Sign in to follow this  
Cukurbagli

I applied for my new Residence Permit

Rate this topic

I handed in my application for a new residence permit (RP) last week. I gave 1 completed application form, 4 photos, 1 proof of ongoing pension to support myself (and notarised translation), my tapu and photocopy, 1 notarised translation of my passport with photocopy of my passport pages on the back, 1 Yerine ve Diğer Adres Belgesi from the Nufus office and 1 letter from the SGK Office stating that I am a member of the system.

Unless you have already done the eight years the RP is now only issued for a duration of one year. It now has to be renewed every year which has, at a stroke, increased the work of the personnel immensely. Whether it will remain an annual renewal remains to be seen.

If it is your first application for a RP you will have to get private health insurance, you are not allowed to use the SGK system until you have held a RP for a minimum of one year.

I received a document with one of my photos and an official stamp on it affirming that I have applied and I'm told that I can use this to leave and re-enter the country, haven't tried it yet.

It is best to get the SGK letter before your RP expires because your SGK membership expires on the same day. In the back of the RP booklet it says you can apply for renewal up to 15 days after the expiry date but of course then the SGK personnel can't honestly say you are a current member so it would be a good idea to apply for renewal earlier.

The Emniyet Police told me the new RP would be delivered by post to my address within seven days, working days I assume so I am starting to check in the post office daily now. I'll let you know when I get it.

EDIT Jun 2 2014: You can now apply for SGK after having a medical at a Devlet hospital ,even if this is going to be your 1st RP. People here in Bodrum are being accepted,as long as your old RP or evisa is still current.

Great info, thanks!

Apparently there is no "tourist residence permit" any more. Instead you get this "short-term" (one year) permit which is used for several different purposes, just one of which is living in Turkey without work permission.

what is "SGK"??

SGK is Health Insurance. 

Slight correction, SGK are the initials for  "Sosyal Güvenlik Kurumu"  SGK is the Republic of Turkey Social Security Institution, it is Government Health Insurance.

Thanks for the post Cukur

Apparently there is no "tourist residence permit" any more. Instead you get this "short-term" (one year) permit which is used for several different purposes, just one of which is living in Turkey without work permission.

And also apparently, countries are not divided into categories anymore, so no more restrictions on how long you can get a residence permit for (up to one year, of course). My country, Brazil, was listed as a category B country and I could only get residence permit for 6 months within a year. Things have changed now. That's what TNP in Kadikoy told me 2 weeks ago. I finally found a positive side about this new rules thing!

Thanks for sharing your experience. Can you tell me which department of SGK is dealing with these documents? My Turkish is not that good, so I want to do things right when I'm at their office.

Thanks for sharing your experience. Can you tell me which department of SGK is dealing with these documents? My Turkish is not that good, so I want to do things right when I'm at their office.

Well here in Kaş there is only one small office so they deal with it. If you have a number of offices in a bigger building then you'll have to ask, but it will be the SGK office or desk.

Not a good idea to go by yourself. Take a Turkish friend or hire a translator, it will be more than worth it. The office personnel may or may not speak any English, do not plan on it.

I received a document with one of my photos and an official stamp on it affirming that I have applied and I'm told that I can use this to leave and re-enter the country, haven't tried it yet.

I also received the same document, but now the person who helped me in application process says that i will not receive the original blue book, because turkish authorities has stopped giving it. I am confused. do you anything about this?

Also, my residence permit is for 6 months and i entered turkey with a 1 month business visa. Can i stay entire 6 months now or do i need to go back once after 3 months? One person told me that i need to go back in 90 days and then again come back.