Traveling to Istanbul from the USA

Rate this topic

Well, I'm off to Turkey from JFK on Sunday.  It will be the first time my inlaws see their grandson.

I'm happy to be going, but nervous- I'm NOT looking forward to a 9 hour plane ride with an 18 month old!

Once there, I will be glad to relax with my husband as Babane and Dede dote over our son.  I'll be back in 9 days; hubby and son will come back six weeks later.  Here's to some me time; I plan to work out a lot and finish my screenplay so I don't go insane!

IWB- I thought you were from the States...  I'm going JFK to IST, straight shot. Granted, we're leaving 6 am and won't be in Izmit until the next day, door to door and time change.

I'm thinking of giving our son Benadryl...  Am I evil?

I'm not so worried about dealing with my son; I just don't want to feel horrible for ruining a whole plane full of people.  I'm self conscious enough as a person!

My husband ONLY flies Turkish Airlines. But the pliers are an effective metaphor for the dread I'm feeling right now.

Any suggestions?  And no, I don't drink alcohol!

Do a Google search for "benadryl for infants flying" you will get a lot of pro and con advice. It seems it may be OK and that many parents have had success as long as the child does not suffer side-effects; only a prior test can tell you that. Ask your pediatrician.

One article wrote about a "mother of three never flies without Phenergan, sold by prescription only in the U.

S., but apparently available over the counter in the U.

K. “This over-the-counter medicine contains promethazine, a sedating antihistamine"

THY also flies direct from Chicago and LA to ole Stamboul.

Clinky, not everyone on TC speaks your language. :wacko:  As Professor 'enry 'iggins tells us in Pygmalion (written by Mr. Bernard Shaw of course) There even are places where English completely disappears; Well, in America they haven't used it for years. :confused:

I see you are a fanatic of the Aston Villa Football Club. I had to look that up of course since I am no sports fanatic of any sort and totally ignorant of the UK variety.  Since they are in Birmingham, England (not Alabama), and since your profile lists you as from the UK, I fired up an online Oxford dictionary to find out the roots of the word dummy: I was told, among a score of other definitions, it is a rubber or plastic teat for a baby to suck on. I presume this is what you meant?

While in a pool hall in Kansas, I gave my toddler sister, who could scarcely stand up, large gulps of beer; she promptly toppled over from a sitting position and giggled until she fell asleep. She woke up hours later in a full fit, whether with a hangover or perhaps it was just her not-so-sunny disposition, I am still wondering; ah, but I digress. Along the same lines of "Clinkyness," you might try it as an alternative to the brandy.

Yes, I know, the kaolin was the clay part that settled the stomach and the morph part was a light sedative that calmed down the cramps. It generally sent me off to sleep straight away.

Gee's Linctus was a good one, too - tincture of opium diluted in alcohol and given to children in the UK for tickly coughs - I loved it!

Every once in a while I come across a British word I haven't heard before, but I usually figure it out by the context. I wasn't sure this time! :lol:

I have always heard it called a pacifier. A dummy was an ignorant or stupid person (as in the book title "Windows 8 for Dummies"), a mannequin or other artificial person used for some purpose like martial arts or training for fire personnel, or any other object used in place of the real thing for practice, as in an artificial rifle round (with no primer or powder in it) being called a "dummy" round.

On 12/25/2013 at 12:09 PM, Cukurbagli said:

English = dummy

American = comforter

I believe the most common usage in US English is pacifier = dummy in UK English.

A comforter to me is one of the below;  of late Middle English in its origin. 

1. A warm quilt.
  2. A person or thing that provides consolation. (I suppose this could qualify as a meaning for a pacifier).
  3. Dated:  a woolen scarf.

Origin: More late Middle English: from Old French comforteor, from conforter ‘to comfort’ (see comfort).

Yes it has Vic but since TT got on the plane last Sunday we're chatting while waiting to see how she got on. Advice is a bit late now.

On 12/21/2013 at 4:12 PM, TaterTot said:

IWB- I thought you were from the States...  I'm going JFK to IST, straight shot...  Granted, we're leaving 6 am and won't be in Izmit until the next day, door to door and time change...

I'm thinking of giving our son Benadryl...  Am I evil???

I flew from Los Angeles: 5hrs to NYC, 2hrs+ there, then another 10hrs from JFK. that was going.

Coming back we got stuck in immigration, missed our flight, and the only flight they would give us was via Atlanta, and that one was delayed by weather. we were stuck on the most disgusting 60's throwback of an airplane for 2hrs on the tarmac with no AC and disgusting orange/mustard/avocado colored vinyl seats, it was the pilot's last flight of his career so he was happy as a pig in $hit, and the flight attendant was so goddamned perky i wanted to shove my... anyway, it ended up being a 25-hour nightmare.

After that we only flew Lufthansa and never had a problem. THY didn't fly to LAX at that time. And no, you're not evil. Benedryl is a flying parent's best friend!

I'm Baaaaack!  : D

I've heard of a pacifier being called a dummy because I watch Shaun the Sheep! :)

Well, we did the Benadryl and it didn't quite work.  He slept for an hour so we could (almost) eat our meal, but then he stretched out on me and almost flipped the tray, whereby he woke up.

We dosed him again four hours later and he nodded off... 30 minutes before descending.

I think it's better strategy to give the brandy to the parents!!! 

Luckily, he wasn't loud; only rambunctious on my lap.  His thumb was up my nose, feet on my chest... horrible.  I don't envy Dad doing it solo on their return flight in six weeks... if they make it that long.  I have a feeling hubby's been a bit Americanized now and he's finding the Turkish way of life -- with the constant visiting and chatting till all hours -- a bit draining!  Plus, I'd like to think that I'm too irresistible to do without for that long!  :wub: