Sign in to follow this  
Quinn

American Expats, Obamacare, and Required Med Insurance

Rate this topic

Hi everyone--

So I just read somewhere that between October 1 and March 2014, everyone (Americans) have to sign up for health insurance under Obamacare, or be fined if you don't.  I've done a little research and saw that if you are living abroad, you are exempt, but "living abroad" apparently means living away from the US 330 days a year, and between two vacations--one in the summer, one in the winter--I overstay that.  Just wondering how others are dealing with this/making sense of the rules. . . . 

I never travel to the States so I really do not know nor care what Obamacare has to offer.  Me and the Missus are retired and are on the Turkish Health System, a better health system than the mess in the States.

Here's one link, Tatertot.  I now can't find the site that quote the 330 day rule though.  :-(

DEAD LINK

Maybe I'll limit my time to less than 35 days if it turns out to be true that you can only spend 35 days back before being forced into the system . . . I'll see if I can find anything else . . .

With the government shutdown looming over the issue, it may be moot soon. Posted Image

If there is a shutdown retirees on social security will continue to get their checks. VA pensioners will get their checks this month but if the shutdown lasts past the end of October they will not. Posted Image

With the government shutdown looming over the issue, it may be moot soon. Posted Image

If there is a shutdown retirees on social security will continue to get their checks. VA pensioners will get their checks this month but if the shutdown lasts past the end of October they will not. Posted Image

Yes, it appears perhaps that individuals may have a year reprieve:

DEAD LINK

That is a bummer about VA pensions, Hobbit.  It seems to me vets should be entitled to count on their checks, after their service.

I add this for any US military retirees living in Turkey. Military retirees who have medical coverage under Tricare Standard Overseas meet the requirement of "minimum coverage," so no registration or anything else is necessary under the Affordable Care Act.