Sign in to follow this  
Austin0945

How to begin teaching in Turkey/ Requirements?

Rate this topic

I apologize if it has already been posted, but I am currently looking at the possibility of teaching English in Istanbul. I don't have any credentials but an overwhelmingly passionate drive to teach. Can anyone give me any suggestions about the TEFL course/gaining work permits/Visa's? Also I have many native Turkish friends that live in Istanbul. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Note I do understand it may take some time to gain certain credentials and Im not expecting to get answers that will tell me I can just pick up and go with a certificate or two, so please be truthful. Haha.

it depends on what you want to do. if you want to teach at a k12 or university you will usually need at least a bachelors and tefl/toefl (many places prefer the CELTA certificate from cambridge) and they are more likely to get you a work permit and a decent salary. without a degree you can still get a teaching job at a language school with just the CELTA but your chances of getting a work permit are slim and the pay will likely be lower, and you'll have to obtain residency on your own. the law has recently changed (it changes pretty frequently); as i understand it now if you don't already have residency here you now have to apply from your home country and upon hire your employer should obtain your work permit, which will double as your residency permit. check the forums for more specifics on that, i have a residency through other means so i'm not so well versed on that aspect. you don't necessarily need a teaching credential but it will increase your chances of getting a better job

You very unlikely to get a work permit to teach English without a degree, preferably in English and some sort of TEFL qualification. As IWB said you could get a job at a language school (dershane) with just a TEFL qualification but without a work permit you run the risk of being deported if you are caught and the treatment by some of the school owners/principals leaves a lot to be desired knowing that you can't complain to anyone.

Thank you everyone for your feedback, i'm curious does your degree have to be in the field of teaching or English? I'm very close to completing my degree however it's geared toward nutrition/dietitian. Would it be reasonable to think with that degree and having a CELTA certificate I would possibly be able to find a job that would offer to sponsor me on a work permit? I have checked around where I live and there is a school that offers a CELTA class,would I need anything else besides that?

I have a degree in History and a CELTA. I have a job in Istanbul as an English teacher, in a primary school.

Clinky, did you have a teaching certificate from your home country and experience in a K-12 (Kindergarten, elementary-high) school? It USED to be that without a valid teaching certificate from a teacher's home country, Milli Eğitim (Turkish Ministry of Education) would not approve a teacher.

Robert College (high school/lise) employment page states "All social studies/history courses are taught ONLY in Turkish by Turkish nationals--following the regulations of the Turkish Ministry of Education. Also guidance/counseling professionals are bi-lingual Turks.

AND

The Turkish Ministry of Education has requirements that MUST be met before we are allowed to offer a contract. These are:

1. an undergraduate degree in the subject area to be taught,

and

2. a valid teaching certificate in this subject area.

Hope this helps

Porscha where is your school located? Im in the process of completing a TEFL online course but with great difficulty but I don't have any teaching experience at all or any university degrees. Anything available for me aswell?

I am a possible expat from California.  I have been reading (SEVERAL FORUMS) about the requirements to become a teacher.  I will be going to Istanbul to take the CELTA course but my only concern for getting a job afterwards is my degree.  I do not have a university degree but a tech school degree.  It was a 9 month course for Medical Billing and Health Insurance (passed with very high grades).  I was told by one school that as long as it says "college" and that it is at least an 8 month course, the department of ministry wont really know the difference.  

I don't want to spend all this money to move over there, take the course and then find that my tech degree will not be enough.  I have been private school educated from K-12 grade and I have worked in several well known international companies (Coca-Cola, Digitas, PCMall, etc).  Will the CELTA and tech degree be enough to get me a work visa?

I am looking at attending either Oxford House College or International Teaching Institute.  So if you have any comments about either of those schools, it would be much appreciated.  

Tesekkuler!

I have a degree in History and a CELTA. I have a job in Istanbul as an English teacher, in a primary school.

Clinky, I asked earlier, did you come to Turkey with a teaching certificate from your home country? That used to be the requirement for teaching in a K-12 (elementary/high). school

I am a possible expat from California.  I have been reading (SEVERAL FORUMS) about the requirements to become a teacher.  I will be going to Istanbul to take the CELTA course but my only concern for getting a job afterwards is my degree.  I do not have a university degree but a tech school degree.  It was a 9 month course for Medical Billing and Health Insurance (passed with very high grades).  I was told by one school that as long as it says "college" and that it is at least an 8 month course, the department of ministry wont really know the difference.  

I don't want to spend all this money to move over there, take the course and then find that my tech degree will not be enough.  I have been private school educated from K-12 grade and I have worked in several well known international companies (Coca-Cola, Digitas, PCMall, etc).  Will the CELTA and tech degree be enough to get me a work visa?

I am looking at attending either Oxford House College or International Teaching Institute.  So if you have any comments about either of those schools, it would be much appreciated. 

It sounds as if you wishful thinking is getting the best of you. Read the posts above, it is highly unlikely that you can find a good, legitimate teaching position in a legitimate K-12 school or university.  You might find "employment" of the most uncertain and probably illegal kind and it would be you to suffer the brunt of the penalty if you are caught.

Hi all,

I am new to this website but have been doing mad research on ESL teaching in Turkey. I have read posts on this website, Dave's ESL cafe, and TEFLON blacklist. It certainly has helped me in my decision making. 

I have my TESL/TEFL/TOEFL certificate and becoming certified to teach Business English and TOEFL Preparation. I have a Masters in Arts Administration with an undergraduate in Communications and lots of work experience. I have been offered a position teaching in Bursa with a company that has received both good and bad reviews. All of this research is paying off!

I have added this site to my favorites and would like to say THANKS! for all of the great comments and practical advice. It has really helped with preparing me for the culture shock and with a positive attitude to hit the ground running. 

Hi everyone!

I am new to this forum and I was hoping for some advice. I would like to arrange private English lessons for my 12 year old from a native speaker (preferably British or American) with a CELTA certificate who has has experience with teenagers. I need the lessons to help her with her English classes at school and also for B1 level Cambridge exam. If anyone is interested could you send me an email at [email protected]? We live on the European side in Istanbul at a central location.

Thanks!

I was told by one school that as long as it says "college" and that it is at least an 8 month course, the department of ministry wont really know the difference.  

The people in the Ministry of Education might not know English but they can count. They also have lists of approved institutions, and I would bet money that the tech school you studied at is not on it. You need to have graduated with a university degree (3 or 4 years depending on where you are applying) and have a teaching certificate to obtain a work permit from the Ministry of Education to teach K12, and to have graduated with a university degree (3 or 4 years depending on where you are applying) to get a work permit from YOK to teach at universities. Unfortunately many Turkish schools will give you any answer, whether true or not, rather than say they don't know. With your qualifications you would not be able to get a legitimate work permit, and if you did obtain one using a falsely translated certificate you risk a fine, deportation and a ban if caught. It would only take one person to know and report you and it would be bye bye Turkey. So in answer to your question "Will the CELTA and tech degree be enough to get me a work visa?", the answer is no.

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum and i aslo wanted to teach english In Turkey. Now, i know that i need to require a B.A along with the TELF certification but i was just wondering do you also need to require A.A as well? And isn't that before you need to require your B.A? My question is; What do i actually need to require first in order to teach english in Turkey?

Care

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum and i aslo wanted to teach english In Turkey. Now, i know that i need to require a B.A along with the TELF certification but i was just wondering do you also need to require A.A as well? And isn't that before you need to require your B.A? My question is; What do i actually need to require first in order to teach english in Turkey?

Carefully read posts number 14 and 10.

Hi to everyone. I am new here and i would like to say greeting to all of you, the forum is looking just awesome.

My story shortly is: I am from Bulgaria, i have been couple of time in Turkey once doing voluntary service, but mostly as a tourist for longer periods and now i would like to become an english teacher. I have an university degree, but not in the field of teaching or english and currently I am looking for a TEFL, CELTA course to complete and i have some non-formal experience in teaching.

I read most of the discussions on ESL teaching in Turkey and there is much useful information, however still couple of things i need to understand specifically.

1. Will there be a problem that i am not native speaker, if my communication is fluent ?

2. Will it be enough to have a bachelor degree in any field and TEFL, CELTA certificate to find decent teaching placement ?

3.  Is it better to go for the course in Turkey, rather these many online option and if yes do you have some suggestions for a specific course and place?

Thank you a lot beforehand i think these answers will be enough to make a decision. Have a nice day.

You probably need a teaching certificate (e.g. tesol, celta) as well as your degree. In any case, it is a good idea to have had some training to get ready for the classroom.

You should be able to get a good job with a degree in English.

Did you do any pedagogy or teaching courses during your degree and are they on your transcript? Or does your certificate mention education or teaching anywhere? If it does, you may not need the teaching cert.