Sign in to follow this  
conan198903

Got "Robbed" in Adana by Some Teenage Boys

Rate this topic

I am not even sure if this can be counted as a robbery because maybe these kids were just trying to tease me, and they didn't force me to handle in my phone or wallet. They grabbed me a pair of sunglasses (worth 500 TL) when I was waiting for the bus in front of the Merkez Park (Central Park). As I didn't expect this to happen in broad daylight, it took me quite a while to realize what was going on, and by that time, these teenage boys had long disappeared in the traffic, not to mention that I had to put on my normal glasses because of my poor eye-sight. Posted Image

I had to admit I was being too careless because I clearly had noticed that these boys were approaching me in a suspicious way. I thought they were probably just some kids who were curious about my Asian face. 

PS: an advice to those who are living in Adana or have plans to live here (I learned this from my own experience and from my local friends): the areas around Merkez Park and Optimum Outlet are not safe zones. Many street wanderers, pocket-pickers, and drug dealers exist in these zones. Avoid going to these areas when it gets dark and watch out for suspicious people even in daylight. 

Sorry to hear of this.  Is this the park around the sabanci mosque.  Many years ago i was the victim of a pick pocket in adana,  i was fortunate to catch the individual though and did get back my wallet.  I was always told when i see i am going to be "attacked"  start yelling Jandarma.  Never had to test this theory though.  Stay strong and keep your eyes always looking.

Sorry to hear about that Conan !  But you're right about having to be vigilant about the people milling around you -- day or night !  :(

I'm guessing they were special presciption sunglasses, so they'll probably be of little use to the thieves...... but that doesn't help you much !

It's disappointing (to say the least), but I hope this experience doesn't spoil your image of Turkey because the same could happen anywhere in the world.

You'll probably be suspicious of everyone now while out on the street, but I'm sure it's made you more aware !

Geçmiş olsun !

Sorry to hear about that Conan, apparently Adana has a historical reputation for being an honest place but clearly that changed. It's upsetting when something like that happens, I hope you get over the shock quickly.

Sorry to hear of this.  Is this the park around the sabanci mosque.  Many years ago i was the victim of a pick pocket in adana,  i was fortunate to catch the individual though and did get back my wallet.  I was always told when i see i am going to be "attacked"  start yelling Jandarma.  Never had to test this theory though.  Stay strong and keep your eyes always looking.

Yes, it is the park around the sabanci mosque. This area does have a bad reputation for not being safe enough, especially at night. And thank you for the theory. I hope it can work but I certainly hope no one will be put in a position to use that theory. 

Sorry to hear about that Conan !  But you're right about having to be vigilant about the people milling around you -- day or night !  Posted Image

I'm guessing they were special presciption sunglasses, so they'll probably be of little use to the thieves...... but that doesn't help you much !

It's disappointing (to say the least), but I hope this experience doesn't spoil your image of Turkey because the same could happen anywhere in the world.

You'll probably be suspicious of everyone now while out on the street, but I'm sure it's made you more aware !

Geçmiş olsun !

Thank you Meral. Yeah. these are special prescription sunglasses and if they wear them long enough, their eyes can be harmed.

This thing wouldn't spoil Turkey's images, as most of the Turkish people I met are very friendly and helpful. It just reminds me of staying alerted. You can never be too careful :) (I am a quite adventurous person and I often explore a new city alone even at night.)

Sorry to hear about that Conan, apparently Adana has a historical reputation for being an honest place but clearly that changed. It's upsetting when something like that happens, I hope you get over the shock quickly.

Thank you.  It's always a pity that things are changing in a bad direction. I guess it is a problem every city has to encounter while they are expanding. 

I got over the shock pretty quickly because a friend of mine came to visit me from Istanbul, and we had lots of laugh tonight. :D :D 

I'm sorry to hear this has happened to you, but I am glad it wasn't worse. Thankfully most crimes like this are not violent. Your story is a good reminder for all of us to be alert, maybe at least it will prevent someone else from having something stolen from them.

And also minimize what we keep in our wallets if we are going somewhere likely to be crowded. I had a phone taken from my pocket at a football match and a friend had his wallet picked even though we knew there was likely to be thieves about.

Gecmis Olsun

I'm sorry to hear this has happened to you, but I am glad it wasn't worse. Thankfully most crimes like this are not violent. Your story is a good reminder for all of us to be alert, maybe at least it will prevent someone else from having something stolen from them.

Thank you Ken. If my story can be of any help to anyone else, I would be very glad :)

And also minimize what we keep in our wallets if we are going somewhere likely to be crowded. I had a phone taken from my pocket at a football match and a friend had his wallet picked even though we knew there was likely to be thieves about.

Gecmis Olsun

Sorry to hear about that. yeah, always minimize what we keep in your wallets. That's a very good suggestion :)

There is a tactic they sometimes use that I call the "swarm." Basically a few of them walk up and start something to distract you while one of them steals whatever they can grab. It can be men or women. It sounds like they were doing that.

Sometimes they will even stage a fight or chase scene to get everybody's attention, then another team member comes along and takes people's wallets or whatever they can. I even heard of a case where a woman had a child in a stroller, with her purse hanging on it. One person came up and started paying attention to the child, then picked him up. Of course the mother was very alarmed by this, and completely distracted. Then somebody else grabbed her purse. Whenever I am in a crowded place, on the metro or wherever, I put my wallet in my front pocket, it isn't much, but at least it's a lot harder to get to without me knowing about it.

Those are really good ideas for keeping  valuables safe !

I like to sew extra pockets (with zips) on the insides of our coats & jackets to hold money/kimlik/ATM card/phone while out & about.  Whatever's in my shoulder-bag is nothing much -- only stuff that's easily replaced if lost to a bag-snatcher !

I just finished the article about street robberies in Turkey. It's here:

Mugging and Robbery in Turkey

Conan, thanks for telling your story. Between you and me we can at least help others to be prepared for what can happen.

My most of my Turkish sisters-laws are police officers. A long time ago, one them had her purse on a table when she eating out and someone was watching her. He grabbed her purse and ran. She had most of her jewelry in it. She told me in Turkish don't leave your purse on top of the table or hanging off your chair. Put on your lap. Another common technique used is a woman is walking down the street and they drive beside her. A person leans out the window, grabs the purse, and they drive off. I don't want to alarm anyone, Turkey is a great place. I just want people to be safe. There are few a-holes that want to ruin it for people. Be aware, be safe.

Conan sorry about your glasses but I'm happy that you're safe & still have your wallet Posted Image

I used to live in Hatay which isn't far from Adana. South East Turkey can be pretty strange. I was the last person in a bus/dolmus & the driver pulled over on the side of the highway, parked there, then climbed over into the back of the bus to find out where I was from & what I was doing in Turkey etc. It was intimidating but he was very polite. He could hardly speak english, then he gave up & dropped me off eventually. Then there were the family restaurants. When you go to dine in, the mother will bring the plates, the children will bring the glasses, another the food, another one brings the bread lol, then if you chat with them they'll all come sit & try to chat with you. You end up with an audience watching you eat Posted Image