Sign in to follow this  
LindaAnneStaines

Does a Turkish ID card confirm Nationality

Rate this topic

Hi Everyone

Hoping I've posted this in the right place.

My partner is Turkish. We are hoping to get married in the UK. At the moment he doesnt have access to his passport and the registry office have said that they might accept his Turkish ID as proof of nationality if it states Nationality - Turkish.

My question is that is on the ID I cant see anywhere that it clearly states Nationality. It has my partners place of birth and town name but apparently this isnt enough for proof of him being Turkish.

Advice please?

How (apart from his passport) can he prove he is Turkish as they don't have birth certificate?

Many thanks

Linda

Dear Linda,

Welcome to our forum.

You may submit the registry office a paper covering all his ID information given by Turkish Registry Office.

Regards,

Merve Balin

Hello Linda,

Just took a look at my identity card (I am also turkish)

It says 'Turkiye Cumhuriyeti' on the front with a Turkish ( Crescent and Star) emblem with same words round the image.

I should think that is proof enough.

This card has been accepted by the German authorities as identity in lieu of my passport .

From a logical point of view, it must be next to impossible to obtain a Turkish ID card without proof that you are entitled to it (?) Posted Image There should be an ID reference number on it, by which it should be possible for the Consulate to check on the internet.

Meral,

You are absolutely correct - it is impossible to get a Turkish ID without being entitled to it and very difficult to obtain even if you are entitled.

The paperwork and procedures are daunting

The kimlik number which is on the identity card is just below the photograph should suffice.

Hi people

Thanks for your replies! most helpful!

Our first registry office said that you could have ID but not be Turkish i.e born in England with Turkish parents or married to a Turkish person which doesn't mean you are Turkish.

I went to another registry office that said the ID would be enough if it was translated as I pointed out that on a British birth certificate it doesn't state you are British just where you were born.Fingers crossed this is enough. We've only just found out that he can use his ID as was told by the home office he needed his passport!! grrrr!

seem to be on the right track now!

Thank you again and thank you for the nice welcome.

Kind regards

Linda

Hi Linda, congratulations on your forth coming marriage. I have just added a bit of extra information. When a British person has a civil marriage in Turkey the UK does recognise the marriage as legal, without the need to register it in the UK. However, when a Turk marries a British national in the UK the marriage has to be registered at the Turkish Consulate. Until the marriage is registered at the TC it will not recognised as being legal in Turkey. What is your partners immigration status in the UK?
Procedure and documents for registration of a marriage between a Turkish and foreign national in the UK are as follows:
First, you need to get in touch with the local registration office in the UK.
Turkish citizen needs to obtain a certificate of no impediment from his/her local registration office in Turkey through this Consulate General. To this end, s/he needs to apply to this Consulate General with his/her ID card (nüfus cüzdanı).
Following the marriage ceremony and having the marriage registered at the local registration office in the UK, Turkish national has to inform this Consulate General of his/her marriage within one month just after the marriage.
For the registration of marriage at this Consulate General, following documents have to be produced:
Marriage certificate and a photocopy
Full birth certificate of the foreign national and a photocopy
ID card of Turkish spouse (nüfus cüzdanı) and a photocopy
Postal fee (£6)
Please note that in the event that you fail to register your marriage with Turkish Consulate within a month following the ceremony before the British authorities, you will be liable to pay for a fine of £ 26,70.
A copy of foreign national's passport, his/her father's and mother's name and his/her religion must also be communicated to the Consulate in writing.
Please note that foreign women marrying Turkish men in the UK may apply for Turkish citizenship after 3 years of marriage, if she intends to live in Turkey. The Republic of Turkey accepts dual nationality as long as bride's country does not object it.

http://www.turkishconsulate.org.uk/en/marriage_divorce.asp?PageID=3

Hi AbiMany thanks for te info. I was aware that we would need to go to the Turkish consulate however we are also having a blessing in Turkey so if necessary we could marry again there? Don't know if that's allowed but it would save the fuss of going to the consulate?Thanks for the info about what documents needed. My partner is waiting for a decree absolute to come through so he can't get a no impediment certificate as it would show he is married in Turkey.Again many thanks for your helpRegarding citizenship in Turkey. I personally would love us to move there after a year or so. We've been here 2 years already just not married. I can apply for residency and a work permit if necessary? If I stay in Turkey can I then apply for citizenship? Are the rules more 'relaxed' if I apply in the UK or are they the same as Turkey. I.e speak fluent Turkish - I am learning but it is hard!And also - why is life so hard (hehe) if you have the answer to that you're amazing!

As the registry office have asked for his kimlik to be translated there is a section on it which states whether he is married or single. Because he hasn't had his decree absolute his kimlik will show that he is married and he won't be able to change his status until he has that paperwork and goes to the Nufus office to make the change. He will then get a new kimlik showing he is single again.

Not sure what you mean by having a blessing in Turkey. Do you mean having a Nikah ceremony? A Nikah ceremony is not recognised in Turkey as being legal as it just a religious ceremony. It would however please the Turkish side of the family if they are religious.

If you come to live in Turkey getting a resident permit is easy, depending on what work you intend to do it may not be so easy to find an employer who is willing to apply for a work permit for you.

Even though you have been living together for 2 years it doesn't count for anything, you will still have to wait until you have been married for 3 years before you can apply Turkish citizenship. You don't need to be fluent in Turkish, but should have a good understanding. I think the rules are the same, but your application may be processed faster if it's done in the UK.

Good luck Posted Image

HiI've just checked it and it does say married but If he has his decree absolute does he still have to change the Kimlik card?Yes I mean a religious ceremony but we could also have a legal marriage too?His ID is just to prove who he his not for the purpose of if he is free to marry.His ID is just to prove who he his not for the purpose of if he is free to marry.Also I'd be looking to teach English and study part time. I don't think I can hack waiting 3 years here! I'd be on the first plane tomorrow if I could

By rights yes he should have changes made to his kimlik. Whilst they are only asking for his ID card to be translated to prove who he is, I was just wondering what they would say about his status showing that he was listed as still being married would be. I suppose if he took his decree absolute together with a translation of it, it would solve the problem :)

Yes, you can still have a civil wedding here. If you read other posts about getting married on the forum you will see that you will need to bring certain documents with you and what you need to do when you get here.

Not sure which part of Turkey you will be thinking of living in in the future but there is more scope for teaching in some areas than others.