decoartsdeb

Relocation to Turkey questions

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Hello,

I am new to the site. I have accepted a teaching post in Bursa and will be moving to Turkey the first of August. I am trying to plan a budget and determine costs to get moved and set-up in new place. Some things I have been able to find out through research on various sites and search engines but I still have some questions. So, here they are.

1. Typically, for rentals what deposits are required? First, last or both? Damage deposit?

2. What deposits are required for utilities and are they applied for separately or together - like water/sewage/trash and electricity.

3. Is it hard to find rentals that accept small dogs (2 dachshunds under 20 lbs.)

4. Do most ex-pats get health insurance apart from what is offered through Turkish government?

5. For U.S. ex-pats - have any of you used U.S. Global Mail for mail/package services? How do you like it?

6. How good is internet service? Is it good enough to stream movies or Skype with folks back home? How about downloading e-books?

7. Is there anyone out there who lives and works in Bursa? I have sent out some posts on other sites but have gotten no response. 

8. What about phone services? I have a cell phone now. Should I bring it with me and get a service in Bursa?

I think that is all of the general questions for now. I do have some questions regarding teaching so if anyone has experience in that area please respond.

Thank!

Hi, Posted Image

1. For apartment rentals most of the time it's 1 month's rent in advance as the deposit. Check this local site for apartment listings > http://www.sahibinden.com/arama?query_text=kiralik+ev+bursa To search you can type Bursa Kiralik ev 1+1 if you're searching for a 1 bedroom, if it's a 2 bedroom then type Bursa Kiralik ev 2+1

2. For utilities you'll get the bill and you just pay them as they come. Sometimes the landlord transfers the bills in your name.

3. Concerning the dogs, it will depend on the landlord, some allow pets some won't.

6. The Internet is really good here I never use the tele, it's great for streaming movies & skype etc. Packages cost 30-50tl/month with TTNET

8. You can get your mobile unlocked here & buy a sim for it or just buy a new one.

Teaching Turkish kids isn't easy, in the begining they test your patience especially if you're new, it gets easier with time. One day I walked into my class & they started to sing gangam style & were dancing too. So I walked out & went to the teachers lounge & had some tea. They didn't know where I went & were scared that I went to the principal's office to complain, so they went looking for me & they got into trouble for being out of class Posted Image After my tea I went back in & started my lesson Posted Image Another time another class did the same thing so I recorded them with my phone & turned it in to the principal. Never work yourself up trying to get them to behave, just get the right person to deal with them.

1. Typically, for rentals what deposits are required? First, last or both? Damage deposit?

Normally it's the same as the first month's rent. I don't know what that would be in Bursa, but I assume it would be around 500 TL. If the landlord asks for an exorbitant amount for a deposit, walk away. They are simply trying to get as much of a deposit as they can because they have no intention of ever refunding it.

2. What deposits are required for utilities and are they applied for separately or together - like water/sewage/trash and electricity.

Have a look at this article:

Turkey Utilities

For electricity there's no deposit, just a fee for the hookup and I don't know how much that is. For water, there's a small deposit (like 50 TL) that you get back when you move.

Electric and water are applied for separately. For electric service, you need to visit the local Tedaş (teh-dash) office, or the equivalent in Bursa, that's the electric company. For water, that is handled by the municipality, or belediye (beh-leh-dee-yey). You can set this up at the local  belediye government building.

3. Is it hard to find rentals that accept small dogs (2 dachshunds under 20 lbs.)

Yes. You would need to talk to a landlord in advance about having pets. Pet-friendly apartment buildings can be found, but they are not abundant.

4. Do most ex-pats get health insurance apart from what is offered through Turkish government?

Unless you have your own health insurance, if you will be working in Turkey, you will be signed up for the Turkish government's healthcare plan.

5. For U.S. ex-pats - have any of you used U.S. Global Mail for mail/package services? How do you like it?

I have never heard of it.

6. How good is internet service? Is it good enough to stream movies or Skype with folks back home? How about downloading e-books?

It's good. I live in an area of Antalya where the internet service is bad by comparison. But still streaming movies, talking on Skype, and downloading is no problem.

7. Is there anyone out there who lives and works in Bursa? I have sent out some posts on other sites but have gotten no response. 

Search the forums for Bursa, and also the members' section for the keyword Bursa, I think we do have some members from there. You could contact them directly by PM or better yet invite them to engage you in a conversation in the forums.

8. What about phone services? I have a cell phone now. Should I bring it with me and get a service in Bursa?

You can bring it, but it has to have a band on which it can work in Turkey, and you must register it and pay a tax within 30 days of entering Turkey. See this article:

Mobile Phone Registration in Turkey

Wow I see that Yabancı Girl replied while I was composing this, thanks for your input on this also YabancıGirl. :)

NatalieSayin and decoartsdeb like this

Yeah we're up early  Posted Image

Thanks Ken and YabanciGirl!  YabanciGirl, I laughed out loud when I read your comment about your classroom. I had heard that classroom management could be an issue in Turkey. What age students were they?

I haven't had a chance to check out all of the links but I do appreciate all of the great information. I have a tendency to over analyze and over prepare for things so this evening I went for a long walk to clear my head and realized that I need to relax and quit sweating the details.

I will be making from 2700 to 2900 TL. I have been using a website called Numbeo to check the cost of living in Bursa. Based on its information I think I should be okay.

YabanciGirl - are you still teaching? Any other advice for a new ESL teacher?

I will continue to try to find other expats in Bursa.  I think finding others like myself who are either new to the area or have been in Bursa for a while will help with Culture Shock.

I am happy to hear about the internet service. I love watching movies on Netflix and I've just gotten an I-pad so that I can download books and talk with friends and family in the USA.

One other question - is it pretty easy and cheap to buy printers and ink in Turkey?

wow thats a good wage if after tax...in the sticks u get bugger all i think. I would say classroom management isnt always the main issue it maybe the students poor home study skills or the unrealistic parental expectations or for example the students lack of lateral thinking ....if you dont speak any Turkish i think this is more ideal as your brain will just work in one language and thats what you will teach! I think some Turkish students who have had Turkish English teachers will have a shock when they hear accent changes and have to speak just in the one language in class... If they have been used to having an English English teacher already this may not be the case. I dont know anyone who comes from or lives in Bursa but i hear its very nice as cities go. Wish you luck and hope the management are good and you find suitable accommodation. ;-)) (maybe the rent is high in Bursa this is why the wages are higher than i am used to seeing/hearing about)

Lucid - thanks for the insights into the students and teaching. I will be teaching adults and young adults. I have read on other forums that the young adults are ambitious and goal oriented and sometimes they take on more than they can handle. I can remember when I was that way and striving to achieve greatness. HA! Like that came to pass. Thanks again!

I taught the 3rd & 4th grades last year, they were real naughty sometimes. It's great that you're teaching adults, that's much easier.

Bursa is a beautiful city, looks like you're off to a good start Posted Image

hi again, i have only Taught in the sticks in Turkey, never a big city although i used to in London where i am from,  i didnt meet many ambitious students who were goal orientated, maybe only 3 that i clearly remember.  I also taught adults ,young adults and children and the adults had busy lives and were often sent by employers so were cramming in lessons and often had to put work/family before learning/lessons so attendance was random, the younger students were dead tired from being sent to dershane constantly to pass exams and many of the younger children were out of their depth as noone at home cared about homework set or their progress in real terms, just kept asking when will they start to speak English...I wonder what it must be like in big cities here..cant be worse than London regarding class management but i wouldnt fancy doing that again any time soon! I hope you get many a motivated student ;-) let us know how u go..am curious :-)

decoartsdeb likes this

Thanks YabanciGirl  for your vote of confidence! It is appreciated.

Lucid - how many years did you teach? Were you an ESL teacher?

Thanks for sharing the motivation (or lack of) for why students take English classes. The more information I have regarding classroom management and student motivation will help prepare me for my first day of class! 

One other question - is it pretty easy and cheap to buy printers and ink in Turkey?

Yes. Foreign brands are more expensive due to import taxes, but you should have no problem finding a printer that fits your budget. There are electronics stores in most malls which are full of computer equipment and peripherals, among other things. Basically anything you can get elsewhere, you can get in Turkey.

Thanks Ken! That answers a number of questions for me.

I have been looking at rentals on the Sahibinden website that YabanciGirl suggested. I have found a few furnished rentals that were great and I have found a number of unfurnished rentals that were great too. My question is this - how much would it cost to outfit an unfurnished place with fridge, stove, and a minimum of furnishings?  In your opinion, would I be better to get a furnished rental versus an unfurnished? Any and all help would be much appreciated!

how much would it cost to outfit an unfurnished place with fridge, stove, and a minimum of furnishings?

You could probably outfit your kitchen for 1,000 TL (probably less) easily if you go to a place called a "spot shop." These are places which sell second-hand appliances. You'll need to ask around where they are, but every city has a district which has a lot of spot shops. "Spot shop" is the same in Turkish and English. Sofas and arm chairs can also be found there for a few hundred lira, also beds. They will also deliver, often for free. I apologize for not knowing all of the prices, since I bought my stuff new. Someone else could correct me if I'm wrong. But I'd estimate a used fridge would cost around 400-500 TL, an oven-stove maybe 300 TL. Turkish brands are cheaper than European brands and seem to work just as well.

Personally, I'd go for the unfurnished place, since you can re-sell your stuff when you leave, and pay less rent along the way. Keep in mind though that when a Turkish renter leaves the place, they take EVERYTHING. I would say "everything but the kitchen sink," but the last renters in my place even took the faucets! You can find some places which have appliances (white goods) already, while the rest of it is unfurnished. But I think in the end it will depend on whether you like the place, whether furnished or unfurnished. If you're just going to be in Turkey for a year or so, a furnished place would be a lot less hassle.

You'll also need some type of wardrobe since Turkish apartments seldom have closets, you could get one or two of these for a few hundred lira.

Have a look at these articles:

Renting an Apartment in Turkey

Furnishing and Equipping Your Home

easily if you go to a place called a "spot shop."

Hi ,

Make sure you go with a Turk - but try not to communicate in English - do it with eye contact signs etc. and do not let the seller see you do it.

You are yabanci and therefore you are rich - the prices will reflect that concept.

Good luck

Ken - thanks for the links and good info!  I have visited all of the links and also the Articles tab at Turkey Central. I started looking through the categories and checking out articles then, I cut and pasted them into word and saved them for printing later. I am creating my own survival guide book! HA!

I do have another question - you seem like an old hand at this - how long have you lived in Turkey as an ex-pat?

GDB - I will certainly keep that advice in mind when I start my search. Thanks!

You guys are terrific and I am so glad I stumbled upon this site!