Moving to Izmir with my wife and our dogs important questions and help

Rate this topic

Hi Everybody, 

I and my wife are moving to Turkey next week. As far as the location, we have thinking of Izmir as  less expensive and  less crowded city. But we are not sure about the turk's mentality about pets and we do not have too much information about how turk's deal with foreigners and if it is wise to go there and start a business or work with them.  

We don't know much about Izmir.

Could anybody tell us about any particular area that is safe, more international and relatively inexpensive?  What is the best way to find an short term apartment?

Thanks everybody in advance.

Hi Everybody, 

I and my wife are moving to Turkey next week. As far as the location, we have thinking of Izmir as  less expensive and  less crowded city. But we are not sure about the turk's mentality about pets and we do not have too much information about how turk's deal with foreigners and if it is wise to go there and start a business or work with them.  

We don't know much about Izmir.

Could anybody tell us about any particular area that is safe, more international and relatively inexpensive?  What is the best way to find an short term apartment?

Thanks everybody in advance.

That is some post lol you are moving to Turkey next week but don't know where, you are not sure about the Turks mentality about pets, or how you will be received when you do/if you move to Turkey, you have no idea about working with (if you can at all) Turkish people and you have no idea about the cost of living or where to live. I now thats what I call flying by the seat of your pants, perhaps it would  be good to do a little research before the move.

Tony, that's what they are doing.

The attitude towards pets varies in Izmir, but you will find some real animal lovers there.  I've lived in some apartment complexes where pets are forbidden and others where they are not, you will just have to ask your landlord about it.

Turks in general are very used to, and hospitable to foreigners. Izmir especially. It won't be a problem.  But avoid getting in to any business situation that you don't control. If you have a Turkish partner, be involved with every aspect of what they are doing. That might seem stereotypical, but I think a lot of Turks would tell you the same thing.

Alsancak is the place you describe. It is the social and upscale center of Izmir. Karşıyaka or Bostanlı, across the bay from Alsancak, are also nice places to live.  There are cheaper places on the outskirts of Alsancak, like Karamanlar or the area north of Talatpaşa Bulvarı.  Don't go to far away from Talatpaşa though, since the neighborhood gets worst the farther you get away.

For a short-term lease I would just contact landlords who are renting long-term and ask them if they would rent short-term, perhaps for a slight increase in rent. I think a lot of them would go for that.

• 1 month later...