Sign in to follow this  
SarahP

Changing names on water and gas bills

Rate this topic

I bought a flat in Istanbul a few years ago and the Turkish guy who renovated it had his names on all my bills.  He is now charging me for this privilege, the problem is the utilities companies want to see a residency visa to change the names, but I live in North Cyprus and do not spend enough time in Turkey to warrant having a residency visa.  I managed to change the electricity by pleading and saying that  it seemed an unfair arrangement and they finally agreed.  Has anyone else had this problem, at the moment the gas and water is in his name and I really want to change it, I have the tapu in my name. 

Difficult one!  It's totally unfair, of course!  I would've thought you could get them changed by virtue of having the tapu in your name, as usually utility bills are in the name of the property owner (even when it's rented to a tenant).  I would presume if you refused to pay bills in someone else's name, they would become a charge on the other person, but then your utilities would be cut off, so it's a Catch 22 situation.

How about if you apply for a 6-month residency permit, just to get them in your name --- it doesn't mean you have to be tied to Turkey for that 6 months.  Good luck ! :)

You would need to have your name on the tapu to get them in your name. Have you considered the option of just not paying them when you're not there? There would be a fee to reconnect them. 

Just curious, but how did a guy who renovated your apartment manage to get the tapu in his name?