Sign in to follow this  
Cukurbagli

New Turkey Residence Permit ID Card: 50 TL from April 2014

Rate this topic

From today, April 11 2014 a Residence Permit document will cost 50 tl and will be a single card type document.

http://www.turkishpress.com/news/400029/

Carole commented on this in another topic and I replied there, but this is great news. For all of the complaints people might have about residence permits, the Turkish government does seem to be trying to make things easier and cheaper.

Please be aware,that the Polis know they are carrying onfor the foreseeable future,but at this moment  they are not accepting any rp applications.

I spent a while at the Bodrum Polis office this afternoon & they stated that they have had no information,paperwork,direction or anything from Ankara,& stated that it will probably be middle to late next week before they start the new system.

An email from the FCO this morning confirmed that all offices are effectivly closed for new applications.

They acknowledge that first time rp applicants will have to apply from their home country,but again could not thow any light on what is required paperwork wise to do this.

They suggested i call in each day from Tuesday onwards,so that hoefully they can answer a list of questions i have for them on all aspects of applications,from first time,short term & lifetime rp's.

If anyone wants to keep up to speed on developements,i have a page on Facebook called Doc Martins Surgery for expats. It's mainy aimed at UK expats,but many subjects on my page are globally universal.

It's help site with no adverts or lost pets..lol...

I have been thinking that there is an issue with this new law in that it doesn't specifically prohibit people from applying for a residence permit after entering Turkey with a tourist visa. And it also doesn't say anybody has to leave the country and come back. I think the law is referring to those who apply for a "residence visa" at an embassy or consulate only in those cases where the person is coming to Turkey specifically to reside in Turkey.

I think this will be clarified later, and people will find out that they are able to enter on a tourist visa and apply for a residence permit while in Turkey as always. That's the way I'm seeing it anyway. But we'll see.

And thanks, Redders, for all of the info and assistance you have provided us regarding residence permits. Posted Image

I thought the they said the new law about residency permits has been posponed for the unforseeable future and its to carry on as normal. Better had be as I will be coming within the next month or so. I looked on the uk consulate and still says a residency visa as they put it cannot be obtained there.

As Redders said that the polis know they are to carry on doing residency permits, could it be that they are not accepting new rp applications at the moment because they are changing the system from the little blue book to the one page id type so need to get that up and running first before accepting new applications again cos pointless giving out the original blue book if its going to be different as from today.

A visa is permission to enter a country. So of course you can't get a visa to enter a country when you are already in the country. Wow. Even the UK consulate is confusing visas with residence permits. No wonder there is so much confusion!

I think this is a different law. And it makes a lot of sense. A card rather than a booklet, and cheaper prices as a result.

My experience has been that if a proposed (or new) law comes out, which creates an uproar, it will either be rescinded or modified to the point where it makes sense. So I don't worry about such things any more.

When you first come to Turkey, the uncertainty causes you to worry. After you have been in Turkey for a while, the uncertainty causes you to not worry.

So do u think I still will be ok to come on my tourist visa and open a bank account with the 6000usd needed for one yr permit and be able to get one.

Yes its good news that they have dropped the price and from 206tl to 50tl is quite a drop. I am panicking a bit now : (

So do u think I still will be ok to come on my tourist visa and open a bank account with the 6000usd needed for one yr permit and be able to get one.

Of course, It is far more logical to think that the law was written in a way which did not include instances where someone would come on a tourist visa to get a residence permit. I'll bet dollars to doughnuts that coming on a tourist visa and getting a residence permit while on a tourist visa will not be made illegal. It just wouldn't make sense.

Yes its good news that they have dropped the price and from 206tl to 50tl is quite a drop. 

They are making obvious efforts to encourage foreigners to get residence permits. It makes no sense to then throw up some obstacle and require people to leave the country and come back.

I am panicking a bit now : ( 

You have nothing to fear. Come to Turkey. Get your residence permit. Live here with us. It's pretty easy actually.

Thats the plan Ken I want and am coming to live there as long as I can get my yr permit to begin with. I will buy u a beer when u come to Side. It is stupid to make it cheaper and easier for foreigners to get a permit then kick them out of turkey when they apply cos got to do it at home. What would be the point.

Do u think they will be taking new applications by the time I get there?

It is stupid to make it cheaper and easier for foreigners to get a permit then kick them out of turkey when they apply cos got to do it at home. What would be the point.

Exactly. The whole purpose of the recent changes in the law has been to make it easier for foreigners to get residence permits. The Turks are going out of their way to make it easier (not harder) to go through the process and make it cheaper. That has definitely been the trend. I've seen many things (including laws) come and go, and I am quite certain that I have this right, and that you have nothing to worry about.

When I have that beer you are going to buy me in Side, I will listen to you tell me how getting your residence permit was so much easier than you thought it would be.

Do u think they will be taking new applications by the time I get there? 

I don't recall when you said you'd be here. But no matter. Every province in Turkey operates differently. It's like the USA where we (supposedly) have 50 states which have their own laws and ways of doing things.

So what happens in Muğla (the province Bodrum is in) only affects what happens in Muğla.

Carole, you'll have 90 days on your tourist visa. Even if Antalya province (where Side is) has trouble figuring things out, they'll get them figured out in plenty of time for you to get your residence permit.

Still waiting for more concrete information to come out. 

"During the enforcement of the current law, foreigners were obliged to obtain residence permits after the issuance of their work permits. Additionally, foreigners with 90 day technician/ montage visas (obtained from Turkish Consulates) were also obliged to obtain residence permits within 30 days starting from their entry date to Turkey. However, the new law demolishes these requirements while bringing a much more practical and applicable system,

It says something about the residence permit requirements for those who have work permits. Does it mean if you have a work permit, you don't have to apply for a residence permit again? and what exactly is this "more practical and applicable system"?Posted Image

I think when they refer to "work permit" they are referring to the permission given to the employer and the employee to work, which is kept on file by the employer. They are not referring to the "little blue booklet" foreigners carry around. Conan I'm sure you know that, but I'll elaborate for any other readers who come along:

As it stands now, employer and employee ask the Ministry of Labor to issue work permission which is the actual "work permit." The employee does it from a Turkish embassy or consulate in their home country.

Then a work permission letter is given to the employer, and a work visa is given to the employee and inserted into their passport.

Then the employee enters Turkey with the work visa, gets the work permission letter (the actual work permit) from the employer  and submits that with other paperwork and gets a residence permit with working rights.

Maybe they are combining the two, maybe one can actually get the residence permit itself from an embassy or consulate, so you have your residence permit before you even get to Turkey. No trip to the foreign bureau, no additional paperwork submission, you just come with your visa and residence permit (with working rights) in hand and go to work.

That would make sense, and save everybody a lot of time and hassle. But as with everything else, we'll see!

We can assure you that you can apply for residence permit to the nearest headquarters in Turkey. The law has just been changed, however until new legislation is issued you can definitely get residence permit in Turkey.--------------------------------------- friend received this email today from the turkish consulate in London

Hello Ken,

I have some questions that i will be so much happy if you can make it clear to me before i travel to Turkey

1 I have 1  year visa but 1 month single entry (30) is it possible for me to get 6 month or 1 year RP when i enter Turkey

2 How much is 6 month and 1 year RP fees

3 With 500 usd in my bank account can i get 6 month or 1 year RP

4 After getting my RP can i use it as visa to travel from Turkey go and come back to Turkey

5 Can i use my RP to get work in Turkey.

Hi,

The office in Kadikoy took my residency application last week but there is new requirement (ex: 600TL/year health insurance). The new card is 50TL BUT takes 2-3 MONTHS to get during which you can't travel. I am in a very difficult situation as i need to leave the country in 1 month and a half and really don't know what to do. Is there any special document that would allow me to leave before i receive the actual card?

Admin Note: Since ExpatWife opened a separate topic about this situation, please reply here:

New residence permit ID delays - HELP

What does mean "The cost of a residency permit in Turkey has been reduced to 50 Turkish lira (US$24) from 206 lira (US$98)" !! I have been just yesterday in Yabanci Subesi of Istanbul and the fee for half an year is 171 tl. Also now they ask for saglik sigortasi which cost around 500 tl (though I had found for now only offer for 780tl) so now it makes price going close to 1000 tl! While last year i payed just smth about 100tl. The price has been reduced, indeed! Ne kadar sacma!!

If you read the original post and the linked article properly you would have seen this paragraph:

"Before the new law, the residence permits of foreigners were prepared as 'permit notebooks' containing many pages," said, Duygu Akan, an attorney at law in Turkey-based Cinar & Cinar law office." However, with the new system, the residence permits will be switched to "a single page residence permit card." This transformation is one of the reasons behind the price reduction made to the residence permit fees."

....and if you had read that paragraph you would know exactly what it meant. Ne kadar salak!