Sign in to follow this  
RebeccaLY

English working in Turkey

Rate this topic

My fiancé is Turkish and we are planning to get married in June. After we are married, will I be able to work? I understand I need a work permit, are these difficult to obtain? I won't be granted citizenship until we have been married for three years so not sure what happens next. Ideally, we would both work and rent somewhere (we both want to stay in Turkey) maybe move back to the UK after some time. I refuse to work without a permit because it's just not worth the risk. What sort of jobs do you think English people generally get in to? Many thanks :) PS I have completed college A levels and have experience in retail.

I made the mistake of assuming that I could work legally straight after my marriage. It transpired I couldn't. I got a job in an emlak and was subject to a spot check. They said they let me off because my husband was a friend of theirs. This was about 7 years ago though so not sure if there has been any development to that rule

As said above,single or married to a Turk,if you are here using a Residence Permit,you are still a Yabanci,and have to abide by the restrictions . This means VERY little chance of getting a job legally.If you work illegally you may not get paid by your employer,nor get sick pay,no taxes paid,you have no rights whatsoever.If caught you may well be fined and most definately deported within 24 hours and can be banned from re entering Turkey for up to 5 years.Then when your ban is finished you have to apply to come back via the Turkish embassy in your home country.

After you have been married for 3 years,you can book to take your citizenship,this may take up to 1 year from start to finish.Only then if you get your citizenship can you work in any job legally.

Sorry to sound negative,but those are the rules of this country.

If you are not a citizen BUT have been in Turkey for 8 continuous years, you MAY be allowed to work. Otherwise, the only options for a non-citizen to work is if an employer can show that your skills or specialty are essential and cannot be accomplished by a Turkish citizen. Good luck...

GRAND NATIONAL ASSEMBLY OF TURKEYLaw No. 6458Date of Adoption:04/04/2013LAW ON FOREIGNERS AND INTERNATIONAL PROTECTIONConditions for granting a long term residence permitIn order to transit to a long term residence permit, the foreigner is required to reside in Turkey with a residence permit uninterruptedly for at least eightyears (and other stuff)Foreigners who have been granted a long term residence permit shall benefit from the same rights as accorded to Turkish citizens with the exception of:a) Compulsory military serviceb) The right to elect and be elected,c) Employment in public institutions,ç) Exemption from taxes in importing vehicles.

Everyone is right to warn you against working illegally but I don't think it is right to say that there is "VERY little chance of getting a job legally".

I live in Cappadocia and know people who are non-Turks and work legally. One, for example, is British, not married to Turk and works in a travel agency with a work permit which was applied for and accorded by the authorities. She does not have a degree nor any previous experience in tourism. Others are Australian, Portugese, Japanese...

I think all depends on the area you want to live in (coastal areas seem to be more difficult) and the domain of your expertise. You will find it very hard to find a legal bar job or work in a sales outlet as these are jobs that Turkish people can do. Unless you have foreign language skills other than English.

I also know of a job in a car rental company which has been open for nearly a year now. The only Turkish candidates have been students who have worked for a month or two and dropped out. Since it is unlike retail or direct tourism work with the possibility of tips and/or commission, young Turkish people are not interested and there would be no difficulty in justifying hiring a foreigner.