Sign in to follow this  
surprise

Best approach to getting a Turk a U.S. tourist visa

Rate this topic

I am Living in Turkey. I have been with my boyfriend 4 years. Its time for a trip home see some family do some
business. I want him to go AND I need his help with some business matters.

I have been given conflicting info. Some people say for him to NOT mention me as they will think he won't return
but I am Living in Turkey and have residency for 3 1/2 years now. Can't he just say he wants to go on vacation
with me or will that be an immediate denial?

Would it be better to say that he is just going to see the U.S. and take a language course to improve his Englishand show some documentation that he plans to take a.course?

I've talked to alot of people who have received visas just by going to some language course. seems like thats
how everyone gets it unless you have a super good govt job or your a doctor etc which he's not .

He can provide bank statement He can also prove he has steady job although its not a super good one I just
don't know which route.

What if he said he was going to purchase some property there for investment purposes to improve his life in
Turkey since the $ is double to TL???

He was denied before years back He tried a couple times. They never told him why His English
wasn't good then,I don't know if that plays a roll. Now he speaks good A lot better than most here thanks
to all my talking with him.

I really want him to get the visa and I can't wait for any delays and I have to be back in the states very soon.

Anyone have any experience getting a U.S. tourist visa?

You had periods between every word in your post (.). Please use a space instead so people are able to read it.

The best thing to do is tell the truth.

The main thing the US government is concerned about is that foreigners who enter the US on a visa will go back to their own country when the visa is finished. They check to see if the person has assets, a good job, property, etc. in their home country to make sure they will go back and not disappear somewhere in the US and live there illegally. But they also need a sponsor, they need to say where they will be living and with whom, so I don't know why your friends are telling you that he shouldn't tell them about you.

Don't lie or try to deceive the immigration officials. They know all of the tricks.

Ken, Do you or does anyone on the forum know if citizens of the UK or the EU have the same difficulties as do Turkish citizens? I would be curious if there are British, German, French, Dutch, Belgian or other EU citizens who have much difficulty getting tourist visas.

Surprise, I agree you should not tell lies. Unfortunately being truthful does not always work either. An young American spent more than a year here and developed a strong relationship with a young Turkish woman. When he returned to the States, his parents wrote letters of sponsorship for her. She applied and was turned down three times, each time after personal and expensive visits to Ankara. She was never given a reason. Unfortunately she went by herself and is not a very assertive person.  This woman has been gainfully employed in Kaş for several years, she has family here, she has a bank account here and has an established live in Turkey. She has now given up and hopes her US friend will return.

My Turkish wife had a negative experience with the US consulate in Istanbul. We wanted to go for the graduation of my daughter from a Boston University. My wife is a retired businesswoman and had previously a US and a Schengen visa, both of long duration. During her business years she had visited both the US and the EU as well as the Orient many times. Her US visa had expired. Neither of us thought she would have any difficulty so she went by herself to renew and they said she could only get 3 months and had to be accompanied by me (her husband) at all times.

We were short on time when this happened so when we returned I went with her to complain and apply for a longer term visa. At first the staff were rude to both of us and after some bit of "raising my voice" I was passed of to a US consular employee (and US citizen, not a Turk) of some rank who asked me to please calm down. I told him that as a US citizen I was on US property and refused to be treated badly by Turkish consular staff.  I said I would calm down when they either gave her a long-term visa or give me a damned good reason why not. They gave her a 10-year visa.

The US government seems to think that everyone who applies for a tourist visa wants to pick up one of the bricks of gold that American streets are paved with. Forgetting that Turkish tourists spend dollars just like Brits and French and Germans who do not seem to have the same level of difficulty getting a tourist visa as do Turks.

I wish I had good answers for you.  Go with your fella and if they deny his application demand to see someone in charge and get a clear answer out of them as to why they are turning him down. There may be good reasons but he deserves to know what they are, he is in no position to demand to know why but you are...

Do you or does anyone on the forum know if citizens of the UK or the EU have the same difficulties as do Turkish citizens?

I don't know. I haven't heard of US immigration treating countries differently, but that doesn't mean they don't. I wonder how much of it boils down to the discretion of the person you talk to at the embassy or consulate, that is, do they make the decision by themselves, or is the application reviewed by others.

Ken, no matter who made the decision, a courteous reason why the applicant was turned down would surely not be a burden, yet the young woman was never told why she was turned down even though she did ask.

Any UK or EU members out there who have travelled to the US? Did you have any difficulties? If so, what were they?