Sign in to follow this  
RaziDaz

Foreign house buyers to earn one-year residency in Turkey

Rate this topic

Hello Friends,

Here is the latest update on the residency permit issue we have all been wondering about.,

"The government in year 2014 extends the residence permit from three months to one year for house buyers from oversees with a law change, aiming to eliminate obstacles in front of the foreign buyers.Residence permits for foreigners that buy real estate in Turkey will be extended from three months to one year, according to an announcement in the Official Gazette.Foreigners who buy real estate in Turkey are allowed to obtain residence permits of one year at most, according to new legislation on the Law of Foreigners and International Protection.

Basically, the prodecure is that ....after you have an official T.C. tapu, you go back to your country and make the application at the Turkish Embassy who will grant you the one-year residency permit.

Also, the residency permit gets renewed every year...

Hope this helps..

Cheers

Basically, the prodecure is that ....after you have an official T.C. tapu, you go back to your country and make the application at the Turkish Embassy who will grant you the one-year residency permit.

Does it specifically say that you have to leave the country and come back after buying a house? That doesn't make much sense... but maybe they are still trying to figure out the law.

Anybody can apply for a residence permit from outside of Turkey, Actually it involves applying for a "residence visa" first, then getting a residence permit once you're in Turkey. Most people come to Turkey on a 180-day tourist visa, then they get a residence visa in Turkey. That can still be done, and I have seen nothing in the new laws that would require somebody who is already in Turkey to leave Turkey then have to apply for a residence permit in their home country. You can still come to Turkey on a tourist visa and get a residence permit in-country.

Hi, there must be different for certain passport bearers as I am Canadian and I bought a house before obtaining a residency permit and did not have to go back to Canada to apply.The residency was granted for the remaining validity of my passport ( four years ) after witch I was told would be renewed for the 10 year period . There was never a mention of one year residency.

When did you get your last residence permit? The rules were the same for me.  But I could show perpetual income, so they also gave me a residence permit that expired when my passport did.

From what I have read recently, residence permits will no longer be issued for longer than one year. But who knows, that might change too.

I got my residency permit in 2013, middle of March. I still believe there is no consistency ; rules are different according to nationality based on reciprocal agreements between Turkey and the respective country. They gave me 4 years , will take them !My new hoop I have to go through is Turkish driving license then will be Health insurance.At the moment I am still working in Iraq, come to Turkey only periodically but come next year I need to research and find a company that provides health insurance. Any suggestions?

SGK health insurance plan is great. It is approx TL 240 per month and covers pretty much basic medical needs.

You already got the residence permit. Now it have become a law that anyone who wishes to apply for a residence permit for real estate purchase have to get this insurance package or he wont be given the Residence permit...

Best of luck with it.

I already own a property but have a residence permit through employment at the moment. If I were to leave my job, does anyone know if I can renew my residency permit based on home ownership? If the answer is yes, do I still need to have health insurance? I live in Istanbul.

If the reason for your residence permit changes, you just need to report the change to the foreigner's bureau and they will issue a different type of residence permit. They will issue a residence permit based on home ownership. You will need to have health insurance unless you are over 65.

-Ken

This also applies to a student who is currently residing with a student residence permit but upon his purchase of property; he just goes to the foreigner's bureau and they will reissue him a new residence permit checking that his health insurance exists?

I have heard somewhere that if someone is already on a student residence permit which is usually valid for a year. He can not apply for another type of residence permit even though he have purchased a property. He needs to wait for the entire year to end so that his student residence permit expires and then he needs to put up the case regarding residence permit with real estate purchase. Is it really SO?

Regards.

This also applies to a student who is currently residing with a student residence permit but upon his purchase of property; he just goes to the foreigner's bureau and they will reissue him a new residence permit checking that his health insurance exists?

I read so much about the residence permit issue I can't always remember where I read something. But I did read from one of the government websites that when the purpose of a foreigner's residence permit changes, he or she should report the change to the foreigner's bureau, and the reason for the residence permit will be changed.

But I see your point regarding student residence permits. These are issued so a foreigner can go to school, not to live in Turkey indefinitely. So I can see why, in that case, the rule might be different. I haven't seen anything on this particular situation though.

I would like to have some clarity on this new law regarding residence permit . I have a villa in Bodrum which has been bought about 5 years ago . If I apply for resident permit do I only have to pay for this once and it gets renewed every year as long as I have a property in Turkey . Also would this cover my wife as well .

As far as my knowledge extends regarding this law.. You have to reapply it every year. The requirement is that you need to have a health insurance and have to show between 500-1000$ usd in a turkish bank for one month per person.. SO to make it simpler lets say 12000$ should be in your bank account ($6000 for you and $6000 for your wife) and if you apply from a bigger city than the amount is double. 

Yes wife and dependant kids are covered within this law. 

Regards.