Change to SGK regulations

Rate this topic

The following is quoted from the British Embassy in Ankara facebook pages posted today 2 July 2013:

"Changes to SGK regulations:

It is no longer compulsory for foreign nationals to join the SGK health scheme. Those wishing to join may do so after one year of residency in Turkey with a residence permit. All foreign nationals who have been residing longer than a year will also be eligible to apply and payments will start from the date of application. Payments will not be back dated.

The only time when a foreign national will be able to cease membership, or withdraw their application from SGK, is when they decide to leave Turkey to return to their country or if they join an official health scheme (e.g. NHS).

If leaving Turkey on a permanent basis an individual must surrender their residence permit to the Foreigners Police Department and write a letter to their SGK office informing them that they are leaving the country.

On joining an official health scheme a letter proving membership of the scheme must be submitted to the SGK office."

Çukurbağlı's blog. Warning - takes you off the forum and into the www.wilderness

• 3 months later...

Where would I find out more about this scheme?

Please also be aware that some people have had letters from S.

G.

K. stating that only the policy holder is now covered not their spouse.

This has been discussed on another very well known forum.

Could you provide more details please? Posted Image

Hobbit,it was discussed on Turkish Living Forums last week when some folks there were getting letters from their SGK office & one guy went in to his local office [location unknown ] & was told that now only the person who took out the SGK is covered not their partner.

Not sure about kids,as most people taking about it were retirees.

All has gone quiet at the moment on the subject,but i'll come here & inform you if any more info. becomes available.

• 1 month later...

Hi Garry and welcome to Turkey Central.

Thank you for posting those links, I think most people will be aware of most of the changes by now but the one that they may perhaps not be aware of is in this paragraph:

"Retired and RECEIVING a UK state pension

For anyone who is in receipt of a UK state pension they are no longer entitled to benefit from healthcare under the scheme.

This rule was written into the 2010 laws on SGK but has only just been enforced. The reasoning behind excluding pensioners from the scheme was based on the ruling that nationals of those countries who have signed a Reciprocal Health Agreement with Turkey automatically benefit from their own country’s health scheme on receipt of a state pension and whilst residing in Turkey.

The Consulate have pointed out that this does not apply to British nationals in this situation who have lived out of the UK for over 6 months.

The SGK directorate are keen to establish a Reciprocal Health Agreement with the UK and this will form part of the Bilateral talks between the two governments which will take place early in 2014.

If you are in receipt of a UK state pension then you must declare this in writing at your SGK office and will no longer be entitled to benefit from the scheme and should consider taking out private health insurance.
"

The sentence that will be important to a lot of us living here is "The Consulate have pointed out that this does not apply to British nationals in this situation who have lived out of the UK for over 6 months." because our entitlement to NHS health care/treatment in UK ceases after we have lived outside UK for 6 months or more.

We need to push the British Consulate into confirming with the relevant Turkish authorities that we are entitled to be members of the SGK health care system.

Çukurbağlı's blog. Warning - takes you off the forum and into the www.wilderness

From what I understand, the key word here is STATE, that is, a government plan. I receive healthcare coverage from the US government, which works anywhere in the world (pay cash, file claim, get refund) because I am retired from the military. And that makes me ineligible for SGK insurance--I couldn't even sign up if I wanted to.

I wonder how this will affect Americans in Turkey under Obamacare, since that is also a STATE health insurance plan.

Want us to do your Tukey residence permit application, get your tax number and health insurance, and make the payment of your residence permit fees for you? Then visit our other website, TurkeyPermit.com.

I wonder how this will affect Americans in Turkey under Obamacare, since that is also a STATE health insurance plan.

It seems like not at all if you live in Turkey under a residence permit.

DEAD LINK

U.

S. citizens living abroad are generally subject to the same individual shared responsibility provision as U.

S. citizens living in the United States. Starting in 2014, the individual shared responsibility provision calls for each individual to have minimum essential coverage (MEC) for each month, qualify for an exemption, or make a payment when filing his or her federal income tax return.

However, U.

S. citizens or residents living abroad for at least 330 days within a 12 month period are treated as having MEC during those 12 months and thus will not owe a shared responsibility payment for any of those 12 months. Also, U.

S. citizens who qualify as a bona fide resident of a foreign country for an entire taxable year are treated as having MEC for that year.

U.

S. citizens living outside the U.

S:

U.

S. citizens living in a foreign country are not required to get health insurance coverage under the Affordable Care Act. If you're uninsured and living abroad, you don't have to pay the fee that other uninsured U.

S. citizens may have to pay.

Generally, health insurance coverage in the Marketplace covers health care provided by doctors, hospitals, and medical services within the United States. If you're living abroad, it's important to know this before you consider buying Marketplace insurance.