Sign in to follow this  
Mawaheb

Pre-paid credit card ?

Rate this topic

Hello,

Guys, Has any one tried to buy/use a prepaid credit card?

Basically, I want to be able to pay online, I've heard that Turkish bank has something called "MaxiPara" that is prepaid, and can be refilled , I don't know if that correct? and if there is something like this at all ? or anything similar that i can use to pay online ?

Thanks in Advance for any help/tips.

I had an American Pre-Paid card in Istanbul and when I got there I realized that it couldn't be used for most things because it didn't have a pin number. So no ATMS or many restaurants.

I don't know if that was just my type of card though, but it was a big surprise!

Hello, all, thank you for passing by,

Actually some other expat pointed to me that it's possible and here i quote :

You can create a "sanal kart" ("cyber card") with the credit card you already have, and use the digits of that one when asked for your credit card info. It gets credited to your actual card, but 1) you don't have to enter the actual card number 2) you set your own limit on this card....so, for an onljne purchase of $10, you can set the limit to just that much and avoid any overdrawing....

I will try that with my Bank, and let you know what happens .

Actually, i've visited a couple of banks today! and they all told me that i need to open an account with them first, to be able to have the Sanal kart, but, what i want is different.

In lebanon, you can buy a prepaid credit card at any "Mobile phone shop" !! you can simply get one that is pre-filled with 50 dollars for instance , without the complications of opening a bank account! this is what i am after!

Any ideas if this exists in Turkey ?

If you have to open a bank account just to get a "pre-paid credit card", then it's no different than a debit card, ie. spending your own money.

I've never seen the likes of the card you describe above Mawaheb, except as in the form of a "gift card" that allows you to spend up to a certain amount (usually in a particular shop). However it might be nice if there were such a thing in Turkey...... like paying for something before you even buy it ? :)

Here is an example of what i mean : http://www.fransabank.com/English/BusinessActivities/ConsumerBanking/PaymentCards/AccessibilityCards/Pages/Internet-Prepaid-Card.aspx

in Lebanon, it's so common and easy , that you can buy it from any mobile phone shop !! (PS. in the link it describes the one that are issued from the bank, but yet, you CAN buy one from regular small mobile phone shop at the corner !)

and here is a list of other options ! :http://www.mastercard.us/get-a-prepaid-card.html

but for sure, I want one that i can simply pay for it, and get it directly, like the ones in Lebanon, it's usually pre-filled with 50$,100$, etc ... you pay, you get it, you open it and use it right away .

Wow, that looks good ! It looks by far the safest way to pay for stuff online ! I wonder if anyone can apply ...... or is it just for residents of Lebanon ???? I'd probably use it for booking flights.

Garanti Bank do this sort of card but you do have to have a bank account with them. The debit card (Paracard) which comes with your account can be used to withdraw money from ATM or pay in shops in Turkey but you can't use it for ınternet payments. So if you don't want to take out a credit card, they offer a virtual card which you top up from your account and can use to buy flight tickets etc. over the internet.

I have never heard of a pre-paid credit card either.

We use a "virtual card" (VC) through Yapi Kredi Bank. Of course you have to have an account and get a regular credit card through them. Then you have to ask for the VC to be set up whereby it is then tied to our regular credit card limits. When making an online purchase we go to the YKB web site and set a limit (usually a bit over the price of the item we want to purchase), we also then set a time limit (1 day or more) as to when the VC can be used. We are then liable only for the amount for which we set the limit and only within the time limits.

The only "catch" is when ordering from a place like Amazon. Many of their items ship from non-Amazon vendors and it is they who determine when the credit card will be charged. We got into that just recently. Amazon sent us a notice that "something was wrong with our credit card number." We then went back to YKB web site and changed the date and amount of the purchase and then it went through OK.

Hobbit, sounds complicated to me, why don't you just use your credit card? The only reason I enquired at Garanti about a virtual card was because I was under the mistaken impression that foreigners couldn't get credit cards. Now I have credit cards with the banks I use, I just use those.

The Virtual Card is (if I'm not mistaken?) tied or linked to your regular bank account, as is the credit card. As such, risks occur if they get into the "wrong" hands.

But the prepaid credit card which the original poster refers to isn't linked to any of your accounts at all --- it's just a stand-alone card which you can buy in selected shops and top up at various points (sort of like the British Oyster card used for public transport). When using them online, they can't be traced back to any of your accounts, and if they are lost or stolen, the most you can lose is whatever little credit is left on it.

That Blom card in post #9 seems to be rechargeable at the bank from your account, at a small cost, or at a higher cost if you don't have an account. :(

I've never liked credit cards & refuse to use them, much as my 2 banks have tried to issue me one. I use my debit card as little as possible & restrict the funds in the account it is linked to.

I really like the idea of the prepaid credit card & hope I can find such a product that can be used in Turkey. Posted Image

It would be interesting to know whether this type of card is available in Turkey. They used to exist in France but were stopped as they were a terrorist risk and mainly used by drugs/arms dealers since they cannot be traced back to an address or an account.

The Virtual Card is (if I'm not mistaken?) tied or linked to your regular bank account, as is the credit card. As such, risks occur if they get into the "wrong" hands.

But the prepaid credit card which the original poster refers to isn't linked to any of your accounts at all...I really like the idea of the prepaid credit card & hope I can find such a product that can be used in Turkey. Posted Image

Our YKB virtual card has a different number and expiration date. The 3-digit security number changes every time you use the card. You are only liable for the amount of your purchase and only on the dates you allow the purchase. As I wrote above, we had to re-enter the card information for our Amazon order because the vendor delayed the transaction and the authorisation date had expired. I think that is about as safe as one can get for an online transaction.

The prepaid card would be a very good thing to have. Posted Image

It would be interesting to know whether this type of card is available in Turkey. They used to exist in France but were stopped as they were a terrorist risk and mainly used by drugs/arms dealers since they cannot be traced back to an address or an account.

One can buy a prepaid mobile phone and discard it, so let us stop selling them. One can use a telephone booth for clandestine calls, let us rip them all out. The Internet can be used by terroristas, lords of war and banditos so let us take down the Internet and stop all incoming and outgoing connections. Drug, arms and terror folks almost always have access to obscene amounts of cash, we should probably stop using currency? Seems like a bit of an overreaction. Posted Image Interesting...

That one from Fransabank shows it as a Visa card ... so if, supposedly a Visa card can be used anywhere in the world that accepts Visa, presumably it could be used in Turkey? Only trouble is, no way to top it up here! :lol:

Guess we'll just have to wait till some enterprising group introduces it ?