Restrictions for M G licence plates

Rate this topic

New to the forum trying desperately to find information about driving restrictions.

Bought a new Toyota car and received MG plates and also restrictions as to who can drive this car.

Is this a mistake or can I have " designated drivers" so that my friends can drive the car when I am not in Turkey ?

Does it also mean that if I sell the car I can only sell it to a foreigner? I looked at many sites before buying the car and there was no mention of restrictions unless it was a " blue plate ".

I would appreciate some information. I am Canadian retired in Turkey so maybe the rules are different according to nationality?!

Hi Cita, welcome to Turkey Central. No it isn't a mistake. "M" plates are issued to foreigners who buy a car here, the "M" stands for Misafir meaning visitor. The restriction to being driven by members of your own immediate family with the same surname is quite normal and applies to all "M" plate vehicles. Friends and neighbours are not allowed to drive the car but you can sell it to a Turk or a foreigner, the process is the same but new plates have to be obtained if a Turk buys it.

Yes all foreigners who have a car registered in their name have "M" plates. No you can't change the plates for ordinary Turkish ones unless you become a Turkish citizen or put it in the name of a Turk. No designated drivers on insurance either, I tried that.

By the way, you'll notice in Izmir that there are some plates with three letters beginning with an "M" eg MKF. These are registered in Turkish names, they are not foreigners registrations.

You'll find there are many instances  of anomalies like this, eg why can't we bring bacon back from the Greek islands when it is sold in some shops in Turkey?

As they say...."Burası Türkiye".

I found this restriction incredibly annoying as I had paid the full price for a car out of the showroom.

However it does have advantages. Quite often when we are pulled over in a police check they take a look at the plates, then at us and wave us through without a wait as they don't want to speak 'foreign'. Doesn't often work if you are caught speeding though.

We have sold a MA plated car to a Turk without problems, he did have to change the plates

Thanks Ibrahim.

I will take this question further , maybe write to the Canadian Ambasy in Ankara , will think of something. Full taxes paid should come with the same privileges as afforded to Turkish citizens.

I still believe this is a mistake : foreigners go through the hoops for legal documents and when they get them don't questıon anything.

Thıs was defınıtely for the Blue plates but then was extended haphazardly to all foreign own cars. The Traffic Department could not show me the "rule, or regulation with this restriction " but they do it rutinely.

The problem arises if somebody else drives the car and is involved in an accident , probably the insurance will not pay.

Cita, we have tried. We went to the traffic department boss, taking along a friend who is a commandant of the local commando school to hep and translate. the rule is written and it does not differentiaite between the original tax not paid MA plates (or ZZ as they used to be when I registered my first bike here in 1984) and the new MA/B/C/D/E/F/G plates that are now required for all foreign residents.

I will take this question further , maybe write to the Canadian Ambasy in Ankara , will think of something. Full taxes paid should come with the same privileges as afforded to Turkish citizens.

I still believe this is a mistake : foreigners go through the hoops for legal documents and when they get them don't questıon anything...

Don't bother Cita, do you really think nobody has tried to take this further before? Do you really think nobody has questioned this before? It is not a mistake, it is the law. You are just going to be the latest in a long line of people who have tried and failed. Do yourself a favour and don't get stressed about about it, if you are going to try to fight against every little injustice you will not last long here.

If you can speak some Turkish or have a Turkish speaking friend who can go with you it is fairly easy to get it done. First stop is the local Trafik Polis office to get a list of what they require for the application (it's they who will issue the licence) then just jump through the hoops. It's not too hard and a good way to learn a bit about Turkish bureaucracy.

Sorry can't comment about 9ekim.com, never heard of them before reading your post.

Hello Cita,

I got a TurKish driving license by using my old British one  - my wife did all the legwork.

I required

hearing/eyesight certificate from a doctor,

Blood test to register you blood group

notarised translation of the original driving licence (60 TL)

Passport photographs (2-  I think)

A six week wait - until my old driving license was verified by (the British Embassy in Ankara Posted Image )

100Tl for the license and the license was isued

All in all the process took about 10 Weeks.

I did the same in Germany - the procedure was

Fill in a form - attach two photographs

Pay 35 Euros

Wait for the letter saying you can collect your license (3 days later)

Collect the license - but they take away the old one.Posted Image

Hello Cita,

I got a TurKish driving license by using my old British one  - my wife did all the legwork.

I required

hearing/eyesight certificate from a doctor,

Blood test to register you blood group

notarised translation of the original driving licence (60 TL)

Passport photographs (2-  I think)

A six week wait - until my old driving license was verified by (the British Embassy in Ankara Posted Image )

100Tl for the license and the license was isued

All in all the process took about 10 Weeks.

I did the same in Germany - the procedure was

Fill in a form - attach two photographs

Pay 35 Euros

Wait for the letter saying you can collect your license (3 days later)

Collect the license - but they take away the old one.Posted Image

I've heard from someone else from Holland that they take away your old driving license.  Not in my experience for a British license - maybe it's for other European licenses?

My husband and I went together to get a Turkish licence for me (he is Turkish)

We went first to the traffic office in the Belediye and asked what they wanted.  Then we got a notarised translation of the paper part of my British license, went to the village surgery to get the eye test certificate, got a couple of photos, and a photocopy of my British blood donor card showing my blood group.  Took everything back to the traffic office and I think we collected the Turkish licence the next day.  They did not ask for my British license - they had the notarised copy, and it didn't have to go anywhere to be verified!

Obviously no standard procedure!

If they do take away your original license, can you report it lost back in your own country and get a replacement?

I've heard from someone else from Holland that they take away your old driving license.  Not in my experience for a British license - maybe it's for other European licenses?

My husband and I went together to get a Turkish licence for me (he is Turkish)

We went first to the traffic office in the Belediye and asked what they wanted.  Then we got a notarised translation of the paper part of my British license, went to the village surgery to get the eye test certificate, got a couple of photos, and a photocopy of my British blood donor card showing my blood group.  Took everything back to the traffic office and I think we collected the Turkish licence the next day.  They did not ask for my British license - they had the notarised copy, and it didn't have to go anywhere to be verified!

Obviously no standard procedure!

If they do take away your original license, can you report it lost back in your own country and get a replacement?

Having said how easy that was - I've tried now applying for a motor cycle licence and am stuck because I can't produce a secondary school leaving certificate! Such things aren't issued in British Schools.  I have GCE certificates, but god knows where they are and whether they'd be acceptable!  And bear in mind, I already have a Turkish driving licence which, logically, requires that I am able to read and write - or am I missing something??