Sign in to follow this  
Smrtaha

Opening a small tour agency in Mersin

Rate this topic

Hi everybody,I am thinking about opening a small tour agency in Mersin, It is an amazing city with lots of touristic places, however somehow missed due to the lack of direct flights, I tried to find an English speaking agency in Mersin but couldn't, in addition I have some connections here in UAE. The questions are:1. Is it a good idea?2. Am I allowed to operate such business activity as an expat?3. Is it a good idea to get a Turkish partner?Any help or feedback will be appreciated.Sam...

Hi Sam,It is good to see a member from the UAE, well as far as I see beginning a tour operator agency can be quite difficult for an expat unless you have years of experience in this field.In order to get started with any such business you would have to employ at least five Turkish citizen in your new company and pay for their insurance etc.I personally feel there are better options to look into.. would be glad to share with you my experiences, you can always write me a PM.Regards,Raj

Little late for a reply but Im going to anyway.  It is incredibly frustrating that there is no tourism in Mersin.  Yes there is a lot of sites worth visiting from Kizkalesi through to Tarsus.  I went to the Tourizm Office in Mersin (which is located right on the harbour - nice spot) and they were unable to offer anything of interest or use.  I had friends staying and I couldnt even get a city tour.  The difficulties of visiting places without transport made their visit incredibly hard.  

If you do get this business of the ground I would expect there would be money to be made - whether you would need 5 turkish employees?  I couldnot say.