Sign in to follow this  
translator

Water cut for Bodrum Peninsula

Rate this topic

Message received from Muğla Metropolitan Municipality:-

Due to the new construction and repairs to be to be done at the pipelines of D.S.İ. supplying water to the Bodrum Peninsula, there shall be a water cut for 25 days starting as of 24 January. Haven spoken to MUSKI Muğla, they inform us that D.S.İ will be pumping water from alternative lines at intervals but the schedule is not yet known. It is said that for those that have water tanks all should be kept full and for those that do not have any water tanks it is advised that they should be installed.

Should we be able to get any further information from D.S.İ. we shall be sharing with you all.

Thank you.

Wonderful, is it not that residents who do not have water tanks have 6 days in which to find and install them?

We looked at the Bodrum area a number of years ago and met with a Turkish builder who has an English partner. I had noticed that the Bodrum area has many old rain water cisterns that seemed to have fallen into disuse. I asked the builder if there were summer water shortages. He replied that during the hot months the water pressure dropped and occasionally stopped . So I then asked why they did not install rain water collection systems into every new house they  built. He replied "why would anyone want to do that?" Grrrrr. ranting3%5B1%5D.gif

Surely the Belediye needs to have regular times to come to each area with water in tankers at the very least. It's not as if water tankers are hard to find in the Bodrum area

Most houses built last century have some form of water tank as we rarely had a continuous water supply,  The authorities have implied that water will be supplied from the Mumcular dam and other pumping stations during the mains cut. 

I collect about 20 tons from the roof to an underground tank as do a lot of individually designed houses in the area.  Today I was watching the tons of water rushing off the hillside into the sea and thinking "what a waste".  The dam in Mumcular collects enough water in the winter to provide irrigation water for all the fields around and although it got pretty low by the end of the summer, it was still distributing water twice a week.  I suppose the geology of the area means that water is "collected" in the winter in the water table and can be pumped out in the summer.  Türk Kuyusu (Turkish well) area of Bodrum has been a source of underground water in Bodrum since Hellenistic times. 

UPDATE: The water cuts are due to start today 30 January for 15 days at least. "water will be provided from 71 wells and 82 tanks to reduce the inconvenience of the mains cut as much as possible." but the " MUSKİ Assistant General Manager Cem Yasar ; " There will be downtime periods in the water supply. We kindly ask our citizens to be careful in water consumption at this time , "he said .
So be prepared.

316 79 00 or 316 79 02 for direct inquiries to the local MUSKİ office

I collect about 20 tons from the roof to an underground tank as do a lot of individually designed houses in the area.  Today I was watching the tons of water rushing off the hillside into the sea and thinking "what a waste".  The dam in Mumcular collects enough water in the winter to provide irrigation water for all the fields around and although it got pretty low by the end of the summer, it was still distributing water twice a week.  I suppose the geology of the area means that water is "collected" in the winter in the water table and can be pumped out in the summer.  Türk Kuyusu (Turkish well) area of Bodrum has been a source of underground water in Bodrum since Hellenistic times. 

Good for you. kicking%5B1%5D.gif

Unfortunately the population is vastly larger now than in Hellenistic times in the area, this cannot last forever. without rainwater collection in the rainy winter months, "band-aid" add-ons will only add to the costs of providing water infrastructure to the region.  Someday will Bodrum be like Los Angeles? confused1%5B1%5D.gif