Sign in to follow this  
Maykil

Paid (Dovizli) army service and reporting for dual citizenship

Rate this topic

Hi,

I'm new on this site and have 2 questions that have been bothering me for a longtime.

I have been trying to get info on the paid (dovizli) military service. I was born in Istanbul and been living in NY for 19 years now, I am 32 years old, Turkish and US citizen, and also have delayed my army service until age of 38.

I called the NY consulate many times trying to understand dovizli service but the consulate people don't speak or understand English too well and wanted to see if anyone here can help.

I know that there is a new law that passed for bedelli military service for 18,000 lira and expires in 13 February but I am more interested in other, dovizli askerlik, which if I understand it right, is 6,000 euro and can be paid in 4 payments. My questions is, if I do this dovizli service do I still have to serve 21 days in the army? There has been so many changes to this law that I don't know if you have to serve anymore, I also know that the payment went down from 10,000 euro.

My second question is about the reporting of dual citizenship to Turkish consulate. I believe that my mom and I have done this about 5 years ago when we applied for new nufus cuzdani. Does reporting dual citizenship (US-Turkish) make me loose any benefits in Turkey, such as social security or health insurance (saglik sigorta)? I am asking these questions because I am planning to move back to Turkey

Thank you for any help

Maykil

Hi Maykil, welcome to our forum!  Have you tried using the search facility to seach these forums with "military service"?  You'll probably find most of the answers there.  Here's one of them for you : http://www.turkeycentral.com/topic/20431-avoiding-military-service/#entry93047  There are others too.

As for your second question, your dual citizenship will neither cause you to gain nor lose any "benefits" as a citizen while you are living in Turkey.  Your other citizenship should be stated on your kimlik once you report dual citizenship.  Also, if you don't already know, there's no need to travel with a Turkish passport ---- you can freely enter & leave Turkey using your American passport & kimlik together (Turkish passports are quite expensive biggrin.png ).

Social security (for retirement purposes) is obtained by compulsory contributions through employment. Supplementary retirement schemes by voluntary contributions are available. Health insurance is compulsory & must be paid for, although foreigners & those with dual citizenship may be able to get exemptions if adequately covered under a foreign scheme.

Here's hoping you enjoy our forum & will also share your experiences for the benefit of other members.  Good luck ! smile.png

Hi Meral,

Thank you for your reply and help with this topic. I will check the web site for my military question.

I guess we reported to Turkish Consulate about my American citizenship because I have been using only my American passport and kimlik to go back and forth to Turkey, since my Turkish passport expired many years ago, but I don't remember if it states American as well on my kimlik, I will check :)

Thank you