Driving to Turkey and staying for 6 months what do i need

Rate this topic

Hello I am retired and I intend to spend next summer in Turkey I want to take my car with me.

Now I have been reading other posts and I am getting mixed up.

Can some one give me any advice.

I am married to a Brit/Turk and can apply for my kimlik if needed

Thanks Dawn

Hi Dawn, You can apply for Turkish citizenship if you have been married to your Turkish husband for longer than 3 years.

Here is a link to the Turkish Consulate which gives details of how to apply. Your Turkish language skills will also be tested.

Good luck

Hello Dawn, welcome to Turkey Central. You can bring your car to Turkey and keep it here for six months only. It will be entered on your passport and then has to be taken out of Turkey on or before six months from the date of entry. The car has to be outside Turkey for six months before it can be brought in again. You will have to purchase insurance at the border when it enters Turkey.

Çukurbağlı's blog. Warning - takes you off the forum and into the www.wilderness

Thanks for the replies I thought if I was retired I could bring the car for 2 years? and have you any idea how much insurance will cost and any other pitfalls I could encounter.

Turkish citizenship isn't an option at this time as my langusge is minimal

Sorry, no idea about insurance cost, it will probably depend on the vehicle size and age. Where did you get the 2 years information from?

Çukurbağlı's blog. Warning - takes you off the forum and into the www.wilderness

You will in effect enter Turkey as a tourist,& as that, you will have a tourist visa stamped in your passport.

This will entitle you to stay here for 90 days only,so you will need to apply for a Residence Permit. This will cost you 198tl for the blue book & approx 150tl for a 1 year residency. Depending on what part of Turkey you are living in depends on what paperwork is required for your application.

As stated previously when you come into the country with your car,it's details are stamped into your passport & you can keep it here for 6 months,then it should be taken out for 6 months,then it's allowed back for 6 months,then out for good.

Thank you Sunny. In retrospect I think I will do the 6 month stay it seems to be the easiest for me and if in the future we live in Turkey full time I will sell my car and get a banger there.

Now for question 2 has anyone used the car train from Dusseldorf to Istanbul that looks like a good way to travel.

Not so much hastle

Dawn