Norm

Shopping at the exchange in Alsancak

Rate this topic

Hi,

I'm an US Army retiree with a valid retiree ID card. I'll be arriving at Izmir tomorrow and want to make a quick stop at the shoppette or the exchange for some Newports ( I don't exactly know where I need to go to shop).  Do I need a special permit? If so, where can I obtain it? Thanks in advance for your replies.

You need to go to the legal office to get a letter, then sign it, and take it to the commissary. That's all you need. It's just a certification that you understand that your purchases are for yourself and not to be given or re-sold. I need to call them to see how I might go about telling people where it is without publishing it on an open forum, unfortunately, I'm not sure if that is okay or not.

Ken - it appears you've moved to Antalya, but based on about an hour of googling, you are clearly knowledgeable about Izmir. We (AF retirees) are visiting our daughter, who has been living here for a few years. Wondering if the information you provided above from 2014 is still accurate? We did a quick stop at the commissary today and were told that we needed a letter - but legal office closed today. Do you know if we need to bring any additional documentation with us to get the letter?

Cheers!

PS: Wish i'd found this site a few years ago! We've been enjoying our visits here, and you've done a great job of capturing the beauty of the city, the people, and life here! Now that we're retired, and daughter married a local, we'll be coming back quite often!

I just called the Commissary at Izmir. They said that all you need to do is go to the legal office and get a letter first, then you can shop there. You don't have to live in Izmir to shop there.

The letters are in the legal office, already printed out. Just walk in, show your ID card, and tell them you need a letter to shop in the commissary and BX. They'll hand you the letter.

You will read and acknowledge the laws regarding black marketing and sign the letter stating that you understand.

Then you can go shopping.

When you check out, present your ID card, and the letter. You will have no problems.

Well thank you, and you're welcome! The only thing I need is for people to join and subscribe to the İzmir forum, so we have more people who can help out whenever needed. But next time I'm in town I still might collect on that drink. :)

Happy shopping, and enjoy Izmir!

Bagels... Bacon... Can't get either of those in Antalya. Oh, how I envy you! I plan to fly up there with a big empty backpack for a big shopping trip after I get a deep freezer. Bon Appetit!

Wow! A deep freezer and HP sauce...tempting.