Sign in to follow this  
Marvin

Overcharging of Tourists in Bodrum and Cesme

Rate this topic

Foreigners are overcharged for even the most inexpensive things at Bodrum and Cesme restaurants. This is shocking news for all of us.

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/tourists-in-bodrum-eat-the-worlds-most-expensive-dinner.aspx?pageID=238&nID=70593&NewsCatID=349

Shocking but not new. We moved from Bodrum in 2004. We had so many arguments with restaurant staff when we posed as tourists and spoke English to them. Taxis also tried the two light night rate if we spoke English. Now that we live in non-tourist ville we get the real prices and enjoy ourselves a lot more. The price quoted in this article is totally unacceptable.

I'm equally shocked at this.  Living in  Çeşme, I've noticed prices rising (especially in summer) & feared the place is slowly becoming another Bodrum.  I've observed tourists getting charged unbelievable prices for things like shoes & souvenirs ...... I think the traders are shooting themselves in the foot without realizing the consequences! :(

I remember once, in about 1984 being charged an astounding amount in a restaurant in Alanya. I complained, refused to pay, then agreed to pay the whole amount if he would give me an itemised bill with the price clearly shown for each item. i told them that i would take it to the tourist police the next day. suddenly the owner restaurant called his wife to say that he would be late. We had tea and came round to an agreeable price.

sure Ken, that's the law but back then not everyone stuck to the letter of it. nowadays if there is no price (even on things in shop windows) I walk away, it saves nasty surprises later.

Guys , I have experienced similar incidents quite a few times in Paris, Rome, Athens, during the days I was a frequent traveler from 80's till the mid  2000's ,while such surprises are a matter of routine in Istanbul and if you confront.. at times you may face aggression .

The most interesting experience is when you visit a developer's office showing interest in a property ,as a prospective buyer. You'll be shown a list of prices that are inflated by almost 20 percent since you are a foreigner. Goodness me !  a developer would be caught dead doing that in the West.. :confused:

I think Cesme has already become another Bodrum. I've been going there since 2003 and last 3 years I noticed that it became new Bodrum. Rich but mannerless and fool Turkish tourists racing their money against each other at luxurious but cheesy beaches, clubs and restaurants etc.

You ask to see a menu. The prices are on the menu. You order from the menu, then get the check. And the check should reflect the prices on the menu. Yeah people get overcharged, but couldn't that be prevented by people looking at the menu and prices before they order?

I'm not sure if you guys have noticed, some restaurants (just some) in Antalya have both English and Turkish menus, which are presented separately. If they notice you are a foreign tourist, they will present you with the English version, on which the prices are doubled. That's why I always speak Turkish for ordering food and I always require a Turkish menu.

There was once a guy who tried to sell me two pieces of simit bread for 50 Turkish Lira. He was shocked when I asked  "Şaka mı yapıyorsun?" Then I told him in Turkish that I lived in Adana and I know how things are going here. So, it saved me 47 TL.

My suggestion is, don't easily show that you know nothing about local price. Do some research before going on a trip. Of course it would be really helpful if you could just speak some Turkish. And always check the menu before you order.