Rate this topic

Hello, I am thinking about moving to turkey but I am not able to find governmental universities in social sciences bachelor programs in English, and i did find private universities but those are so expensive, i was wondering if anyone has any tips for me on how to get into universities. 

I would also like some opinion about the work circumstances in turkey, i speak four languages ( Farsi, Dutch, English, Turkish), I do speak Turkish on a B2/C1 scale although I am not a Turk.  another thing that I was wondering is the beginner salaries and work circumstances, as if I move I have to provide for myself and live independently.

is it difficult to live on your own in turkey as a 20 year old girl ( in big cities, like Istanbul, Ankara, Izmir, Antalya) ?

I am aware of  the culture and most of the traditions but in real life  it is different, is the society used to young girls living on their own or do people look at it in a different way?

hope to be able to get some help from you guys smile.png

Thank you 

is it difficult to live on your own in turkey as a 20 year old girl ( in big cities, like Istanbul, Ankara, Izmir, Antalya) ?

I am aware of  the culture and most of the traditions but in real life  it is different, is the society used to young girls living on their own or do people look at it in a different way?

hope to be able to get some help from you guys smile.png

Thank you 

Alot of foreign female Teachers live alone when they come here because the cost of living is low in most cities except Istanbul, there it's a bit higher. It is relatively safe compared to many countries, you just need to be street smart and be careful with who has access to your home and address etc. as you would do back home, or in any country. It's nothing strange for a girl to live on her own as lots of University students do. Transport is quite easy once your figure out how to use the trains and buses. So it's not difficult for a 20 year old girl to live in Turkey. smile.png

i was wondering if anyone has any tips for me on how to get into universities.

I think each university would have its own procedures, so you would have to contact the university you want to attend, once you find it. You might try searching Google with Turkish words as well as English, that might bring up something new.

Getting a work permit as a foreigner isn't easy, however, if you can find a job which requires these languages, and they can't find an unemployed Turk to do that job, you can get hired and get a work permit.

Have a look at this article:

Turkey Work Permit

another thing that I was wondering is the beginner salaries and work circumstances, as if I move I have to provide for myself and live independently.

I spoke to a few Turks about this, and they said that the typical salary for a skilled Turkish worker is around 1,500 TL per month.

I agree with YabancıGirl's post, I don't think you will have any problems, but this is something nobody can predict. There are the usual cases of sexual harassment, which happens everywhere, and you might experience some of that. Especially in Istanbul.

I know that isn't much, but I hope it helps.

Hi it is hard to give advice without a few more details like what area of study are you interested in. Anyway this is a website by the Turkish government in relation to scholarships for foreigners wanting to study in Turkey. http://www.turkiyeburslari.gov.tr/index.php/en/

Some universities have very good scholarship programmes too for Masters studies. 

As regards to living on your own, my advice would be to live on campus until you got used to the city. A lot of students used to do that where I studied and then when they got to know people more they would rent out an apartment together which is cheaper. 

There are plenty of government universities offering a Bachelors in Social Science in English.  METU (Middle Eastern Technical University http://fef.metu.edu.tr/en/) is the most famous in Turkey, and they do have good Social Science programs (though not a blanket degree in "social science" - you would have to choose something more specific like History, Anthropology, Economics or Sociology).  Even if you don't get a scholarship, tuition is about 700 Lira/semester (I believe, you should check on that...)