Christianity, Judaism & Islam statue

Rate this topic

Interesting statue I stumbled across in Hatay, Antakya, a few hours drive from the Syrian border. The first time I noticed it, it was covered by a canvas, now it's uncovered. What do you all make of it? It's kind of majestic isn't it? It's located on a dusty roundabout, surrounded by shops & traffic though. It seems out of place.
The religions are on the right hand & the world it seems is on the left. I still haven't found any info related to this statue, everyone in the city says it's been there forever & opinions differ about it's significance.

post-10244-0-55545400-1400431655_thumb.j

Sited on one of the main squares in Antakya, the provincial capital of Hatay, "the Statue of Tolerance" may not have been the most subtle work of art – two massive hands raised towards the sky, one holding a globe, the other a cross, a crescent and a Star of David – but it was meant to celebrate religious diversity and harmony among Christians, Muslims and Jews. Now it has turned into a symbol of the rising sectarian tension.

Six weeks after the sculpture was unveiled, vandals repeatedly defaced the Star of David. The religious symbols were then promptly – and somewhat ironically – exchanged for an olive branch by the municipality. It may though, be just papering over the cracks.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/sep/03/syria-crisis-threatens-turkish-tolerance

The rest of the article is interesting and very worrying.

This photo was taken December 2012. I remember it was covered up for a bit then uncovered. So now they have put in an olive branch after it got vandalised? Posted Image  That's letting the vandals win. The artist must have been pissed off! I would be if my artwork had to be changed. Bloody hell why people can't just be, & get along.

Countries like Afrganistan & Iran were once like Turkey very secular then they beacme islamic. 

Some pics of Afgan before the islamic revolution > http://www.messynessychic.com/2013/06/10/lost-in-time-groovy-afghanistan/

Some pics of Iran before the islamic revolution > http://www.pagef30.com/2009/04/iran-in-1970s-before-islamic-revolution.html

Most people there speak arabic amongst themselves, they use Turkish in school & work mostly. Some of the best food I've had in Turkey was from there, they use many spices to prepare veges & meat by marinating it before cooking.

Thanks for the link Sunny Posted Image

• 2 years later...

Hey all,

I have not seen this before but it gives a good and positive impression. As we live in world of wars and problems; it is good and peaceful to live with others with harmony. This statue does not mean that you are loosing your religion or changing it; it just means that you are ready to accept and live with others; no one else has the right to interfere in your religion or change it. You follow and do whatever you believe and trust in; No religion on this planet forbids others to practice their religion as long as they don't interfere in your matters and make matters difficult for you.

• 2 years later...
On 19/05/2014 at 00:22, YabanciGirl said:

This photo was taken December 2012. I remember it was covered up for a bit then uncovered. So now they have put in an olive branch after it got vandalised? Posted Image  That's letting the vandals win. The artist must have been pissed off! I would be if my artwork had to be changed. Bloody hell why people can't just be, & get along.

Countries like Afrganistan & Iran were once like Turkey very secular then they beacme islamic. 

Some pics of Afgan before the islamic revolution > http://www.messynessychic.com/2013/06/10/lost-in-time-groovy-afghanistan/

Some pics of Iran before the islamic revolution > http://www.pagef30.com/2009/04/iran-in-1970s-before-islamic-revolution.html

Most people there speak arabic amongst themselves, they use Turkish in school & work mostly. Some of the best food I've had in Turkey was from there, they use many spices to prepare veges & meat by marinating it before cooking.

Thanks for the link Sunny Posted Image

You failed to mention those countries were part of the Ottoman Empire (Islamic Empire) before they were forced to become Secular nations. Iran was forced to become secular in 1918 then in 1951 USA & UK forced a coup and destroyed their democracy and put in place a dictator until 1979 when they had the revolution to take their country back. Why is it so bad if a country want's to be a Islamic country? I know a lot of westerners living in Islamic countries very freely and love the safety and lifestyle.