Sign in to follow this  
IstanbulWhiteboy

Imported Mobile Phones

Rate this topic

i know this topic has been mentioned at times, though not this specific situation, and i haven't been able to find a recent answer (the laws change so often it may have changed recently). i have a friend coming from the UK in september and she's planning to bring me a used samsung galaxyS3. from what i've been able to figure out, the only way to register it is to show that i've entered the country within the last 30 days (plus the 115TL tax etc). does anyone know how or if it's possible to have it registered in my name without a recent entry stamp on my own passport? would a border run to one of the islands or to bulgaria fulfil the 30day reentry stamp requirement? can it be registered as a gift? i haven't purchased a phone in the last 2 years and have never registered a foreign phone... i've been here for 2-1/2 years now and currently have another 2-1/2 years on my RP.

I don't know how things currently work, but about a year and a half ago, I ordered an iPhone from the States. I went to a Greek island, and on return, bought an entry visa (that I didn't need, I just got it so I could register my iPhone). I figured that the people at TurkCell were just given basic instructions on what to do (see proof of recent entry to Turkey on the passport and activate the phone). The guy asked me when I entered Turkey. I showed him my passport and visa, and entry stamp, and said "I entered Turkey on this date," which I did. He activated my phone. Again I don't know if things are more strict now. But it has been done.

As far as I know it can't be registered as a gift. The only way it can be registered in your name is for you to do a border run to get a stamp in your passport showing that you have entered Turkey within 30 days after paying the 115TL tax as you stated above.

A friend recently bought a phone over from the States and was unable to register it within 30 days of arriving in the country. She paid the tax on it - 100tl (about a month ago). Then she was told (by AVEA) she should hop out of the country for a day and get a new entry stamp, which confirms what Ken is saying. There doesn't seem to be anyway round this.