New to dating/liking a turkish boy

Rate this topic

Hi, 

I am in need of advice in planning to date a Turkish boy that attends my school, I am Australian. Now he hasn't had a girlfriend and I am unsure of how to approach the idea of us dating to him, and I want to know if their are any do's and don'ts if we were to date, and any advice you can give me on dating him?

I really like him, I want to date him and he thinks he religion would get in the way and I would just annoy him or be a pain. But thing is I don't care if he will be a pain and we can work around his religion. I understand we won't be able to kiss or have premarital sex (That's okay with me, because I am not very interested in that stuff anyway), but should I know of anything else that can't happen?

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Talk to him and see about being friends first. His attitude may depend on whether he has grown up in Australia, and his family background. If he is a strict Muslim, he probably should not even talk to you or look at you, but he's a teenage boy in Australia and quite likely wants to do the same things as his friends (ie date). His family may not be happy about him dating, and it could cause a lot a conflict if he goes against them, because the Western concept of dating doesn't exist. A young friend of mine was told that he should not have anything to do with girls until he had finished university, and thet then his family would help him find a suitable wife (ie an 'arranged' marriage, but not forced). 

Guest Martha88

I really like him, I want to date him and he thinks he religion would get in the way and I would just annoy him or be a pain. But thing is I don't care if he will be a pain and we can work around his religion. I understand we won't be able to kiss or have premarital sex (That's okay with me, because I am not very interested in that stuff anyway)

Him saying this I think is his hint of he doesn't want a girlfriend. And him telling you that you would annoy him and be a pain should be the biggest red flag..

Spot on, FamilyGirl.  Same with Rosalynn.

You have to respect his views.  He's probably not thinking that dating/having a girlfriend is an option for him.  Throwing yourself at him is a HUGE turnoff.

If you want to spend more time with him that's respectable and get to know him as just another student, then your best bet would be to go through the older brothers or sisters and tell them how you feel and see what they say.  Maybe something can be done so you can be study partners or something with chaperones.

You sound young.  If you are in high school, your main focus should be graduating, anyway.  No boyfriends.  Just get good grades and set your sights on success in college.  I'll be telling that to my 8 year old daughter in a few years, you can bet on that!

Guest Martha88

Spot on, FamilyGirl.  Same with Rosalynn.

You have to respect his views.  He's probably not thinking that dating/having a girlfriend is an option for him.  Throwing yourself at him is a HUGE turnoff.

If you want to spend more time with him that's respectable and get to know him as just another student, then your best bet would be to go through the older brothers or sisters and tell them how you feel and see what they say.  Maybe something can be done so you can be study partners or something with chaperones.

You sound young.  If you are in high school, your main focus should be graduating, anyway.  No boyfriends.  Just get good grades and set your sights on success in college.  I'll be telling that to my 8 year old daughter in a few years, you can bet on that!

I 110% agree with this. If he is interested in you he will come to you! I learned to throw a little bait at the boyfriend and leave it alone and he always comes to me. It won't hurt to show a little interest but over doing it you will lose a good friend.