Sign in to follow this  
libyano

About dormant banking accounts in turkey

Rate this topic

Greetings,

I have relative who own a few bank accounts in garanti , isi bank , ziraat and his accounts become dormant because the banks couldn't reach him because he was outside turkey in the last 10 years .

are there any possibility to retrieve the money from TMSF again?

Hi Libyano, welcome to the forum! :)

Perhaps your relative could try this : http://www.e-sorgulama.net/diger/bankada-unutulan-paralari-sorgulama.html

Hr should enter his first name & surname in the space below, enter the code & press "ARA".  It should search all banks in Turkey........ hope it works!

Good luck! :)

Strange... I have two Turkish bank accounts and I did a search with my name and nothing came back.

If the website above doesn't work for you, go to the banks' websites. www.garanti.com.tr, www.isbank.com.tr, and www.ziraatbankasi.com. Try sending them an e-mail, in Turkish. They may take forever to reply though. And if you write in English, it may take longer.

What I would do is call the numbers on the websites. Ask for an English-speaker if you need one, all of these banks have English-speaking staff somewhere nearby. It will cost you for the call, but it will be more likely to get the answers you need. 

Your money is still safe. The bank owes your relative whatever amount was in his accounts, dormant or not, and they will pay it.

I tried to work out what was written in the link above & below where you put the details in.  Seems it's for searching dormant accounts only (ie. inactive 10 years +), which have apparently been put onto a list.  So for this reason it wouldn't work for current active accounts.

Then it seems to be saying application should be made by 15 June 2013, & there's a phone number below that to call for further enquiries.  I hope I've understood that correctly -- it may need a native Turkish speaker to confirm if that's right. :)

Interesting and good to know, so they do this in Turkey as well. Happened to me in Australia, but it tool much less than 10 years of not logging into my online banking, more like 2 or 3 years,  and a 5 figure sum was simply taken out of my account and given to the government. 

I thought my money was safe and some day I could no longer log into my online banking. It was a difficult process to get the money back.  

Did I say before I hate banks. Soon they will have been replaced by blockchain technology.