Sign in to follow this  
dblose

NATO Civilian and Customs

Rate this topic

Greetings from the United Kingdom.  I am the creator of the Izmir and Turkiye DVDs from my earlier tours in Izmir (1995-97 and 2001-2002).  I am a retired US military member and have accepted a job  as a NATO Civilian at the HQs in Izmir, which is a three year contract.  We are planning to arrive in Izmir in mid-November.

As a NATO Civilian, I am not associated with the US military or US government and therefore do not have the type of support available that I had when I moved to Izmir as a military member.  I am trying to sort out what that means particularly regarding my processing and arrival of my household goods. 

I will be shipping household goods from the UK and we will be driving from the UK.  When we process at the border, what procedure should be applied for my circumstance? Do we purchase visas?  How is the car supposed to be processed.  I want to avoid having to undo any procedures which are not appropriate to my situation (i.e. having my vehicle in my passport; 180 day limitations, etc).  I am working with the NATO HQs in order to get some kind of NATO Orders to facilitate my processing.  

Where in the process of the arrival and delivery of my household goods will my status as a NATO employee be able to influence how the processing of those goods are managed.

I appreciate all the information I have found on this website and thank you in advance for any insight you can provide regarding this situation or living in Izmir in general.  

This time, I'm coming with an HD camera and have expectations of capturing the wonderful life of Turkey in HD.

Cheers,

David

Hi David,

I was military in Izmir around the same time as you, I was there from '97 to '98.

It would seem to me that as a contractor you would get some support. Anyway you need to enter Turkey with a work visa, which involves a process both you and your employer do simultaneously. They will send you a copy of your contract, orders, or an employment letter, and you need to take that with you (along with other documents) when you go to a Turkish embassy or consulate to start the paperwork for your work visa.  That takes around 30 days I believe, it might be faster these days. Once you get in to Turkey you will apply for a residence permit which has working privileges. See these articles on work visas and work permits in Turkey.

Other members can assist you regarding bringing a car across the border, since I have never done that.

While in Turkey, your car will be on a "Beyaname" bey-yah-nah-meh, which is a customs document that you will arrange during your in-processing. It will be good to go for your whole tour of duty. The same goes for household goods.

As I understand it, shipment of household goods would be managed by a private company on contract with your employer or with the US government. The delivery would be the same as any commercial move.

To close the loop on my experience moving to Izmir.  I ended up entering on a tourist passport and once I signed my contract with NATO, I was able to go have my vehicle removed from my passport and put on my Bayonamme.  As a NATO civilian I do get BX and Commissary privileges.  However, as a NATO civilian, I did not get the support that US personnel receive from the support base--i.e. no housing support, no transportation support, etc.  I am essentially stateless in this sense.  Six weeks into our move here, it has been brutal getting settled, but we are happy and expecting a great time here.  

post-10816-0-33100100-1388850590_thumb.j

Unfortunately you only get those services which are specifically stated in the contract. I used to work on contract as well in Turkey, both for VBR and a company called CACI. When I was at Incirlik at the start of the second gulf war they refused to give me a gas mask and chemical suit because it wasn't specifically stated in the contract that I needed one! So brother, I know how it is! Posted Image

At least you got BX and Commissary privileges, that's the best one. DBlose, if you need help with anything, I live in Izmir for a long time after my military days, I just moved from there a couple of years ago. So feel free to ask any questions you might have and I'll try to help.

If they haven't told you already, with the car on your Beyaname, NEVER let a Turk drive your car. If the police catch him, they can (and have) confiscate your car. It happened to a friend of mine.