LindseyInUSA

Young family moving to Turkey from US. Advice needed!

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

Hi all! My name's Lindsey, I'm a Board Certified Holistic Nutritionist & mother of two children, ages 2 & 4. My husband is Syrian-American & is a real estate investor. We originally planned to split our time between Syria & America once we had children but now that Syria (& most of the Middle East) is out of the question, we have been drawn to Turkey -- it seems to be a perfect fit for my family in so many ways! We are planning a visit in Jan & if all is well, we will move next fall. But we sure could use your help!

Although I'm mainly using my career to write books, is there a particular city where I'd likely be able to practice as a Nutritionist if I chose to? I mainly focus on children's health (alleviating symptoms of ADHD, recurring health issues, even autism) through diet. I understand learning Turkish would be essential, and I'm willing to learn.

Also, I am taken back by the price of private schools there! Is there a city where the public schools are particularly good? If we opted to homeschool, I'm assuming Istanbul would be our best option

.. ?

And lastly, we would like to find an area where there is more of an Islamic influence than a European one. I'm certainly no stranger to bars, clubs, bikinis, & such, but we'd really love a more modest feel than what we're immersed in here in America.

Thank you all for any advice your kindly willing to offer!

Ken Grubb likes this

I have no idea about the nutritionist thing but it's hard for foreigners to work here. 

Private schools are very expensive but government schools are seriously lacking in facilities. 

There are areas in every city which are more conservative than others and cities which are considered more conservative than others. So really you should choose a city and then narrow down the neighbourhoods. 

This sounds like a really huge move for you. I'm not sure I would do it myself with young children - do you know that many middle class Turks would love their children to have the opportunity to be educated in the USA? I suggest when you visit, you meet some expat families and visit some schools to see what they are really like. Does your husband have a job here?

Ken Grubb likes this

Thanks cayaholic. Is this true of a vast majority of public schools? That's unfortunate to hear!

Indeed I understand many would love the opportunity to school their children here, but the environment is not one I want my children to be immersed in (speaking from experience having been in public school all 12 years). Hence the reason that homeschooling rates here are increasing each year.

My husband will likely invest in real estate there as he does here.

Ken Grubb likes this

There are restrictions on foreigners owning property in Turkey making it a very complex and slow process. Also, there is a glut on the real estate market at the moment so your husband is unlikely to turn a profit easily. Government policies ensure that foreigners cannot take jobs that Turks can do. As a result you are unlikely to get work as a nutritionist as there are already Turks working in this position. I really doubt you will find what you are looking for in Turkey, other than an increasingly conservative society, albiet not in all places.

clothespeg and Ken Grubb like this