Sign in to follow this  
LeeLaMare

Job Transfer

Rate this topic

I Apologize if i posted this in the wrong place. I was wondering how likely it would be for a business to accept a transfer from America? I want to be closer to my family and and have my kids experience living in Turkey for a while. Or would it be easier to find a decent job there?  

I presume that you are Turkish even if you've lived abroad for a long time. If you can find an American company with branches in Turkey that would be your best bet or you could look at the job ads in the daily newspapers like Hurriyet. What is your line of work?

Another question, have you done your military service or got an exemption because that could cause problems if you haven't sorted that out? Also most companies would want a certificate to say that you have done your service as a condition of employment.

I was born on base. my dad was air force mom is turkish i am american citizen by american soil. I work for UPS united parcel service, and its pretty much a deadend when asking them about a transfer. so i looked online and found no numbers to the UPS there. Now if i were to get a job transfer would i have to get a work permit? I was kind of hoping that (and remember im just dreaming) that they would love to have a person transfer who speaks turkish and speaks englsh, and who is already fully trained to do the job. i know as easy it is to picture that, that usually isn't the case. but my aunt just opened up a resturant too and she wants me to help her out too idk how i would go about that. then there is my Grandmother in the village i want to be with and look after. My career is important to me as i invested alot of time with them. but my family will always overrule that, if i can't get a transfer

Even though you are US citizen because your mother is Turkish you automatically gained Turkish nationality when you were born, and will be recognised by the Turkish authorities as a Turk. You wouldn't need a work permit, but would need to apply to your nearest Turkish Consulate for you kimlik, which is a Turkish ID card. As Sunny said military service could therefore cause you a problem. If you can't defer you have 2 options. The first would be to buy yourself out of doing national service. At the time of writing it would cost you 10,000 euros. At the moment there is a possibility it may go down to 6,000 euros, but we don't know when that is going to happen. Your other option would be for you to renounce your Turkish citizenship. Again you would need to contact the Turkish Consulate and ask either of those options. Here is the link to UPS in Turkey http://www.ups.com/content/tr/en/contact Good luck :)

Welcome AliAbi. The option of renouncing citizenship isn't always easy, and of course your Consulate will advise. If you manage to get this option, you should be given a Mavi Kart which, despite presenting you as a non-citizen, should still entitle you to most of the benefits enjoyed by citizens, such as the right to come here to visit or live, and to work without worrying about permits etc. Once again, please refer to your Consulate. Good luck ! :)

you might want to seek jobs in www.kariyer.net, which is the biggest online job site of Turkey. Although you will have some issues about work permission if you are not a Turkish Citizen, there are a lot of companies exist in this site.

good luck.