Sign in to follow this  
linnea

Resigning from my 20 year job at university

Rate this topic

I have been working at a university in Istanbul as a editor on a year to year contract since 1987. Until last year we had the same boss, and we got a long very well. I am a very hard worker, love to meet deadlines, and he knew that if I could not meet a deadline, ,t meant there was too much work.

We have a new director whose expectations are wildly unreasonable. For example, in May he cut the time for my work from 8 to 2 weeks and when I informed him in writing that this was physical impossible, he telephone me and yelled at me.

The evening before bayram he said, "I was theses 800 pages in 6 days". I said that amount of work takes 6 weeks. Sİnce then he has been calling me and asking me what is wrong with me, why am I so slow. And what's worse, the students-- for the first time in 20 years-- have been asking why I am so slow. When I walked into the office I got the same thing.

I will be resigning as soon as I can catch him in his office. My questions are this:

1. Does a sözleşmeli employee need to give any kind of advanced notice. I will be quitting kust a few days before or on pay day.

2. Can I open a case against him for defamation of character? His comments to others could hurt my freelance business. I have spent 20 years carefully tending my image of friendly excellence.

I want to be prepared when I have my meeting with him. Any advice you could give me woul dbe greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Linnea

Another question. I e-mailed my boss asking for an appointment. He is very passive-aggressive (avoidant) and may not respond to me for several days. I would like to get this overwith. I do not want to hide in the bushes outside the Institute and jump out at him!

If he does not get back to me, say, within three days, can I send him my resignation letter via registered post?

I suspect that he is pushing me out of the position, which is his right. I'm not  upset about that. A director can have an institute however he likes. Fortunately I have been ready to leave there for a year already. And now it is time. But I suspect he may think that I want to go out fighting and as I am very good at debate he may want to avoid me at all cost. That's why I ask.

Well, ha ha.

I had a meeting with my boss. I handed him my resignation letter. We talked over everything .He rejected all of my criticisms ("you yelled at me. " "no I didn'", "you belittled my work." "No, I didn't.")

And in the end he said, "I want you to take two months of (paid) holiday just to relax, rest, and think about this decision."

I was not expecting that.

My first impression from your first message was that your boss was trying to make you quit your job but his suggestions surprised me. I think he might have a secret purpose since those suggestions seem too good to be true.

As for notice period, you may have already learned this but yes you have a notice period while resigning. You really should (or should have) talk to a lawyer who is specialized in business conflicts between employer - employee. In Turkey, courts tend to have an affirmative action on employees and you can win the court if you have reasonable arguments. Just for your info, it might take up to 2 years for court to finish the case because the law system in Turkey is really really really slow.