My experience with Turkish culture

Rate this topic

I had such a good laugh reading through some of the threads in this section. There were so many times where I was like omg that is so true haha I thought I was the only one who thought this. I thought I would just share some of my ideas on things I found different here. I live with my bf and his fam for over a year now and there have been many things I noticed different lol.

- Cleaning! Omg do Turkish women ever stop cleaning I feel so dirty?? I am usually known to be really clean back home but here I feel like I am not up to standard lol. Wearing those house slippers all the time! Making the bed and shaking the sheet out the window! I really hate that because sometimes back home I leave the house and don't make the bed but here its like you don't just make the bed you remake the bed.

- Those white embroidered cloth things that Turkish women put everywhere in their house that look so 1980s!

- Not knowing some family members names because you have to call them eniste or hala. It was really hard for me to adjust to the name thing at first calling people by their name followed by teyze or amca - I really felt like it made my communication awful because I barely called people by these names I just tried to catch their eye and then talk with them. I am more relaxed with it now though. But I definitely prefer how in english we call people just by their names. And oh when I get married and I have to call my parents in laws anne and baba - that is gona be so hard for me.

- When you arrive at someones home or people arrive at your home and there are so many people you have to kiss. God I just wana say hello and sit down lol.

-Being a guest in someones home and knowing you have to eat something you don't like out of respect - many awful memories of that but its good when your hungry and the food is nice :D

- saw the thread about turkish children haha so true why are children always awake so late. I was going crazy firstly when all my bfs little cousins would be here until 11 at night it was too much! They even had school the next morning and they would be doing their homework at 9. There is no routine at all. Am used to it by now ha.

- turkish men always sitting on the streets outside their shops etc like they seem like women gossiping on the streets. and at the pazar its mostly turkish men who work this but usually back home women work at the markets. oh and they always have those prayer beads in their hand.

- when you go shopping and the people who work there follow you around - leave me alone I just wana shop! Obviously in the tourist areas its worse as they know you are foreign but even here in Istanbul in the big supermarkets they follow you although they don't talk.

-turkish women gossiping - well lets be honest all women gossip :P haha but I mean they always have something to say about someones relationship or marriage. and the amazing power that turkish women have over their childrens lives. Thankfully I get along with my MiL but I wouldn't wana imagine if we didn't she would make my life hell.

- cats! everywhere ..omg

-summer time and people having mangal (bbq) everywhere, and those floppy plastic thing they use to get the mangal going lol

- security guards everywhere - when you go to the shopping centre and they check the boot of your car, when you have to get your bag scanned before you enter the shopping centre - it seems so unnecessary and a waste of the states money.

- the way old people are so respected - love that and its something definitely we lack in western culture I think

haha well there are lots more I just can't think now. I love it here though! If I think of more later I will post them.

Yes, there are many things that you have to get used to if you come to live in Turkey. :)

thought of a few more.

Have any of you noticed that when you have a meal with Turkish people (at home or a restaurant) it has to happen quickly? Its like starter main dessert and clean up! When we go out to the restaurant I feel like we are there just to eat and not to talk lol just eat and go. And at home when we have big meals like when theres more people, you want to just relax and talk in between meals but the women are always too worried about getting the dishes off the table and cleaned. I just wana say oh my God just sit down and we will clean them later when everyone goes.

Oh and as I was watching tv I thought of this one. Those awful dating shows :P Esra Erol and Su gibi - oh God have you seen the people who go on those shows hehe but Turkish women are hooked on these shows!

You made me laugh Destiny with your posts as it made remember all my first impressions when I first came here and now accept as normal.

It would make interesting reading if our Turkish members wrote about their first impressions of other countries and what they found strange if they have been outside of Turkey.

Somewhere a while back I read a blog or article written by an English or American person living full-time in Turkey who wrote a very amusing account of going back on visits to her home country and her reactions to things she had taken for granted growing up in the UK/US and which she then found weird looking at them with Turkish eyes. Does that ring a bell with anyone?

Hehe........one thing that comes to mind is (when I was in the UK), the toilets not having running water inside the bowl ---- I got so used to it in TR, I really missed it ! And also not having a bin there for the TP, it felt "not right" throwing it into the bowl ! But then, the plumbing is so much superior there, the toilet almost never got clogged.

There's other things too, but that's the main thing that came to mind immediately. Posted Image

I must find that article, it was written in a much more amusing style than I could do, but I was reminded of it when I was in the UK for a couple of days last year and I kept being surprised at people walking into the house in their shoes! And my mother looked at me oddly when I placed my hand on the wall socket in the kitchen very firmly before pulling out the plug!

• 3 weeks later...

Oh do turkish people not put toilet paper in the toilet? I didn't know that I think the family I live with do.

Few more thoughts hehe:

when someone gets married or goes to the army, the beeping of the cars!

now that is ramadan, has anyone else heard those loud drums for suhoor? They certainly wake you up! No need for any alarm ha.

also I generally do not like going to dinners in other peoples homes. Its such an ordeal, I never know what do be doing with myself. As a girl I always feel like I have to be checking in the kitchen to make sure the people don't want any help and I am just not relaxed. When people have tea I feel like I have to be the one who gives them more tea when they are finished. Its like not my home they should be doing this stuff themselves ha! And for any other girls out there who were going to be the gelin - did you ever feel you were just being showed off - this is my gelin etc - oh she is lovely. Cringeeee

It is weird though the things you pick up that you never thought you would do and even if you didn't live in Turkey you would continue to do them. Like I definitely think people wearing shoes in their home is so dirty now.

Ha ha ha, Destiny I laughed so much at your post. The security guard thing at shopping centres completely amazed me, when they wanted to search my handbag I was really taken aback. Your right about meals being eaten and cleared away quickly, the only time I found this doesn't happen is at breakfast......perhaps my mother in law isn't too keen to start the constant cleaning so early :)

• 4 weeks later...

Turkish coffee is served how you like it, it can be sweet, medium or without sugar. Obviously your in-laws have a sweet tooth and didn't consult you as to how you wanted it. Posted Image