KitKatKate

Moving to Izmir to teach English

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Hello everyone!

I am a CELTA-certified, English BA-holding qualified teacher currently living and teaching in Vietnam. I am looking to move to Izmir in two months, but have had trouble finding many job prospects online.

I've read the forum threads and people seem pretty confident about being able to find work in Turkey/Izmir. What I would like to know is: If I move to Izmir without a concrete job, how possible would it be to secure one (one which would pay for and support a work visa, at that) once I arrive?

I have no problem going to Izmir without a job, but would need to know that it's definitely possible to secure one once I arrived.

Thanks so much for reading this & I hope to hear from you all soon! You have a great community on this site-- v. cool.

Hello Kate,

Welcome to the forum

I am looking to move to Izmir in two months,

This means you will arrive sometime in June - possibly at the start of the school's summer holidays - which open again in September.

but would need to know that it's definitely possible to secure one once I arrived.

Kate  you probably know that nothing in this world is definite except - death.

I shall stop being a smartass - there a number of schools which require English teachers - from the top of my head there are - MEF (an International school language of instruction is English) - American College (ACI (a private school which teaches English as a foreign language)) - Piri Reis ( (French orientated) another private school which teaches English as a foreign language)) - TAKEV ((German orientated) another private school which teaches English as a foreign language).

There are numerous language schools which will (probably) not bother to get you a work permit - you must be aware of the consequences of that.

I suggest you google these schools and send them your CV - they may be looking for staff in the new school term.

If you require any other help - shout.

By the way I live in Urla near Izmir.

Good luck

There are numerous language schools which will (probably) not bother to get you a work permit - you must be aware of the consequences of that.

Good point GDB. The guys I knew who got jobs quickly were actually working illegally.

Kate you'll need to have an employer before you can get a work permit, and there are quite a few job search websites for jobs in Turkey. See these articles:

Finding a Job in Turkey

Getting a Work Permit in Turkey

I hope that helps.

Hi guys,

Thanks for the feedback! I've been emailing schools and sending my CV, CELTA-scan, etc. but many schools miss our Skype interviews, so we'll see how that all works out.

Guess I'll keep trying! 

Since I've been teaching abroad for a few years, I understand the importance of securing a legit. working visa ASAP-- schools which don't offer this service aren't worth working for.

Thanks for the support!

Cheers.

but many schools miss our Skype interviews, so we'll see how that all works out. Guess I'll keep trying! 

That's common in dealing with any Turkish business. They also are notorius for not answering e-mails. The squeaky wheel gets the grease, and a phone call often works best.

Since I've been teaching abroad for a few years, I understand the importance of securing a legit. working visa ASAP-- schools which don't offer this service aren't worth working for.

You're right. If they're serious, they'll work out the work permit issue with you. It's not that difficult for them and they can do their part online. I've known people who have worked teaching English without work permits, which I would never recommend. If you do that, you will have no recourse for complaint if they don't pay you. And maybe they won't pay you. Any reputable school will set up a work permit for you.

Hello Kate,

I am also an English teacher. I have heard that Özel Eğe Lisesi in Izmir is looking for teachers. It is a K-12 private school - you didn't mention if you are interested in teaching young people. You can pm me if you would like more details. I am leaving for Turkey on Monday, so I may not be able to answer you promptly, but I will get back to you as soon as I can.

Hoşca kal,

Nur

Hi Nur

İ know İ am replying a few months later....but if there are still vacancies for a qualified English Teacher that you know of...İ would be interested to hear about them.

Thanks

Jofran

At the moment a number of schools are getting ready to open in Izmir, all crying out for teachers, especially native speakers ,qualified and experienced, if you have those items under your belt securiing a job will not be difficult!