Help With Turkish Explanation for Protests?

Rate this topic

mrs

Merhaba guys.

So, my nice landlady is so very sweet that she wants me to go with her to a daytime protest tomorrow in Istanbul. I tried to explain that I couldn't do so because my Dad wouldn't allow me to, but the language gap was too big to get the point across. I really want to be able to explain so that she isn't offended so I was hoping that you guys could give me some help with phrasing some sort of explanation. I don't want to use Google Translate because I know it's notoriously bad with Japanese and I assume the same is true of Turkish.

Please help! I don't want to hurt her feelings by just saying something like Hayir.

I'm very pleased to hear you aren't going Paks, that is the very last thing you should be doing, especially as you are a foreigner. I hope someone will be able to help you. My Turkish isn't good enough Posted Image

Protests may start of peacefully but anything can and does happen, I hear they were using gas and water cannons in Taksim tonight. We don't want to see you on the tv or in the newpapers either.

Oh dear. I am a bit afraid that my host is being polite and not telling me about certain things. I could hear some questionable noises earlier but she said that things were only bad in Ankara...

I'm not afraid, and I'm very glad to be here, but yes, I do think it is best if I don't go out to a protest.

Thanks Abi, I will await someone with cok guzel Turkce skills! (My keyboard resists Turkish letters...)

As you can see, my own Turkish is horrible! Although it was very nice that tonight my landlady was so kind as to say that I am learning fast!

Posted Image Hope someone who understands Turkish can help you with that refusal. yeah, it is a bad idea for a foreigner to get involved into their protest. It can be dangerous, and my local friend told me that some foreign students got arrested because they showed up there. They were accused of spying and were deported. I would never go to these places after my nasty experience with the tear gas thing. Posted Image

Unfortunately, I am just starting to learn Turkish and I am not even able to carry on daily conversations in Turkish. Posted Image

I agree it is not a good idea for you to get involved in the protests. You could tell her that it's not a good idea because foreigners were arrested and deported.

Iyi bir fikir değil çünkü yabancılar casusluk suçlanan ve sınır dışı edildi.

If you want to keep it simple: Çok teşekkür ederim ama olmaz - thank you very much but it is not possible/I cannot.

I agree it is not a very wise idea from your host but I don't think you even have to get into the details of why you don't want to go or whatever, just don't go. Fen is right, it is not your fight, and getting involved in any political event, peaceful or not, is not a good idea when you are not in your own country.

Even after 5 years living here, I consider myself only as a paying guest in Turkey since I only have a residence permit and not Turkish nationality.

Hmmm, guys, I have a simple Turkish question that I can't seem to figure out online.

I've been told that "___ Senyormusunuz" is do you like ___? and that the response would be "____ senyorum" for I like ___. I can't seem to find the proper spelling for this though, and so I think I must have misheard or something like that. Do you guys have any idea what I should have written down for those phrases?

Seviyormusunuz is the question and Seviyorum is the answer if you like it or Sevmiyorum if you don't.

Çukurbağlı's blog. Warning - takes you off the forum and into the www.wilderness

Paks, I'm sure your hostess was just being polite to invite you to the protests. If she wants to know why you won't go, just say "Babam izin vermez" (My Dad won't let me). Turks generally have a lot of respect for parents' wishes, so that should set her straight ! :)

Glad to see you seem to be enjoying your visit so far ! Posted Image

Thanks! And yes, I'm enjoying it! I'm already learning Turkish and my class hasn't even started yet!

(I'm also learning that some of my text books and Rosetta Stone were wrong half the time they taught me words... Posted Image )

Hi Paks,

i just saw the comments but you realy shouldnt be going to protest.. you may get caught by the police and deported...

you can say to your landlady that ( I would love to come with you but i am sorry, i am a foreigner and if the police get me they will send me back to my country..)

in turkish ( sizinle gelmeyi cok isterdim ama ben bir yabanciyim . polis beni yakalarsa sınır disi eder.) wr,te this down and show her..she probably will understand you then...Posted Image

Thanks! And yes, I'm enjoying it! I'm already learning Turkish and my class hasn't even started yet!

(I'm also learning that some of my text books and Rosetta Stone were wrong half the time they taught me words... Posted Image )

Posted Image I am using Rosetta Stone too for my Turkish learning. LOL

I like RS, it just... gets words wrong sometimes. I've used it before for Japanese and Arabic and French and it sometimes disappoints me. But overall, it's very useful to hear the language again and again if you aren't in Turkey with it sounding out all around you. :)