Sign in to follow this  
thomasarm

VISA Help!

Rate this topic

Hello again everyone. I wasn't sure where to post this so forgive me if I am in the wrong section.

My girlfriend is Turkish and we desperately want her to visit me in America. She recently graduated so she doesn't have the financial records to gain a tourist visa. Does anyone know if I can put up my financials?

When researching the tourist visa I read that someone else can show their ability to cover the costs of visiting America--my only question: does this person have to be Turkish or can someone in the states (me, or my parents) show their financials in order to gain the tourist Visa?

Hope to hear from you all soon, everyone here is always so helpful and kind.

Have you tried asking the Turkish consulate in America?

I know for the Brits, it is not a case of the Turks won't let them out, it was the British government that wanted to see financial stability. So my experience of the rules might be different.

Great idea Natalie...the more I think about it the more I would guess that anyone could show their financial ability to pay, regardless if that person is in Turkey it America. I will check with the consulate though thank you so much.

You should probably contact a Turkish embassy or consulate about this to make sure. But let me tell you what I know. I went to a US embassy-sponsored business meeting for Turkish businessmen. One of the speakers addressed the visitor visa thing. From that briefing I am relating what was said. Lots of people want to come to the USA. The police and government in the USA don't watch them, nor do they keep track of where the go while inside the USA. Someone could just disappear into the country if they wanted to. Because of this lack of surveillance, the US immigration officials assume that someone entering the USA is coming to stay. Unless they prove otherwise. That involves having a job, a house, assets, etc... in the country they're coming from, to show that they intend to go back home when their visitor visa is finished. It is not a matter of how much money you have in the USA. It is a matter of proving that your friend fully intends to leave the USA and go back home when her visitor visa ends.

thomasarm, I'm curious as to if you've learned anything new, if you wouldn't mind sharing with me as I find myself in a very similar situation.  Feel free to message me privately if you're more comfortable with that.  

Ken - if the person (Turkish) has been at their job for almost 10 years and is in management, do you think that would help their chances in getting a tourist visa for the US?

Yes. It shows ties in the person's home country and is a strong indicator that they will return to their country when the visa is up. Owning property, a car, etc. also works. I just meant to explain that there was more to it than a visitor being able to support him or herself, the main focus is to be sure the person will leave when the visa is up.

Have a look here on the US Embassy Ankara website, here is the section for visitor visas:

http://turkey.usembassy.gov/b1_b2.html

Not all that helpful, but at the bottom there is a link to application procedures. I hope that helps. :)

Yes, it does, thanks Ken!

I've been doing the research on this end, but I want to make sure I know what the process is on the other end as well.  Based on all that I've read, it looks like my friend shouldn't have too much trouble getting a nonimmigrant visa to visit the US for a vacation.

Tourist visas are obtained via the internet now. Jut go to www.evisa.gov.tr, and go through the process, then pay by credit card. You'll be sent your e-visa by e-mail. Just print it out and show it when you enter Turkey.

There is no requirement for a hotel reservation. It's just a matter of applying, paying the fee, and receiving your visa by e-mail.

Have a look at this article:

Turkey E-visa system

It also has a video which explains the process.

That article is geared toward European visitors, Gambia might have different rules. With some countries, the e-visa system tells you to go to a Turkish consulate for the visa.

But I went to the e-visa site and entered my country as being "Gambia," just to check for you, and it said that I could buy the visa with a credit card without visiting a Turkish consulate. So you should also be able to do that.

That article also has links to other sites such as the Visa Requirements by Country. For Gambia, it says this:

Gambia: Ordinary, Special and Service passport holders are required to have visa to enter Turkey. These passport holders with a valid Schengen or OECD member's visa or residence permit may get their single entry e-Visas valid for one month e-Visas via the website www.evisa.gov.tr, provided that they meet certain conditions. Diplomatic passport holders are exempted from visa for their travels up to 90 days.