Rate this topic

Has anyone managed to get their 6 month residence permit (or the so-called tourist residence permit) renewed? Or the only way to stay in Turkey after this 6 month period is by leaving the county, coming back on a 90 day tourist visa and applying again for a RP?

I wanted a 1 year residence permit, but at the Kadikoy police (which was the only place I was able to make an online appointment before my 90 day tourist visa expired) they said they only give 6 month residence permits.

I've never heard of that before, that is, a limitation on how long they can issue residence permits like that. Is it a regional thing, that is, does that only apply to the Kadıköy police?

I also know of no one (yet) who has renewed a six-month residence permit since they started encouraging people to get them. I wish I could be of more help. Unless anybody else here knows, you would probably have to go there and ask how you would get one for a year.

A young friend of ours easily renewed his here in Kaş. His original one expired, so he went out to Meis/Kastellorizo Greece for a day trip on a ferry, returned on a 90 day tourist visa, then applied again for a 6 month RP and yet again a 90 day tourist visa. He was in Turkey nearly 18 months doing that.

Friends of ours from the United States got a 1 year "tourist" residence permit just a few days ago. Their RP were easily obtained without hassle, they did not need a rental agreement nor did they need to show they owned land. They only had to give an address where the occupant at that address could reach them if necessary, that is not where they are staying. They are on retirement pension and had to show they each had $500 USD for each month of the RP they applied for. 

You are strongly advised to take a Turkish person or an authorised Turkish translator with you to the police and get your questions answered, never go by yourself, and ask different officials, you may get different answers. Good luck

I'm hoping to hear from someone who has gotten a one-year residence permit after having a six-month one... seems like it would be just like extending any other residence permit, but you never know! Posted Image

Friends of ours from the United States got a 1 year "tourist" residence permit just a few days ago. Their RP were easily obtained without hassle, they did not need a rental agreement nor did they need to show they owned land. They only had to give an address where the occupant at that address could reach them if necessary, that is not where they are staying. They are on retirement pension and had to show they each had $500 USD for each month of the RP they applied for. 

Something of the same thing happened with a friend of mine in Kuşadası. He went to change the address and renew his one-year residence permit and took a statement from the bank with him to show he had the required money to live on. The foreign police said not to worry about it, and gave him an extension and address change without submitting the bank paperwork.

He also got his extension on-the-spot, whereas mine, in Antalya, took 40 days!

I've never heard of that before, that is, a limitation on how long they can issue residence permits like that. Is it a regional thing, that is, does that only apply to the Kadıköy police?

I also know of no one (yet) who has renewed a six-month residence permit since they started encouraging people to get them. I wish I could be of more help. Unless anybody else here knows, you would probably have to go there and ask how you would get one for a year.

Figured it out, Ken: Category A citizens (most of EU countries, USA, Australia, New Zealand -- and don't know why, but Mexico) have the option to get a Long Term Residence Permit. Category B citizens -- everybody else, including Brazil, my country, cannot get Long Term RPs, and can only get Short Term RPs (and are ok to get other RP categories such as student, work etc).

This short-term RP cannot be renewed withing the same calendar year. That's what the police in Kadikoy told me when I went there last month.

However, I just tried to make an appointment through the website again, and this:

Posted Image

has changed into this:

Posted Image

I followed exactly the same steps to make an appointment -- but the RP options have changed. They are now:

Posted Image

Notice that if I chose the US as my country of citizenship, the Long Term RP is the first option displayed:

Posted Image

And they are listed in Turkish despite selecting "English" at the beginning of the appointment procedure. So I guess this is all happening due to the new laws taking place.

To my surprise, the sentence saying "A residence permit for leisure may only be issued within one calendar year" is gone. So probably someone is working overnight to make those changes reflect the changes that were announced last year and were confirmed last week (I'm guessing someone is updating the website right now?)  :) And hopefully, the limitation for renewing a RP will not be part of theses recent changes!

I'm going to the Kadikoy Yabancilar Polis this week, and will keep you guys updated.

hi there,

im in the exact same situation as you. have you check with the emniyet in kadikoy yet?

my country (singapore) is listed under category C so i also got the 6 months tourist residence permit and they told me too i cannot apply for the same permit within the calendar year.

but once the ikamet expired, i could go somewhere for a day or two and return with my free 90 days visa, is that right?

hope to hear how it goes with the check! :)

Fantastic Edubongo, thanks for helping us figure all of this out. 

but once the ikamet expired, i could go somewhere for a day or two and return with my free 90 days visa, is that right?

As far as I know yes, you can do that. A friend of a friend of mine in Kaş did it. I'm afraid to say that though, because of all of the changes and all of the differences between provinces on how they handle these things.

hello all,

i will be applying for a tourist RP in sariyer. i went a few days in advance to find more info. the only thing they said is insurance is now required. could anyone who had to take the insurance for RP due to the recent changes, please provide details on which insurance to take and can i obtain it on the same day?

thank you for your help and advise. 

regards,

G

hi there,

im in the exact same situation as you. have you check with the emniyet in kadikoy yet?

my country (singapore) is listed under category C so i also got the 6 months tourist residence permit and they told me too i cannot apply for the same permit within the calendar year.

hope to hear how it goes with the check! Posted Image

Cattidudette, with the new laws, this category thing seems to be gone!

As long as you get a place to stay, a health insurance and the monthly amount of money they request ($500 for each month), you can renew your RP and apply for a 1 year RP.

I must say that's what they TOLD me and a Turkish friend (never never go by yourself to check this kind of stuff, take a Turkish friend with you). This is not what happened to me yet -- I got an appointment for renewing my RP soon, and will let you know how it goes.

I haven't seen anything which says which insurance coverage is required. The US Embassy has sent a list of questions about this, still waiting to hear back. I read about one person who got health insurance for a year for 600TL, but it didn't say what was covered, nor did it say that the police specified what insurance was required.

Found this on Istanbul Yabancilar Sube Mudurlugu website (http://yabancilar.iem.gov.tr/duyurular.html):

11 NİSAN 2014 TARİHİNDE YÜRÜRLÜĞE GİREN 6458 SAYILI YABANCILAR VE ULUSLARARASI KORUMA KANUNU ÇERÇEVESİNDE(KISA SÜRELİ VE AİLE İKAMET İZNİ) İÇİN İSTENEN SİGORTA POLİÇELERİ AŞAĞIDA BELİRTİLEN ŞARTLARA UYGUN OLMASI GEREKMEKTEDİR.

10364012_10152874466114202_6888219161172

Hobbit,not anymore, that's another rule they have changed to suit themselves. You can now apply for SGK after having a medical at a Devlet hospital ,even if this is going to be your 1st RP. People here in Bodrum are being accepted,as long as your old RP or evisa is still current.

I wonder what will change this week....

Well I've changed my post that Hobbit linked to in order to reflect your news.

Hobbit,not anymore, that's another rule they have changed to suit themselves. You can now apply for SGK after having a medical at a Devlet hospital ,even if this is going to be your 1st RP. People here in Bodrum are being accepted,as long as your old RP or evisa is still current.

You wrote "as long as your old RP or evisa is still current.." 

Do you personally know of someone who is applying for the first time who was allowed to do this?

Is there anything written on this?

Can anyone else comment if this is a change everywhere or just an interpretation for Bodrum???

Yes,from my facebook page ,a few people have applied to SGK [ Bodrum ] for the first time  with an evisa ,gone to the Devlet for the medical,returned to the SGK office & been accepted,but not yet allowed medical cover.

They are given a piece of paper to give to the Polis office with their application. When they got their RP card they returned to the SGK office to start their cover & start paying their monthly subscriptions. The most important thing to remember is that when the RP expires in 12 months time they must go back to the SGK office to show their new RP ,as when your RP expires you are suspended from the SGK until you show your new RP card.

Copied from a notification from the GDMM in May.....

3) Applications for one year or longer period:

a) In case foreigners provide evidence that they have made an application to join the SGK to have a health insurance, their residence permit will be issued, although they are not covered with a valid medical insurance. However, after obtaining the residence permit, those should complete their application with SGK, and inform the issuing authority. Otherwise their residence permit will be cancelled.

Posted Image An annual private health insurance covering inpatient /outpatient treatment and medical expenses will be asked from those who have not applied to join the SGK.

4) A valid medical health insurance will not be asked from dependents of those mentioned at paragraph (a) of article 3. ''.  etc...etc....

I will be applying for my RP for the first time and just read about people obtaining SGK insurance with a medical for their first RP. I didn't know this could be done before. What are the benefits of having SGK insurance over private health insurance eg through a turkish bank? Is it cheaper? Will you have access to english speaking healthcare with just SGK insurance? Do you guys think this is the better option? Thanks :)

HI Aussiegirl,

The thing about SGK is news to me too. One thng to take in to account is the cost. SGK is around 240tl a month (maybe a bit less), paid every month. Some private insurance companies are reported to be offering health insurance that meets the government criteria for around 1400tl a year, payable in advance. While it is advantageous to pay monthly, SGK is clearly mroe expensive. As to whether you will have access to English speaking health care with SGK, you might or you might not, but the same goes for private health care. All the doctors are meant to be able to speak English in order to get their medical degrees, but that isn't always the reality.

In general, regardless of it being a public or a private hospital, nurses and auxilliary staff won't speak much English, but some will surprise you. In Istanbul at least, private health cover and treatment in a private hospital is not necessarily better than in a public hospital. Certain state hospitals are extremely good as they are both teaching and research hospitals, and have access to the latest research and techniques.

It would help if you culd say where you will be living when you come to Turkey. As I am sure you have read, the way the new residence permit rules are applied varies from location to location. For example, to date I have not heard/read of anyone having their application fo residency in Istanbul approved using SGK medical cover, yet this is accepted elsewhere.

Hi, thanks again for the valuable information. I will be living in istanbul. I have been told that to get SGK insurance you can not be involved with the healthcare scheme in your own country. I don't think this is beneficial to me as it is quite difficult to reinstate my healthcare if I need to come back to australia at any stage. But will I eventually get fined if I do not participate in the SGK program? Why is SGK so much more expensive? Does it cover things that private health insurance doesn't? Is private health insurance pretty much accident and emergency or general doctor visits also?

HI AussieGirl,

Re you concern about being involved in Medicare precluding you from SGK. This is not the case. Australians cannot use Medicare when we are not in Australia (exactly how would we claim?) but being in the SGK system does not cancel your Australian participation in Medicare. I know this for a fact. I was here when the whole debacle about obligatory registration in SGK started (Jan 2012). At that time the Turkish law was loosely written saying it was both obligatory and optional (go figure), but if we didn't join then, we would be fined later. A new (sub) law was passed more than 6 months ago, lifting the condition that if you joined at a later date you would have to back-pay contributions to Jan 2012 (thereby 'fining' you). I am currently in SGK but when I go back to Australia am still registered for Medicare and have used medical services there. Provided you do your tax returns every year you should be OK.

As to why the SGK payments are so high, the best answer would be because the government can! Foreigners are not means tested (unlike Turks) and the consensus seems to be that we are all rich (after all, this is the SGK rate for the richest Turks).

As to your other questions, SGK only precludes pre-existing condition, asthma and one other condition I don't remember. You are covered for everything else, but the system depends on family and friends doing a lot of the running around. At the risk of drawing the wrath of the admins, I suggest you buy my book Exploring Turkish Landscapes to learn about the public hospital experience. I don't have exact details for private health care but I have heard from friends that in the first year almost everything is considered pre-existing so you pay a lot for very little. What you are covered for works much much like in Australia, you get what you pay for. I did read yesterday however, that Ankara Sigorta (insurance) offers cover that is accepted by the Turkihs goverment and costs 980tl for one year for those under 45 (don't hold me to this, everything and anything is subject to immediate change in Turkey).

Do you know if the private health insurance companies in Turkey (eg through a turkish bank) are the same as in australia in terms of serving waiting periods before claiming? Does SGK have waiting periods or are you covered as soon as you start paying? Does this also include pregnancy and birth?

As to why the SGK payments are so high, the best answer would be because the government can! Foreigners are not means tested (unlike Turks) and the consensus seems to be that we are all rich (after all, this is the SGK rate for the richest Turks).

In order for a foreigner to get a RP under ordinary circumstances. the proof of income requirements will preclude means testing, will it not? The amount required monthly income for a foreigner is above the threshold of the "sliding scale" below:

According to Turkey’s social security system

The system is based on the principle that premiums of those classed as being without income (those with an income of less than one-third the minimum wage on a per capita basis) is paid by the state, while those with an income pay premiums on a sliding scale. Thus the SGK is not a health service provider, but a financier.

Do you know if the private health insurance companies in Turkey (eg through a turkish bank) are the same as in australia in terms of serving waiting periods before claiming? Does SGK have waiting periods or are you covered as soon as you start paying? Does this also include pregnancy and birth?

Please forgive me if this has been posted elsewhere but I think the full article is informative.Turkey’s social security system8. What rights come with coverage by the Turkish social security system?

Personal protective health services, diagnosis and treatments in case of illness and pregnancy, oral and dental health services, family planning and fertility treatment, medicine and other medical materials needed for diagnosis and treatment, and -- in the event domestic treatment is not available -- health services provided abroad are covered by our institution (for example in the case of advanced cancer treatments).

I was able to renew my tourist one year RP two weeks ago. I live in Ankara, so i went and I completed out the application form, 2 new pictures, my bank statement, lease contract, and then a translated, certified copy of my health insurance.  They emphasized that my health insurance must show a 1. expiration date and 2. that it is international and that I would be covered in Turkey.  I didn't want to enroll in the SGK mess, because they said that 1st time applicants cannot enroll in SGK and first need a residence permit of 1 year. 

They then gave me an application document/receipt and told me that i must wait ONE MONTH for my residence permit to arrive in the mail. This is ridiculous since I live 3 minutes away from the Ministry of Migration (the new department dealing with residence permits!) I am leaving Turkey in 2 days and I still don't have it! my husband received his - it is a fancy little ID card and not the booklet like before. 

As anyone left the country with just their application document and not their official residence permit? 

I did -- but that was before the dreaded date of April 11, 2014.

This was in December 2013. At Ataturk airport, I go to customs. I hand the policeman my passport. The guy looks at my passport, looks at the computer, and says I overstayed. I tell him I've applied for a residence permit, show him the receipt, and tell him I'll be back just in time to pickup my RP at the police station. He doesn't look at me nor care about what I am saying, and says I have to go to the tax office and pay a fine.

But I do not go to the tax office -- instead, I head to the other side of the airport. There's another customs area there before the gates at the opposite side. I start looking for a more friendly cop -- there's a young man who kind of smiled at another yabanci, so I choose to stay in his line. 

I give him my passport, and before he mentions anything about overstaying, I hand him my application document and tell him I'll be back in a month to pick up my RP. He looks at the doc and tells me to go talks to his boss at the corner. I go to his boss, he's playing Candy Crush on his phone. I explain my situation. He asks for my flight ticket, writes "06/2014'e kadar ikamet var" on it and tells me go back to the same young policeman and show him the ticket. The guy lets me go through.

Weeks later, I come back and show my application document at the customs again, but the policeman doesn't even look at it. He's too busy stamping my passport. And then let's me in.