trying to find turkish waiter

Rate this topic

Hi, in new to this forum, and any advice on this situation would be great. I went on holiday to marmaris in august 2003,and met a lovely Turkish waiter, we spent some time together then i flew back to England. We spoke on the phone several times when i came home and he asked me to come back etc but i was at uni at the time and due to our circumstances at the time, i didn't pursue it. further. I have thought of him from time to time over the years but life continued! The last few weeks he has appeared in my dreams almost every night, i don't have his number anymore, and understand that we met a long time ago and he may well me married or not in marmaris anymore, but my dreams of him have been so intense i feel i need to find himi don't remember which restaurant he worked in, one that faced the harbour, he is originally from Istanbul and has the same date of birth as me 18.04.83 , his name is mehmet and he used to live in a shared room near the market/ under covered market/ shops. Any information or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Hi hannahlouise,

Have you performed an internet search on him?  If he's active on social networking sites, he should come up.  Of course, you would need a first and last name, and hopefully he would have some type of profile picture for you to recognize him.  Just a thought.

Good luck.

...or be realistic and move on. don't mean to sound harsh, but reality is harsh sometimes. besides, it sounds like the classic scam setup: foreign girl meets hot turkish waiter, he leads her on, telling her everything she wants to hear ("oh, that's my birthday too!"), she falls hard for him, he starts asking her to send him money for his "sick uncle" or whatever, ends up taking her for everything she's got....  consider yourself lucky you got away clean 10 years ago.

Thank you for your replies. I've tried to find him on Facebook, but there are so many mehmets in Istanbul and marmaris that don't have profile photos, it makes it hard know if its him or not! Unfortunately i don't remember his surname, and i don't think you can find someone on Facebook just from their first name and date of birth. i know that it sounds like the typical Turkish waiter stories, and perhaps I'll never know, he was completely gorgeous 10 years ago, he didn't seem like he was nasty or anything like that, he told me his birthday, then i showed him my driving licence to match.perhaps i do just need to hold it as a nice memory, as maybe you're right he may have a big belly and be bald. Sometimes dreams are so good and other times they grip you, i feel like I'm reliving a romantic novel lol! i guess if I'm meant to find him it will happen, although I'm not sure how else i could find him. Thanks for your advice though x

"Mehmet" is a very common name such as Jack, Georghe or Andy in UK. Sorry but you are literally chasing a dream.

By the way,Istanbulwhiteboy, I'm a Turk and I've found your comment insultive. You are generalizing Turkish man and that's not cool. I agree that a lot of scammers exist but not all the waiters nor Turkish man are like that. 

Needle in a hay stack I'm afraid. Marmaris is massive now and every other waiter is call Mehmet! I first went to Marmaris 13 years ago and tried to track down old friends 3 years ago. By chance one was still there but the others had moved on. Also take his birthday with a pinch of salt. My other half has 2 birthdays! His actual end of April and the one he was registered with beginning of May. It wasn't uncommon back then to register a different date of birth. More strict now I think.

All his brothers were born on the 1st of January coincidently! According to their IDs anyway! Good luck though - you never know! Might be fate!

I guess you would have the best chance to find him if you went to Marmaris and the place where he worked. You could ask someone, and if you were lucky there could be someone who worked with him or knew someone else who worked with him. Marmaris is big now but somehow it feels like everyone knows someone who knows someone who knows third one and in the end you end up to find what you looked for. If you were lucky.

Yes a reunion would be great! If marmaris was closer to where i lived i would go and have a little look around to see if i could find him, but its so far away and i think i would be on a wild goose chase! I have got photos of him in an album in my mums loft, perhaps next time I go to visit i could try and dig them out and post them on here to see if anyone recognises him. Reading this back i sound nuts lol and all because of consistent dreams, i asure you in quite normal, usually ha ha!

By the way,Istanbulwhiteboy, I'm a Turk and I've found your comment insultive. You are generalizing Turkish man and that's not cool. I agree that a lot of scammers exist but not all the waiters nor Turkish man are like that. 

didn't mean to insult or offend anyone emre, of course it's not every waiter or every turkish man, i wasn't implying that by any means, but stereotypes are wrought in reality and the scam scenario that i mentioned has happened often enough to warrant being mentioned. it's not the first time it's been mentioned in this forum (or in countless other venues) and i'm sure this will not be the last time you'll see it mentioned here or elsewhere, either as a warning to potential victims or as a retelling of personal experiences by women who have been scammed. wasn't meant to be personal or an "attack" on turks in general. believe me, if i didn't love this country and its people i wouldn't be living here.

• 2 months later...