Sign in to follow this  
Adiec

Getting Married in Turkey on a Tourist Visa

Rate this topic

Dear Members,

Hope all is well.

I have a simple question which I urgently needs an answer for based on your accurate knowledge or expertise. Basically, I used to live in Istanbul for over two years on a student permit. My education now is completed and I move to Dubai for work proposes. Once or twice a month I visit GF here in Istanbul for 10 days or more and enter the country using my valid student permit.

My permit will expire on November and given the fact the new April rules and the permits that takes months to be delivered and given that I can’t stay for long time in Turkey for that, I have decided not to renew it after it expire.

Now I am getting married in December (only Baldyea Nikah), I know and have all the needed documents. My question is, do I need a resident permit in order to get married in Turkey? Or a valid tourist visa should do that job.

Please advise.

Thank you,

Adham

You will need to get a tourist visa to re-enter Turkey legally, since you are no longer in school.

I am not aware of any requirement that a person be a resident of Turkey to get married in Turkey. From what I understand, people get married in Turkey when neither of them are residents of Turkey. But to be sure, have your girlfriend double check this.

And if you would, please let us know the answer. I think nobody is replying because nobody knows for sure, and you may be the one who provides our community with this knowledge! smile.png

Hello Ken and thank you for your prompt reply.

I asked the Turkish authorities at the Airport whether I need to cancel my student permit since my education now is completed and I am no longer lives in Turkey, despite the fact I will come back and forth and despite I am still renting an apartment there, she said its fine as long as its valid and no need to cancel it till it expires, that was in April 2014 when I departed from Turkey for good.

When my girlfriend asked the Baldiyea at the date of this post, they say I have to get married before my permit expired. When she went to ask again two days back, they say its fine to get married on a tourist visa as long as its valid. So we got confused :S

Anyway, I will be in Turkey on the 23 of October on a tourist visa to know for sure the what's up and actually we will apply for the appointment on a tourist visa and see what will happen.

For sure I will let you know the answer.

Thank you again

Congrats on your marriage Adham! smile.png

The Turkish consulate & embassy in Dubai should be able to confirm that you can marry on a tourist visa here. You should check with them to be sure. No need for a residence permit as lots of tourists & foreigners do marry here.

Hello YabanciGirl, 

I have asked the consulate in Dubai and called the embassy in Abu Dhabi, no on seems to have a certine answer :( I guess I will have to figure it by myself at the end of Octobar.

This is what happens in a lot of cases. The government officials don't know, and don't seem to know who to ask or where to look it up (or they don't want to ask or look it up).

So often the best information you can get is from the personal experiences of people who have actually done it! smile.png

Hello All, 

The answer is NO you can't get married on a tourist visa and you can only get get married on a valid resident permeant.

I entered Turkey on a tourist visa "just in case". We gather all the margarine needed papers and we went to apply, they said where is my RS, I said its back home, she said, we can't get you married on tourist visa! So had to express DHL my RS from home and 2 days later I received it, went to apply, took the appointment, got married!

Moral of the story, its Turkey!

Congratulations Adiec!

And thanks, for letting us know what happened. smile.png

You are most welcome Ken, and thank you for your greetings. TurkeyCentral helped me a lot before and was a great source of information and I am glad to help the new comers to find what they're looking for :)

Wait.. I have a question at this point to Adiec ! You said your studies were over; you came back to Dubai and then went ot Turkey on a tourist visa and was told that you can not get married to your girlfriend on tourist visa and you need a residence permit. You said you DHL your residence permit from HOME? How did you have a residence permit?? weren't you having a tourist visa few seconds ago??

Well just curios Lol.

thanks for reply in advance ;)

Wait.. I have a question at this point to Adiec ! You said your studies were over; you came back to Dubai and then went ot Turkey on a tourist visa and was told that you can not get married to your girlfriend on tourist visa and you need a residence permit. You said you DHL your residence permit from HOME? How did you have a residence permit?? weren't you having a tourist visa few seconds ago??

Well just curios Lol.

thanks for reply in advance wink.png

Hello there, Fasial,

My studies were over, however; my premit was still vaild, and schduled to be expired 10 days prior to my wedding appoinmnet. My stay in Turkey was schduled for more than 10 days, thats why I enter on toursit visa.

Let me know if you have any questions I can help you with

Ok I got it... so it means to marry we need a residence permit which can be a student residence permit as well; but not on a tourist visa which is a sticker on the passport. 

This is understood now !

Ok I got it... so it means to marry we need a residence permit which can be a student residence permit as well; but not on a tourist visa which is a sticker on the passport. 

This is understood now !

That's correct!