THY

Monthly living expenses of a single person owning an appartment in Istanbul

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Dear friends,

Here I have come up with yet another question. But before I proceed I will clarify that I know that the living costs per person varies person to person; everyone have their own lifestyle and habits But here I am going to ask the questions about someone who lives a basic life with basic needs someone can have.

So lets consider our Mr. A has an apartment of 100 sqm in a neighbourhood of Istanbul. He is alone to live in it. What is the minimum amount he is going to require in order to survive a month in Istanbul. Let me make it more simpler by posing 6 questions regarding basic needs and their cost. IN ISTANBUL:-

Q1. How much will the monthly medical insurance premium will cost? 246 Liras as I saw on this website under different article?

Q2. How much will be the monthly maintenance charges of an apartment of 100 sqm ? It isn't usually 1 Lira per sqm?

Q3. How much will be the electric, heating and water bill per month? (Only one person lives in the house, takes bath everyday and does not have an air conditioner)?

Q4. How much will an internet ADSL unlimited bandwidth connection costs per month ? Internet have become essential part of life. 

Q5. How much will be enough for the food per month? Lets say someone eats three times a day. Cooks at home the vegetables or the chicken, rice etc...? How much should be enough as grocery expense for a single person? 

Q6. How much does a regular monthly transport tariff cost? The monthly fixed card tariff which is valid in busses, metros and sub metros of Istanbul? I heard on internet that it is around 150 Turkish Liras. 

These are six basic questions which cover pretty much everything and are just enough to let anyone live a month in Istanbul. I would request my seniors on this forum to please take a bit of time answering these questions. It will be not only helpful for me but also for many others who wish to come to Istanbul for different purposes. 

Regards,

Faisal. eek%5B1%5D.gif  birgits_coffee%5B1%5D.gif  kicking%5B1%5D.gif  biggrin.png  smile.png

Q1. How much will the monthly medical insurance premium will cost? 246 Liras as I saw on this website under different article?

Q2. How much will be the monthly maintenance charges of an apartment of 100 sqm ? It isn't usually 1 Lira per sqm?

Q3. How much will be the electric, heating and water bill per month? (Only one person lives in the house, takes bath everyday and does not have an air conditioner)?

Q4. How much will an internet ADSL unlimited bandwidth connection costs per month ? Internet have become essential part of life. 

Q5. How much will be enough for the food per month? Lets say someone eats three times a day. Cooks at home the vegetables or the chicken, rice etc...? How much should be enough as grocery expense for a single person? 

Q6. How much does a regular monthly transport tariff cost? The monthly fixed card tariff which is valid in busses, metros and sub metros of Istanbul? I heard on internet that it is around 150 Turkish Liras.

Q1 - Article should be correct, around the approximate price.

Q2 - Check properties here for info, that will vary based on location http://www.sahibinden.com/arama?query_text=%C4%B1stanbul+1%2B1

Q3 - Winter bills tend to be higher than summer bills & based on how us use them > electric-50-100tl, water-10-60tl, Gas for Heating & cooking- 30-150tl.

Q4 - Internet packages range - 30-60tl, mine is wireless unlimited with TTNET it's 50tl & I got a landline with it.

Q5 - Average Food 40tl-100tl per month - Vegetables & fruits are very affordable at the pazaar-markets, I spend 10-15tl per week there, or 25-30tl per week if I get meat, cheese, olives, fish etc. Prices in Istanbul will be higher so you could increase costs it by 15%.

Q6 - Transport costs will vary depending on how far you will need to travel from home to work etc. I think there is a flat fare 2.15 TL (4 TL with token) but fares can be lower with specific transport cards like the Istanbul Kart.

Hi,

Thanks 

YabanciGirl for the reply.So if we summarize we get this.

Medical: 250 Liras

Maintenance charges: 100 Liras. (you misunderstood the term maintenance charges, the link you shared gives daily rental rooms. what i meant was maintenance charges per month for a flat (apartment)  that we already own.).

Bills: lets consider it to be 150 Liras. 50 each, electric, water and gas. 

Internet package: 60 Liras.

Average food: 120 Liras.

Transport: 150 Liras. monthly card. 

830 Liras approx. per month for a single person to live in Istanbul as of mid of 2014.

This is some good piece of information. It will be helpful for newbies.

Regards.

I spend around 1000 TL per month besides rent and utilities. But that includes food and transportation etc for 2 people and baby things like formula and diapers. Utilities is anoter 150 TL and rent is 500 TL. I would say that it costs a person around 1,500-2,000 TL to live comfortably in Istanbul.

The 120 TL for food is far too low for a month -- you would spend at least than much in a week!  I would allow around 500 for food in a month, for a single person. :)

It is all subjective, how many meals can you get out of a chicken? We would average 4, others may eat the whole thing at one sitting. i think that less than 1500TL would be a constant struggle, who would want that?

no one has mentioned the dreaded word 'cigarettes'

The 120 TL for food is far too low for a month -- you would spend at least than much in a week!  I would allow around 500 for food in a month, for a single person. smile.png

As a single person I would never spend 120 TL per week on food! But I do not eat meat every day and I eat simply.

Apart from cigarettes and other luxuries, you should also count in cleaning products and cosmetics; shampoo, tampons, facecream and toothpaste are very expensive in Turkey as is kitchen paper, washing-up liquid and other stuff like that. Even if you get the supermarket cheapo own brand, they are more expensive than in Europe.

IbrahimAbi and clothespeg like this

As a single person I would never spend 120 TL per week on food! But I do not eat meat every day and I eat simply.

Apart from cigarettes and other luxuries, you should also count in cleaning products and cosmetics; shampoo, tampons, facecream and toothpaste are very expensive in Turkey as is kitchen paper, washing-up liquid and other stuff like that. Even if you get the supermarket cheapo own brand, they are more expensive than in Europe.

You're right Vic :D  --- by food I should have included all those other things you mentioned, since Faisal didn't specifically include them with "food" nor list them separately -- but they are very necessary indeed!   tongue.png

Vic801 likes this

HI !!!

It might sound like an old topic; but in fact now I am somewhat ready to move to Turkey; I expect to be there by end of September; So lets recap what we learnt before.

As the article says that around 400 for food per month; 

Internet: 60

Transport: 150

Medical Insurance: 250

Electric, Water and Gas: 150

---------------------------------------

1010 Lira for one month (other than Rent).. If someone owns an apartment he wont be paying rent; if he wont then I think around 500 - 1000 Lira for rent also.

Are these stats up to date? Or there have been slight chance if last six months?

Thank you

Faisal.