How Can I Find a Good Job Teaching English in Izmir?

Rate this topic

Dilem23

I am currently undertaking a TEFL course and will be finished soon hopefully. However before I successfully finish I just wanted to know if anyone could give me an good tips and advice on how to go about trying to find a position in a private school or dershane in Izmir to teach English to students.

I do know Izmir very well as my father is from Izmir and I have decided that I no longer want to live in the UK and want to settle in Izmir after completing this course. 

I would appreciate if anyone could advice me on any useful information they could give me?

Hi Dilem, thankfully this has been covered extensively in the Teaching English forum, and probably the Izmir forum as well, have a look at the topics there when you have some time. We've had a few new members recently who were doing the same thing. And any questions you have after that, feel free to post them! I think Izmir is a great place to be and teach.

Thank you very much, I will definitely have a look and read at Izmir Forum. I absolutely love Izmir and the people, so hopefully I will teaching there soon too! Thank you again:)

Good evening

Yes I do hold a Turkish citizenship, I am glad that it would be easier for me. I have already been contacted by a few people from Izmir and have got a phone interview too! which I am happy about.

Thank you for your response.

I have heard a lot of information about not telling them that I know Turkish (although I do a little bit) and just tell the company that I am a native speaker (which I am) as, like you said, I wont be paid as much as a native speaker teacher would be paid.

So I am confused as to how I should approach the company..

Do tell them that I know Turkish or just keep it simple and tell them I just know English but as my Father is Turkish I have a Turkish citizenship?

Thank you

I am confused as to why you are trying to hide your Turkish identity - just tell them that you are a Turkish and have lived all your life in the UK.

A native speaker is not necessarily a better English teacher.

You will be paid what your employer thinks you are worth - after you tell them what you think you are worth!!!

Izmir has a number of private schools where they teach English among other languages e.g German, French etc.so I would suggest you contact a number of these schools.

MEF is the only International school in Izmir where the language of instruction is English.

Good luck

I am confused as to why you are trying to hide your Turkish identity - just tell them that you are a Turkish and have lived all your life in the UK.

A native speaker is not necessarily a better English teacher.

You will be paid what your employer thinks you are worth - after you tell them what you think you are worth!!!

I am not trying to hide my Turkish identity, I've just heard from people from the UK that has gone over to Turkey to do teaching that they have told them they don't know how to speak Turkish, so they can get a job quicker.

I just wanted to know if this was the case, I personally do not want to hide my Turkish identity but I just wanted to know other people opinions as to how true this was.

I do agree with you GDB - I also want just want to tell them I am Turkish but born and lived in the UK all my life.

Thank you very much for all your advices.

GDB: It's not true that you are paid what you're worth. It's a fact that homegrown and native teachers have a pay difference and quite often a big one at that.

In my old school, I was paid 100% more than another teacher who was born in America, spoke perfect native English but, because she was Turkish with a kimlik she was paid accordingly.

It is not always the case that native speakers get more. In Ankara, Mrs Fil got the same as her native speaker colleague, but mrs fil worked half day and the native speaker worked full day. A lot of people in the private sector keep very quiet about what their actual salary is, or are told by their employer to lie about how much they get. Pay is usually negotiable, if it isn't there are plenty of other employers out there.

You advise her to carry a dog to an interview? Some sort of esoteric Britishism I am sure. My dictionary defines whippet as: A dog of a small slender breed originally produced as a cross between the greyhound and the terrier or spaniel, bred for racing

So then I went to a Wiki page which is about British Words not widely used in the United States nope, no whippet there either???

The UK and the US, two countries connected by a common ocean and divided by a common language... (Oscar Wilde or George Bernard Shaw, take your pick)

I'd just have one whippet, and a ferret in my overcoat pocket too.

Çukurbağlı's blog. Warning - takes you off the forum and into the www.wilderness

What, no flat cap Cukur?

Yes, Hobbitt, we speak different languages. The grammar is different as well as lots of words so no wonder it's difficult for the poor people who are trying to learn English! Even on computers we are given the choice of UK or US English. :D

I'd just have one whippet, and a ferret in my overcoat pocket too

When you said you 'just' have, I thought that you meant that you were not bothering with the flat cap. :D

Yes, Hobbitt, we speak different languages. The grammar is different as well as lots of words so no wonder it's difficult for the poor people who are trying to learn English! Even on computers we are given the choice of UK or US English. Posted Image

From a totally biased and classist point of view, horse racing is for the upper classes, next down is greyhound racing and at the bottom of the pile is whippet racing, which ties in well with the flat cap and muffler. In case that isn't in the US dictionary, muffler - a thick scarf (= long piece of cloth worn around the neck) Posted Image as worn by our friend here.Posted Image

Where I come from we have no truc with whippets. We are too busy munching on jellied eels. Delicious. As Dilem is from Hackney, it should be them, not whippets, which she uses in any interview.

But to return to topic, I don't think there is much point in concealing who one is when applying for a job. But try to negotiate the best deal you can for yourself.