anyword will do

URGENT! Please help! I overstayed

Rate this topic

Hi all,

I am an Indian student doing my research internship in an university in Izmir. I came to Turkey on May 4, 2014. My visa validity was from April 16 to May 16, 2014(visa type: research). So I had gone to the police station near Konak, Izmir on May 9,2014 to get a Residence Permit. But I was told that the visa rule has changed and now for a research internship, the visa is valid for 3 months. So I need not to get the residence permit and I can stay in Turkey with this visa for 3 months. Though they didn't give me anything in written and when I asked they said that everyone knows about the change in visa rule and so I need not to worry

Yesterday, to inquire some other queries, I went to same police station and I was appalled to hear that there is no such change in visa rule and my visa had expired on 16 May. No one was ready to talk beyond this. They told me that I will have to pay the penalty on the airport.

Please suggest me what can I do now.I have only 2 weeks remaining. I am in contact with the Indian Embassy in Turkey and they told me that they will write a formal letter to Foreign Ministry of Turkey explaining this situation.I have also informed my hosting professor. I was afraid of this situation from a long time, and also to get the rules confirmed,I had sent a mail to a head officer of Turkey Ministry of Foreign Affair on 18 May, but till date I haven't got the reply. I am not able to find the visa rule for research internship on the internet. In this condition, How will I know my visa is valid or not?

Also the police officer told me that I have to pay about 250 lira as penalty but on the internet I am finding a varying penalty charge and some are exceptionally high. Is it possible that I can pay my penalty in the police station and get something in written as an official proof of paying penalty to show at airport. Also do I have an option to get banned for few years if i don't pay the fine amount. In that case, I think that the ban option is good for me. No doubt I have had a great time in Turkey and people are also very good, but due to this screwed system, I would not be disappointed if they don't let me come again. Do you think this will be good idea? Will the ban mark on my passport hinder me from getting visa of other countries like US, UK? what worst could happen if I don't have the money to pay as the fine on the airport?

Thank you for help.

I think the longer you stay the bigger the fine. I have no idea how much it's gonna be when you leave. Speak to your Embassy to see if they can advise you on how to extend or sort another visa or something. They're the only ones that will help you at this point.

I used to live in Izmir & the public/gov't-offical workers were rediculous. They used to send me from building to building trying to sort stuff out; chaos!

I think you've done all you can do. Unfortunately I don't have any information on the visa requirements for research internships.

The fines are usually a lot higher, but since you are here for a research internship (and not as a tourist) the fine may be lower because of that. In the past, for Izmir, the fines have been around 100 TL per day, but I once accidentally overstayed for 70 days and my total fine was around 600 TL. The alternative was a 90-day ban on re-entry into Turkey.

In my case, the US consular official in Izmir (who is a Turkish US Citizen) called the foreigner's bureau, so that might be part of the reason the fine was lower. The visa rules are written in Ankara, but the individual provinces carry them out, and they have flexibility on how they are enforced.

For short overstays (like ours) the ban is typically for 90 days. Of course if you pay the fine their is no ban. If the overstay is for a long time, the ban can be up to five years (the maximum). But again, if you pay the fine, you won't be banned.

This probably isn't much help, but again I think you've done about all you can do to handle the situation. If your embassy doesn't straighten it out in time, and your fine is only 250 TL, I think I would just pay it get on with my life.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. I hope this helps. I arrived in Istanbul last April 2, 2014 as a tourist with a 15day visa. I set an appointment with the immigration police 2days after i arrived, my appointment date was set June26. Unfortunately, I had to go back home(Philippines) in June, duty calls. Went back to the same immigration police but I was informed they can't do anything about it now since all applications are now being forwarded to Ankara. They can't even qoute how much I should pay for the penalty. So the day of my flight, I had butterflies in my stomach as I'm thinking I will pay a huge amount but they only charged me 123 TL! I was expecting 500. Only immigration police at the airport can tell you how much is the fine but its better to be prepared than not. Don't worry, they are nice people and very helpful. My advise is to go there 3 hours before your flight as you might experience queues. Will be back again in Istanbul for good in December. I miss the lamb kebap & ayran. Good luck! :)

Thank you all for your help. I again went to the police office yesterday with one of my Turkish friend. He talked to the official there about my situation. This time the officials were more friendlier and accepted that they might have made the mistake. But they told me that penalty has to be paid. The good thing is they told me that I will have to pay only 170 lira as penalty and it is much lesser than the total cost I would have paid if I had applied for R.P in the first place. I was bit relaxed and I just wanted to get it confirmed. So they showed me an official document in which penalty rates were mentioned. I took the copy of it. 

Shall i believe them this time? If this is true, I would be happy to pay the fine but if they ask for absurdly high fine it would be problem. I am still in contact with my embassy. But the situation has become better

Hi all,

I am Indian student currently doing my research internship in Izmir. My visa expired 2 months ago (visa type:research) and I didn't extend it because the foreign police department had misinformed me that it was not required for a research student. Now they are telling me that it was and now I will have to pay the overstay penalty on the airport. Please help me regarding.

1. They told me that I will have to pay only 170 lira as penalty and it is much lesser than the total cost I would have paid if I had applied for R.P in the first place. They also showed an official paper in which it was written that the penalty fee for 2 month is 60 dollar. But on the internet I am seeing that people have been asked a huge penalty in case of overstaying. If the same happens to me, what shall I do?

2. I really want to pay the fine beforehand somewhere so there is no problem on the airport. But they are telling me that I can pay nowhere other that airport. Is there no way out to pay the money now.

3. Someone said me not to pay the penalty at all, and you will be banned to enter Turkey for years. Will this be good idea?I have no problem in getting banned. But if they are going to hold me on the airport and won't let me go then its better to pay the fine. Can you tell me what will happen If I don't pay the fine?

4.  How earlier I shall reach the airport so that I can go through this and then catch my flight. Also,will they ask for any document  to prove that I was doing my research in the university?

Thanks a lot for reading. Waiting for your reply

Glad to hear the good news. By the way, you had opened another topic on this same issue so I merged it with this topic. I have already answered the questions that you asked again.

I paid my fine, in Izmir, in the same place you're going to, but I wasn't leaving the country. It is  normal for people who have overstayed to pay the fine at the airport when they leave.

Is there no way out to pay the money now.

The only people who can decide that is the people you talked to, so if they said no, the answer is no.

3. Someone said me not to pay the penalty at all, and you will be banned to enter Turkey for years. Will this be good idea?

Not if you want to return to Turkey. But actually, if you are banned and do want to return, all you have to do is pay the fine and you can re-enter.

Can you tell me what will happen If I don't pay the fine?

You will simply be banned from re-entering. For the amount you're talking about it will probably be for three months.

You pay the fine once you go through the immigration line and they give you your exit stamp. The immigration officer will check your passport on the computer and see that you have overstayed. Then you just pay the fine on the spot. It should be pretty quick.

Also,will they ask for any document  to prove that I was doing my research in the university?

No. They'll just look in the computer, see that you've overstayed, look on the chart to see how much you owe, then tell you to pay it. It's that simple. The immigration guy is not going to go through your whole story again. It will probably be much like going through the cashier at the grocery store.

If you have any further questions, please post them as a reply to this topic instead of opening another one. It helps us keep things tidy. Posted Image

This is for Mr. Ken

Very urgently need your advice!!!!

Me and my fiancee entered Istanbul January 15,2015 both with Iranian passports.

We were planning to get married here and leave for Italy cause thats where im from. Then she got pregnant weeks later in January and we decided to stay. To make it short, like an idiot, its July 27, 2015 and i still haven't applied for my Ikamet. I got everything else like the insurance, tax ID number. Home leased and everything.. Just not applied for the actual Ikamet.

Now i went to apply and they said sorry. So they say we have to pay the penalty for the overstay of 7 months..which is fine.. But will they let us back in Istanbul the same day.

We are looking to take the bus to the closest border to do the visa run and pay the penalty but some say that they are going to ban us and leave the country for 7 months, and some say the opposite. Some say since its your first time, you pay the penalty at the border and come right back promising to finish the Ikamet.

Please I need some real advice as my wife is 7 months pregnant and really stressed out. Our whole life is here.

Will they ban us for 7 the months, or just pay the penalty for the overstay and get right back in Istanbul??

We are looking to take the bus to the closest border cause she cant fly pregnant. I am an American citizen as well but I used my Iranian passport to enter turkey from Iran.

Please help with some good advice!! Will they just make us pay the penalty for 7 months overstay and let us get back in same day? Thank you very much for any input

i'm italyan and in summer 2012 i overstayed and got a fine of 500 tl and i was banned for 90 days. Maybe now things are changed or impredictable as usually in Turkey.

Brianniamehr,

Unfortunately I don't know. What I would suggest is contacting the US embassy or consulate near you, better yet go there. It doesn't matter what passport you used to enter. I have also overstayed, and the US consulate in Izmir looked after me. They made some telephone calls on my behalf and I just needed to pay a fine and apply for my residence permit.

That was completely different from what I heard at first. An immigration official told me I had to leave the country for three months, no other possibility available. But after I talked to the US consular official in Izmir, and she made a telephone call, I just had to pay a fine and submit the paperwork for my residence permit.

I don't know if the person you talk to at the US embassy or consulate near you will be as helpful to you as they were to me, but it is worth a try. But please make sure you tell them exactly what you want.

In your case you need someone to call someone with Turkish immigration and arrange for you to pay a fine. Make sure you tell them exactly that.

In my previous experiences, US government officials do a good job of looking after Americans overseas. But I would suggest actually going to a US government embassy or consulate rather than calling, in your case. I honestly think they will look after you, or at least try to help you as best they can.

Whatever happens, for good or bad, would you please continue this topic and tell us how it went for you?

Hey,

they are not giving entry bans so easily anymore, especially if it is your first time. If you pay the fine at the airport when leaving you are able to come back. But not sure if it is possible at the same day. maybe better to stay over for next day and then return. When returning you have to find your way to the help desk before passport control. They will check your information and give you an agreement to sign that you have 10 days time to apply.

But with this be careful! In my case there wasn't free appointments so quickly. So whatever they say make sure to go foreigns department during 10 days even without appointment and force them to do your application.

There's an exception to the 90-days within 180-day period. That is, if you have stayed in Turkey for 90 days and have to leave, but still want to live in Turkey, you can immediately return to Turkey and sign a document promising to go to the Directorate General For Migration Management office and apply for a residence permit within 10 days. I assume this is what you're talking about. I also don't know if you can return on the same day, but I haven't seen anything saying you can't.

Hi, any helpful suggestions will be welcome.

I have lived here in Turkey for 9 years.  I applied for my 1 year visa on January 26 2016 and as of 20 March have still not received my card.  I have called and emailed but to no avail and I need to leave the country in a couple of weeks.  I can show the border police I have applied for my visa but they would not know if it is late in arrival or  has been refused.  If I knew what fine I'd receive I would probably be ok with that but it might be thousands which I don't have.

I don't care about a ban I don't want to come back.