Sign in to follow this  
JeanHommeVlo

CELTA and Work in Izmir

Rate this topic

Hi everyone this is my 1st post,

I've been accepted into a CELTA course this summer at Izmir University of Economics and curious how likely I could expect to find a job once I complete the course at the end of July.  My previous education is a Bachelor of Business Administration with a minor in Economics.  I have not worked as a teacher per se, but my current job at a Wildlife Preserve in the States I have organised and conducted field trips and tours for children and adults.

There are no local options for me to earn the CELTA where I live so to me it seemed logical to take the course in Izmir and go from there. Looking for suggestions and advice please.

I used to live in Izmir but was unsuccessful with landing jobs there, maybe your experience will be different. I got hired in other cities. I always see these schools posting ads for teachers DEAD LINK and DEAD LINK There's lots of jobs all over Turkey, find them and start applying from now, go to the interviews and see what interests you.

By the way, I think you'll make a great teacher, you have great experience Posted Image  I often feel like a zoo keeper.

As I understand it, while in the CELTA course, you'll hear about any job openings since local employers will be interested in hiring any new graduates. So when you graduate, you might not have your dream job, but you'll either have offers or be able to find a job in Izmir. There are tons of English teaching schools in Izmir of all kinds, so I doubt you'll have a problem. YabanciGirl had a different experience, I don't know why, but I've seen people just blow into town and get jobs teaching English in the next couple of days. Perhaps it has to do with the time of the year you start looking... I don't know.

Thank you YabanciGirl and Ken for your comments and encouraging words.  I also admit I'm a bit confused as I read some posts say that you need to leave the country to get your work permit, and others saying if you're in the country 6 months you don't need to leave the country.  Anyone willing to clarify this?  One of my worries is getting a job, but than the employer being unwilling to do the work permit.

If you're a legal resident in Turkey for at least six months, you can get a work permit. If you want one sooner than that, yes, you would have to leave the country and submit the paperwork at an embassy or consulate in your home country.

To get a work permit from outside of the country (and within the country) you have to have an employer lined up first. See this article:

Work Visas and Work Permits in Turkey

Your employer and you have to submit a request more or less simultaneously, to the Ministry of Labor. You would do it through the embassy or consulate and your employer would do it directly (employers can do it online). When I did it years ago the process took 40 days, it was a matter of coordinating with my employer in Turkey, gathering and submitting the paperwork, then going back after 40 days to get my work visa. Then after entering Turkey with my work visa, I went to get my residence permit (which had work rights attached to it, that's what serves as a "work permit").

There always seems to be a way around various rules in Turkey, so you might ask a potential employer if they can arrange a work permit without you being in country for six months. I haven't heard of anybody doing this, but sometimes if somebody knows somebody, things can happen. Just an idea. :)

Ken, in the beginning I had no teaching experience but I did get a lot of interviews in Izmir. I'm originally from Trinidad, it's an English speaking Caribbean island. I assumed maybe they preferred British or American teachers, because employers would ask me where I was from during the interviews, and when I said Trinidad they just looked so perplexed Posted Image It doesn't happen anymore though, because I have worked a few places since and have references now. Posted Image

Thank you Ken for the explanation.  Does that mean I'd have to go back to the States for the month or so while the permit is being processed or could staying in the Greek Islands or the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus be an option?  It sounds like from your explanation and guide that I'd have to submit the information to an embassy or consulate in the States but looking for convenient and affordable options. 

YabanciGirl - My boss's fiancée is from Trinidad!  Glad that you found opportunities eventually in Turkey!

I want to thank the both of you for your insight and explanations.

Thank you Ken for the explanation.  Does that mean I'd have to go back to the States for the month or so while the permit is being processed or could staying in the Greek Islands or the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus be an option?

I'm not sure if I understand. Are you referring to the work permit being processed? If you have lived in Turkey for six months, with a residence permit, then find an employer and apply for a work permit, you don't have to leave Turkey.

The law, from what I have read, doesn't specifically "require" anybody to leave Turkey, it just says that you have to be a resident of Turkey for six months before you can apply for one while inside of Turkey. So you can

• Live in Turkey for six months, thereby meeting the residence requirement to be employed while in Turkey
  • Find an employer who wants to hire you
  • Apply for the residence permit
  • Go get your work permit
  • Go to work.
  • If you can't fulfill the six-month residence requirement first, the only other option would be to do it from outside of the country at a Turkish embassy or consulate. And it is faster that way only because there is no residence requirement, because you don't live in Turkey to begin with.

It sounds like from your explanation and guide that I'd have to submit the information to an embassy or consulate in the States but looking for convenient and affordable options.

Only Turkish consular missions in the United States are authorized to grant work visas to US citizens and legal residents of the US. Turkish consular missions in other countries can only issue visas to citizens and residents of those countries. I got a work visa from Germany once, but only because I was a legal resident of Germany at the time.

That said, some time ago I left the military and got a job working in Izmir after being stationed in Izmir for 15 months. At that time EVERYBODY had to leave and apply for a work visa from their home country regardless of how long they lived in Turkey. My employer told me I had to go back to the US, but apparently they had some connections, and it turned out that I didn't have to leave the country. But this was a big exception to the rule. That's why I mentioned that, depending on your employer, they may be able to pull some strings for you, but unless it's some kind of important job, the chances of that are probably slim. It never hurts to ask your potential employer, though, if they can find a way around the residence requirement. You never know! smile.png

Please understand that I am not a lawyer, and that this is not legal advice, it is just based on what I have read about this subject and from personal experience.

Hi Ken, Thank you for your explanation! I apologise for what I felt like asking the same question essentially twice. I appreciate your understanding and sharing your experiences.  This whole site has been really useful and I appreciate everyone who contributes to it!  Thanks a bunch!

Hello,

Just noticed this post.  There is loads of work in Izmir right now.  Thes best time to apply for school jobs is normally jan/feb leading into march for the start of the next school year ( just after summer hols).  There is at least 3 new private schools opening here in the next few months and people are ebing recruited now so you should have no problem getting a job once you have completed your CELTA. Remember, while alot of schools do recruit before the end of the school year there are still some schools looking for teachers in July/August so it might be a good idea to contact some of them and let them know you are completing end of July and can be ready to start in August.

Two of the schools are Doga Koleji, Ozel Ege that i know of now.  I work at Ozel ege but i'm moving to a new one in August.  If you want i can give you the email address for the person you should speak to. You never know they might interview you now even if you are still to complete your CELTA.