Sign in to follow this  
MohamedAly

Social norms in Turkey

Rate this topic

Hi,

I am a guy from Egypt, Muslim and moderately religious (Pray, fast,etc...) considering marrying a Turkish girl. the problem is that i do not know are women in Turkey religious or just Muslims by birth? i am asking on average do people pray, fast in Ramadan? is it normal to have sexual relationships before marriage?

P.S 1: this does not mean i do not respect all people it is just that i believe this is essential for me for compatibility.

P.S 2: I know there is always all kind of people, i am speaking about the average and majority.

How is that you are considering marrying a Turkish girl, but you don't know anything about the culture???  Is it a meeting that's been arranged?

I'd say the smaller the town, the more conservative, in general. 

My husband's family is from Izmit, a town about 1.5 hours from Istanbul and they are very religious, but also pretty liberal.  The two are not mutually exclusive.

You will find a whole range and shades of religious belief in Turkey. In Antalya I know women who are atheists, Muslim but not practicing, and women who are very religious. I don't know how I would calculate an "average," but if you're very religious or not religious, you'll be able to meet a Turkish girl who is the same way.

Majority pray & fast for Ramadan, byram & eid are big festivals here. Sex before marriage, some do some don't, I don't know really. A god turkish girl would not until she's married. Small towns & the village areas have the most religious & conservative types. The big cities are more liberal. Real muslims shouldn't drink raki & smoke cigarettes, but hey it is what it is here lol  Posted Image

Small towns & the village areas have the most religious & conservative types. The big cities are more liberal.

I think that would better be said "the big cities have more liberal people." You would be surprised at how conservative some of the neighborhoods are around the places foreigners visit in Istanbul. Also other cities. We foreigners tend to meet the liberal types, not the conservative types. And we live in the cities. So it looks like like the liberal Turks are in the cities and the conservative Turks are in the villages, but this is not true. The conservative types are everywhere in Turkey. Just check to see what political party your local mayor is. If he's AKP, then you have a lot of conservative people in your locale.

Hi MohamedAly - are you asking because you have a specific Turkish girl in mind?  Or are you asking in general?  If there's a specific girl in mind, why not just ask her?