SufeeYama

Internship Visa or Residence permit?

Rate this topic

I am an exchange student from Thailand who will go to Izmir(on 15 Sep 2014.) for a paid internship under  the programme called IAESTE(The International Association for the Exchange of Students for Technical Experience) with a turkish company.

I got so confuse from the Embassy of Turkey in Bangkok that whether what I need is an Internship Visa or only residence permit? About two months ago, two of my friends on the same program went to Turkey with Internship Visa when the consulate staff told me that I don’t need any Visa but only to apply for residence permit after my arrival in Turkey (Regarding Thai citizen exempt Visa  for 30 days visit). How is it possible that people under the same conditions require different document?

Please affirm me the clear answer.

Thanks

It sounds like what they are telling you is to come to Turkey without a visa, since you don't need one, then apply for a residence permit. That sounds reasonable to me, since you will have an employer here and it doesn't sound like the regular situation requiring a work visa since it's under some special program. Plus getting a visa from a consulate requires a lot more paperwork and time, and typically the Turkish government is giving residence permits to just about anybody who comes to Turkey on a tourist visa anyway.

I really don't think you will find better advice here than you would from the Turkish consulate, so you should do what they tell you.

Thank you for your answer.

I have read some information and came to conclusion that If one wants to live in Turkey 

exceeding 3 months eventhough they have a Visa or Visa exemption they need to apply for a resident permit.

from the http://www.egm.gov.tr/EN/Pages/Residence-Permit-Procedures.aspx it gives some examples;

Example 2: The implementation of visa exemption is 2 months (60 days) for Croatian citizens. Accordingly, a Croatian citizen who visits Turkey through benefiting from visa exemption implementation will not take any residence permit for 2 months. At the end of 2 months, if the citizen decides to continue staying in Turkey, she/he should have taken residence permit in accordance with 5683 numbered Law, Article 3, Clause 1. Because, visa period or visa exemption period should be at least 90 days in order to use 90 days which is specified in Council of Ministers Decision (If the Croatian citizen had taken 60 months of residence permit from foreign representatives of Turkey, the period of stay would have been 90 days without taking residence permit).

Example 3: Travels of Syrian citizens to Turkey are subject to consular visa. Therefore, Syrian citizens should apply to Turkish representatives in Syria before entering Turkey and take their visas. In this way, a Syrian citizen who comes to Turkey through taking visa for the purposes of relative visits, touristic visits and health issues for 20 days should have taken residence permit at the end of that 20 days period if she/he would continue to stay in Turkey due to the fact that visa duration is less than 90 days.

Now what I understand is since Thai citizens are given the visa exemption of 30 days and the procedure period to issue a resident permit is also 30 days, that's mean I should make an appointment NOW in Thailand right? as I am departing Thailand

on 15 Sep.

Now what i've recently read is the online appointment can be made only for ones who going to live in Istanbul.

For in my case who will live in Izmir, I could only apply through walking straight in and take the risk that I could

get my residence permit in time. my question is; Can I ask the consulate to issue me a 3 months internship Visa 

and apply for resident permit later in Turkey to extend the internship period to 1 year as planned?

one more question please, what type of residence permit shall I fall into? a student type?

Why dont I ask all these questions with the consulate in my country? because instead of giving me a clear explanation 

they give me the number to call to the immigration in Turkey. I got the feeling that they dont know deep in detail about my issue.

I have called to the immigration and nobody speaks English at the time! well so I rushed to this forum.

Thanks

I have read some information and came to conclusion that If one wants to live in Turkey 

exceeding 3 months eventhough they have a Visa or Visa exemption they need to apply for a resident permit.

That is correct. If you want to stay past the duration of your visa you must get a residence permit. And you should apply for one you get here, as soon as you can. Your visa gives you permission to enter Turkey and stay temporarily. You must have a residence permit to continue living here.

The only foreigner's bureau in Turkey which has an appointment system is the one in Istanbul. The rest you walk in and take a number and wait. That includes Izmir.

A Turkish consulate does not make appointments for the foreigners' bureaus in Turkey. They only make appointments for the consulate itself. So from how I am perceiving your situation, you need to come to Turkey, then go to the foreigners' bureau, in Izmir, and apply for a residence permit. No appointment is necessary.

Now what i've recently read is the online appointment can be made only for ones who going to live in Istanbul.

For in my case who will live in Izmir, I could only apply through walking straight in and take the risk that I could

get my residence permit in time.

Yes, you must physically go to the Izmir foreigners' bureau. It's in the Konak district, in a complex of buildings across from the ferry port.

When you apply, they will give you a paper which will serve as your residence permit until you receive the real one. So even if you go past the time of your visa, if you have that paper, you will be okay.

my question is; Can I ask the consulate to issue me a 3 months internship Visa 

and apply for resident permit later in Turkey to extend the internship period to 1 year as planned?

You can always ask them. But if I am interpreting what you are saying correctly, they are telling you just to come to Turkey on the visa you have, and apply for a residence permit in Izmir. That makes sense, you just need to get into the country with your visa, then apply. If you're on an internship it is highly doubtful that you will be rejected, because you have already been accepted for the internship. Also, if your visa runs out, and you don't yet have your residence permit, you will still have the paper the foreign police gave you, so you will be legally in Turkey the entire time.

one more question please, what type of residence permit shall I fall into? a student type?

If you're not going to school, it won't be a student residence permit. You'll probably get a short-term visa for one year. Short term visas can be used for tourism. But since you will be working as part of your internship, I think you will be getting a work visa.

Why dont I ask all these questions with the consulate in my country? because instead of giving me a clear explanation 

they give me the number to call to the immigration in Turkey. I got the feeling that they dont know deep in detail about my issue.

Unfortunately, this situation is common. That's why this forum is here. We all learn by the personal experiences of each other, and all of us were new to this at one time. Many of us have been in the same situation that you are in now. smile.png

The building you need to go to, in the Konak district, is here:

38.418889, 27.130226

Go to maps.google.com and enter that, exactly, into the search box. Hit search and you'll get a marker showing that building. The foreigner's bureau is on the 4th or 5th floor of that building.

Wow Thank you very much for your kind response with clear answers Ken! 
You help me a lot and am now more relaxed. But...

I thought I will be issued a student residence permit because the consulate told me that my internship is for educational purpose but they didn't say what type I should get. They said I dont need neither a work permit nor work visa . The internship programme is called IAESTE (The International Association for the Exchange of Students for Technical Experience) which I also think it lies under educational scope.

http://www.iaeste.org/about-iaeste/

What about that the high possibility that I will be rejected? Should I postpone the internship period to apply the residence permit before the internship start? If I really should, can I postpone it to a few days later in order to apply the RP or I must get the RP before so I can start the internship?

I am sorry that I bring you more questions but I promise I'll be definitely clear after this. 

Thank you very much for your time, you are the only one for now who provides me the beneficial detail!

What about that the high possibility that I will be rejected?

After reading through your posts I think I have a better idea of what's going on in your case.

Normally a student coming to Turkey needs a student visa. Normally a worker coming to Turkey needs a work visa. But there are some programs where these visa requirements are waived. It sounds like you are in one of those programs.

If they already gave you the internship, why would they then reject you? Your residence permit is already assured if you have been selected for an internship with a Turkish company. You will not be rejected.

Should I postpone the internship period to apply the residence permit before the internship start? If I really should, can I postpone it to a few days later in order to apply the RP or I must get the RP before so I can start the internship?

No. Don't postpone it, there is no need.

This is what is going to happen. You'll come to Turkey like the consulate says. Then you'll go and meet the people at the company. They will help you get your residence permit, whatever kind it is, and probably even go to the foreigner's bureau with you. They are not going to bring you all the way to Turkey and then reject you for a residence permit after they invited you here.

Really I would not worry about it, and I would just do what the consulate tells you to do. smile.png

Hi, according to my topic about residence permit application in order to stay in Izmir as an intern student for 1 year.The Directorate General for Migration Management Finally answered me what exactly I need to do.

I need to apply for an Internship Visa then go to Turkey and apply for a short-term residence permit which, again I found much complexity in the process. I want to make sure that I will collect the accurate documents so please kindly check my understanding.

- About the banking, I need a Turkish bank account to deposit money after my arrival. So I required tax number in order to do this.

-What is the exact amount of money if I want to stay for one year?

-If my internship provides stipend which it is already stated in the offering letter, can I use it as proof instead of bank statement that I am able to support myself during my stay in Turkey?

-I have to translate my insurance policy to Turkish and make it notarized. Where can I do this in Izmir? and How does it cost? or I should do it from Thailand?

-Also, I need my copies of passport signed and stamped by a Turkish notary?

-Do you have any recommendation about which bank and Turkish insurance company I should go for?(someone recommends Akbank and Allianz Sigorta)

I am sorry if my questions may seems silly in someways but I'm very new to this so pleaseeeeee advise me!

Thank you and any other recommendation also appreciated! 

What is the exact amount of money if I want to stay for one year?

When I lived in Izmir around three years ago, the amount was 300 TL per month $300 USD equivalent per month.

If my internship provides stipend which it is already stated in the offering letter, can I use it as proof instead of bank statement that I am able to support myself during my stay in Turkey?

Yes. If it's in English, you just need to have it translated and notarized. And it must say that you receive that money each month and state the duration of the payments.  The money-in-the-bank rule is mostly to give them assurance that you won't be working illegally. so if you have been invited to work on an internship, the local foreigner's bureau may not even ask you for this if you show them the documentation regarding your internship.

I have to translate my insurance policy to Turkish and make it notarized. Where can I do this in Izmir? and How does it cost? or I should do it from Thailand?

Ask around for a notar (notary). The foreigner's bureau may also be able to tell you where one is. The foreigner's bureau or the notar should also be able to tell you where a government-authorized translator's office is. There are plenty of notar offices in Izmir, I haven't had to use one in Izmir before so I can't tell you any exact locations.

Also, I need my copies of passport signed and stamped by a Turkish notary?

Not your passport, because your passport will have the required visa entry stamp which is made by the Turkish government. You just need copies of the identifying information pages and the page where you entry stamp is.

Do you have any recommendation about which bank and Turkish insurance company I should go for?(someone recommends Akbank and Allianz Sigorta)

Any Turkish bank will do. You can take the money out as soon as you get the receipt and give it to the foreign police with your application package. I don't have any recommendations for health insurance.

When I lived in Izmir around three years ago, the amount was 300 TL per month $300 USD equivalent per month.

Is what you really tend to mean is 300$ ? 

Thank you so much again Ken! smile.png smile.png smile.png  Phewwww I'll try, this is the first time in my life to hunt documents this complicated.

learnt lots of things by the waybirgits_coffee%5B1%5D.gif

One more time please Ken. As I dig deep more and more I find more complexity to solve!

regarding your article about the insurance, I thought I can choose an international private travel insurance from my country until I found this which is the rule that only specify for the short-term resident permit applicant (the type I fall into!)

to the best of my knowledge now, ONLY for short-term resident permit people need to apply for an insurance in Turkey right???

PS. I almost apply for an insurance today because I want to translate the policy to Turkish as soon as possible andl I found this topic by accident(so lucky!).

PS2. The good news is I finally issued the internship visa today!

I thought I can choose an international private travel insurance from my country until I found this which is the rule that only specify for the short-term resident permit applicant (the type I fall into!)

You'll be getting a short-term residence permit. Yes, you can get health insurance from your country as long as it meets the minimum standards required for Turkey. But I think the company which has invited you will probably take care of your health insurance needs.

to the best of my knowledge now, ONLY for short-term resident permit people need to apply for an insurance in Turkey right???

Not exactly correct, but don't worry. Yes, you'll be getting a short-term residence permit. Yes, you will need health insurance. I really think the company which has hired you will take care of this for you.

PS. I almost apply for an insurance today because I want to translate the policy to Turkish as soon as possible andl I found this topic by accident(so lucky!).

I don't think you need to do anything until you get here. Just come here on whatever visa they give you, find the company which has hired you and report to the boss. I think they will take care of all of this for you.

I am in Izmir right now and collecting all the document need.

due to my situation here I am not sure anymore that I will stay here up to the full 1 year as planned. may be just 3 to 6 months .

I have to ask you that...

1. I have my flat contract as prooft of address, do I need to make it notarized?

2. My internship paper and Visa say I have duration of 1 year internship and I have flat contract for just 4 months. and may be I will purchase an insurance just for 6 months. Is that OK for me to apply for 1 year of RP (or 6 months)?

2. As for Thai citizen, we are offered Visa exemption from Turkey for 1 month . But I was issued Staj Visa for 1 year and the stamp says I need to obtain RP within 1 month. May be if I will be here just 3 months, is it ok for me to stay here without an RP?

sorry for my complex question but I am in the situation, that said before, that I'm not sure how long I will be here.

Any update on this situation? I find myself in a similar situation, being a US citizen with a 90 day internahip visa. I am not sure whether I need an ikamet. Ive been getting different information from the Turkish authorities. If you would be willing to update us on your situation, I would greatly appreciate it!

1. I have my flat contract as prooft of address, do I need to make it notarized?

No. I have personally gotten a residence permit with a rental agreement which was not notarized.

2. My internship paper and Visa say I have duration of 1 year internship and I have flat contract for just 4 months. and may be I will purchase an insurance just for 6 months. Is that OK for me to apply for 1 year of RP (or 6 months)?

Be sure to understand that I don't work for the Directorate General of Migration Management, or the Turkish government, so to be sure you should always ask them.

I don't know what length of residence permit they will give you. But I think they will give it to you for one year because your internship is for one year. You should just have to report your change of address when you get a new apartment. Also, they will give you a one-year residence permit even if you have only a six-month insurance policy. HOWEVER, you must renew that policy or get another one as soon as it expires, or your residence permit will become invalid as soon as your health insurance expires. They will probably tell you that.

2. As for Thai citizen, we are offered Visa exemption from Turkey for 1 month . But I was issued Staj Visa for 1 year and the stamp says I need to obtain RP within 1 month. May be if I will be here just 3 months, is it ok for me to stay here without an RP?

I don't know what a Staj Visa is. What does your visa say? Can you type it here?  I think it is probably a one-year single-entry visa, meant to give you plenty of time to set things up before moving to Turkey, then enter, then get your residence permit within one month of arrival. It is not meant to serve as your residence permit.

Frankly, the best thing to do is what they tell you to do, and not try to figure out ways to get around it.

Divanihayat and SufeeYama, please update this topic after you go through the process and let us know what happened, we need more information on how this whole internship thing works.

Divanihayat, according to the law, if you are going to remain in Turkey for more than three months, or beyond the duration of whatever visa you have, you must get a residence permit. There are no exceptions.