Cinderella21

Moving to turkey

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Hi I am married 9 years to a Turkish man and have a 3 year old daughter. We where thinking of moving to turkey for 1 year to see what we think and possible stay there. I just want to know about a visa /Turkish pass port/or citizenship for me and my daughter . Obviously I would want to work I'm not worried about where to live and a job ( just yet ) just want some info on visa Turkish passport citizenship. And how long any of these take to get I basically want to give the Turkish life 1 year to see if it's for us .and if it's not for us I want to be home by august 2015 re daughter starting school. I'm just jumping ahead of my husband he could make a few calls and have all my questions answers but I just need to get some info for myself . And I don't want to go there and run into any problems regarding this. Thanks

The visa is easy. You can get one online. See this article:

Turkey e-visa

You have to be a Turkish citizen first to get a Turkish passport. Since you are married to a Turk, that's pretty easy too, since they are very relaxed on the Turkish language requirement for those married to Turks. See this article:

Turkish Citizenship

Once you are a Turkish citizen, you won't need a work permit because, well, you're a Turkish citizen.

A VERY good idea to try living in Turkey for a while. I came to Izmir, Turkey with the US military many years ago having no idea what Turkey was like. After a 15-month tour, it was time to get out and go back to the States. But I liked Turkey too much to leave. I found a job through a US military contractor and stayed, "for just one more year" I said to myself. Then it became another year, then another, and another... I am still here in Turkey (now living in Antalya). These days I have no plans to ever move back to the States. I'm very happy in Turkey.

Of course you may have a different experience, and a lot of that probably depends on where you live. I highly recommend Izmir or Antalya. Istanbul I really like to visit, but wouldn't want to live there. A lot of Istanbullians will certainly disagree with my view of course. Posted Image

Good luck in making your decision. If you need help, just ask, that's what we're here for.

Cinderella21 likes this

Thanks for your advise and links. I'm sure as I think deeper into moving I'll have a lot more questions. But Izmir and Antalya is not where I will be living . It will be in izmet just 1 hour from Istanbul city. My husband is home sick and wants to go back whilst it is very easy for him to up stick and go I am a bit more reluctant .never mind my family haven a heart attack I have concerns about my daughter falling behind in her education if I do or don't stay. Thanks again for your help

Ken Grubb likes this

From what I understand, Izmit is a working Turkish city, not a tourist attraction or a place where many foreigners live. 

Hello Ken,

I have some questions that i will be so much happy if you can make it clear to me before i travel to Turkey

1 I have 1  year visa but 1 month single entry (30) is it possible for me to get 6 month or 1 year RP when i enter Turkey

2 How much is 6 month and 1 year RP fees

3 With 500 usd in my bank account can i get 6 month or 1 year RP

4 After getting my RP can i use it as visa to travel from Turkey go and come back to Turkey

5 Can i use my RP to get work in Turkey.

I'll try! :)

If you have a one year, single-entry visa then you are not entering on a tourist visa. What kind of visa do you have? For what reason are you entering Turkey? Tourism? Work? Residence?

Let me know that and we can go from there.

Tourism

On my visa is from 15th April 2014 to 15th April 2015 single entry

Duration of stay 30 Days

Tourism

Ah I see. Your visa is saying that you can enter Turkey, for 30 days, any time you want, from 15 April 2014 to 15 April 2015. As soon as you enter Turkey you have 30 days to stay here and then you have to leave.

Turkey has different rules for different countries. Unfortunately I don't know the rules for your country. As soon as you get here, find out where the foreigner's bureau is (ask any local foreigner) and go there and ask what rules apply to you.

1 I have 1  year visa but 1 month single entry (30) is it possible for me to get 6 month or 1 year RP when i enter Turkey

I don't know. There are different rules for different countries. But if they gave you a visa valid for one year, I would certainly guess that you could get a residence permit.

2 How much is 6 month and 1 year RP fees

Thankfully the fee was just lowered to 50 TL.

3 With 500 usd in my bank account can i get 6 month or 1 year RP

I'm assuming that you've checked the requirements for the province where you want to live and have determined that the cost is $500 USD per month.

Remember it's $500 USD for EVERY MONTH you want to stay in Turkey. So if the requirement is $500 per month in your province and you want a one-year residence permit, you will need to show the foreigner's bureau a bank receipt which shows that you have the equivalent of $6,000 USD in a Turkish bank. You can also show a receipt for exchanging your home country's currency into Turkish Lira from a Turkish currency exchange office, or prove that you have a regular income which would allow you to support yourself.

4 After getting my RP can i use it as visa to travel from Turkey go and come back to Turkey

Yes. As you come and go through Turkish immigration at the airport or whatever port, show them your passport and your residence permit. You will be able to leave and re-enter Turkey whenever you want, as many times as you want. When you re-enter Turkey, you won't need to buy a visa because you are a resident of Turkey. Again just show them your passport and residence permit. They'll still put an "entry stamp" in your passport, but you won't need a visa.

5 Can i use my RP to get work in Turkey.

No. But after you have lived in Turkey for six months with a residence permit, you can get a work permit. You have to have a job lined up before you can get a work permit. Your employer and you have to submit paperwork more or less simultaneously to the Ministry of Labor to get work permission. And the work permission is only for one company, the one which submits its paperwork along with yours. 

See this article, it will give you some idea of what it is like to get a work permit in Turkey.

Work Permit in Turkey

Ok if i have 3,000 usd in my bank account i can get 6 month RP if i get you well.

After getting my statement of account from bank to office where i will get RP is it possible for me to withdraw all this money from my account in the same day or next day

With my 30 days stay visa can i use it to get 6 months RP?

Ok if i have 3,000 usd in my bank account i can get 6 month RP if i get you well.

I am assuming that the money you need is $500 per month. It's less in some places and more in others. They do offer six-month residence permits. So unless there is something I don't know about, yes, you can get a six-month residence permit. And by the way, once you put the money in the bank, then take the receipt to the Foreigner's Bureau with your other paperwork, you can withdraw the money.

After getting my statement of account from bank to office where i will get RP is it possible for me to withdraw all this money from my account in the same day or next day

You have to go to wherever the foreigner's bureau is. Typically it's in a building, or complex of buildings, called the Emniyet Mürdürlüğu (em-nee-yet myur-du-roo-loo), or security directorate. Normally these are in the capital cities of provinces, but if there is a large concentration of foreigners in a certain area they have branch offices. You haven't said where you will be going, so you will have to ask around.

Yes. After you present your bank receipt, you can withdraw it, all of it.

With my 30 days stay visa can i use it to get 6 months RP?

You don't "use" a visa to get a residence permit. The visa gives you permission to enter Turkey. A residence permit gives you permission to live here. Once  you are legally in Turkey (by whatever means)  you can apply for a residence permit. Whether they give you a residence permit or not is up to the Turkish government. For US, UK, or European citizens it's pretty straightforward and people are seldom, if ever, rejected. I don't know what country you are from but if you are from a different country the rules could be different.

What I would suggest is that you enter Turkey with your visa, then go to the foreigner's office and ask them directly what you will need to get a residence permit.

Thank you so much Ken for all this informations i'm so much appreciate it by the grace of God i will be in Istanbul next week

Can i have your contact so that i can give you call when i arrive Istanbul

Thank again.

You can post here, I'll subscribe to this topic and be able to help you in that way. I don't live in Istanbul.