Sign in to follow this  
MazaraMon

Safe to Teach in Turkey

Rate this topic

Could anyone please share, with honesty, the current condition for foreign (particularly British or American) English teachers working/living in Turkey (in Istanbul and Ankara)? Is it safe to work in Turkey as an English teacher given the current events unfolding today? And what are the challenges or possible issues to be had for English female instructors? Thanks for any insight.

There are many inquiries about teaching in Turkey that you can browse in this forum.

Here for example: http://www.turkeycentral.com/topic/17811-hi-newbie-needing-help/

There are many teachers currently working in Istanbul who are on the forum, they may have a reply for you.

Safety? Istanbul is a city of 15+ million spread over 100 kilometres. It is a city resting on two continents, Europe and Asia and there are many schools and universities far away from the events in Taksim. At last count there were over 40 universities in the city. In "normal" times Istanbul, as compared to other large cities, is relatively safe, certainly as compared to some places in the United States.

Taksim square would be a good place to avoid if you are concerned about safety. I do not have a crystal ball so I cannot nor is there anyone on the forum who can tell you for certain what will happen in the near future in Istanbul and the country in general.

Follow the events on the Internet, look at the forum postings about the protests Istanbul Rising Up! You will then have to decide how safe it is.

Browse the forum a bit and follow the "New Content" page. If you still cannot find the answers you are looking for, come back here and ask more specific questions.

I saw a CNN article on this, but it was mostly for tourists in Istanbul:

Is Istanbul Safe for Tourists?

I don't know if that helps. I wouldn't hesitate to go to Istanbul to see sites which are away from the protest areas around Taksim. With some of the news coverage it sounds like the whole city is one big riot, and that's certainly not the case. Of course nobody would be interested in news coverage of the thousands of places where nothing is going on.

It would seem to me that if you stayed away from the protest zones, you'd be just fine. Anyone else feel free to disagree of course.