartment I only had to pay the kapici 50 TL so 500TL seems over the top do people here agree? 

Yes, it's possible you have to pay extra to heat the building, besides your own personal electricity bill.  My M-in-law lives in an apartment in Ankara & has to pay "aidat" (co-operative fees) every month 200 lira.  Most of this is used for the central heating of the whole building, and lighting of common areas.  Once in a while certain repairs are needed, so the aidat covers that too.  There should be regular meetings held so that residents can be informed of what's going on, and vote on things.  Doesn't this happen in your apartment?  All residents should be allowed to examine the books to see how much is spent where -- it's not a secret!  (Although, if their system is based on Turkish politics these days, they may claim it's none of your business to know, "just pay up & shut up" biggrin.png ). Also, do you know if "those people" take a commision for doing the job?

The fees seem excessively high to me. We live in a large house & our average winter electricity bill is well under 100 lira, and town water under 30 lira.  We do have well water, used mainly for garden in summer.  For heating we use a coal stove, for which the coal costs around 600 lira for the whole winter.  But costs do vary across areas & lifestyles ......... ???

BUT, the main thing is...... you still have a right to know !

Erusa,

Most blocks or sites have a person who is elected to supervise the upkeep, hire people to fix problems and pay bills, they are called the  'yönetici' try to find out who this is and ask to see the bills. they are obliged to keep the books up to date and there should be a public meeting once a year. I hope that this helps

Ok, so this is a pretty normal way of splitting the bills, but how much is normal in the winter for all utilities for a normal couple? Like I said we are paying about 750TL (but that is including 2 months electric, I just read the bill properly). So, it's 500 for the shared bills and an extra 250 for our personal electric bill, does this mean next month there be no electric bill and it will be a lot less expensive? That is strange because the shared bills seem to go up every month not every other month. I thought I would ask again here what are you people paying this month in bills to compare?

I thought I would ask again here what are you people paying this month in bills to compare?

If all this is in your tenant's agreement with the landlord, then you are obligated to pay. We pay for services also a fixed amount of 70tl per month. Read your contract to resolve this issue and get proper bills, it's the only way to know if you've been over charged.